Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Empty Hypo Containers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

LiamChecks

I’m sure this has been asked before but how is everyone getting rid of their hypo barrels etc?

I’ve got a lovely collection of about 30 sitting in the shed from previous jobs and need an efficient way of getting rid of them, legally and quickly! ?

Cheers

Yes I have exactly the same problem, I spoke the the original supplier they won’t take them back and re fill them as if they leaked they would be liable new ones are guaranteed, I take mine to the local dump ware they go to land fill !,,, I am not happy about this at all but I can’t find any other option , I have been told they aren’t suitable for recycling!,,, selling them I don’t feel is an option if anyone wants some you are very welcome to them , I Waite until I have 6-10 put them in the car and to the dump they go . There must be literally millions of drums like this every year going the same way with all types of chemicals transported this way , if you come up with a solution let us know .

My local tip accepts stuff like that. They have a section for hazardous waste. I only take a couple at a time along with my household rubbish as I do use it on my own property. I doubt 30 would be accepted as household though so you may need to get a traders license.

That’s good I think they should be forced to provide recycling for there packaging
The only problem with that is the extra milage that could be required to return the odd one might produce more harmful emissions that disposing of the old container would. In an ideal world it would be good to have stronger, reusable containers that we could take to be refilled. Bit like the coffee shops that are offering a reduced price if you bring your own cup.
I think the gov should be promoting reuse and not as much recycling.

The only problem with that is the extra milage that could be required to return the odd one might produce more harmful emissions that disposing of the old container would. In an ideal world it would be good to have stronger, reusable containers that we could take to be refilled. Bit like the coffee shops that are offering a reduced price if you bring your own cup.
I think the gov should be promoting reuse and not as much recycling.
Yes I agree, for me though it’s only 300 yards from my house so would be easy to return them to the supplier , Evan if it was an option to take them back it would save a lot going to landfill.

Update: just had a waste collector get mine but I was just on the phone to PureSeal and they mentioned they are starting a recycle program again - as in, send them back the used hypo containers (have to be from pureseal) and they will discount future order.

I haven’t looked into properly yet but seems interesting.

Yes I have exactly the same problem, I spoke the the original supplier they won’t take them back and re fill them as if they leaked they would be liable new ones are guaranteed, I take mine to the local dump ware they go to land fill !,,, I am not happy about this at all but I can’t find any other option , I have been told they aren’t suitable for recycling!,,, selling them I don’t feel is an option if anyone wants some you are very welcome to them , I Waite until I have 6-10 put them in the car and to the dump they go . There must be literally millions of drums like this every year going the same way with all types of chemicals transported this way , if you come up with a solution let us know .
My understanding is they need to be removed by an approved waste disposal company. This is why businesses welcome more concentrated products as it leaves less waste.

Glad I came across this, have a dozen at my house that need going and literally have no idea what to do with them. Been to the local dump and not recyclable and I don't really want them going to land fill either. I might get hold of the local supplier and see whether they take them back or not. Seems crazy these companies don't recycle the old drums and reuse them.

Update as of 20/10/2023 - I use PureSeal for my hypo and have a trade account with them. They are now offering trade members the option to purchase x3 recycled hypo barrels filled with hypo of-course for a reduced £7.80 per barrel vs their normal price if they collect 3 barrels in return.

I keep my used barrels in the shed, PureSeal dropped my chems off and collected the 3 others with no fuss, now I have new stock and no old containers. Worth it guys.

Latest Posts

Back