Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fan jets vs pencil jets

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sorry video files are to big for uploading direct to the forum. You would need to upload to YouTube and then post the link here. 

After seeing somewhere about a rinse bar, I’ve started using this as well as the fans. You really do have to change your technique after being used to pencils. I’ve noticed as well @paul alan that I have to pull down on rinse instead of sweeping side to side. 
Yes mate, a 14" brush is best for pulldowns. You can also side to side, a new favourite of mine is circular motion with the rinse bar, it's flipping awesome as your scrubbing and rinsing in perfect harmony. So quick and easy with great results.

Question Regarding both fan jets,

i used to use them every day without any issues till they snapped , 3 month later i ordered some more ,

this time I can’t even get decent enough pressure to them , they just look like 6mm pencil jet, 

any ideas what could be the issue, nothing has changed regarding setup

Davy G has asked me to post this link to one of his videos for you guys who were enquiring about his technique with the fan jets we're currently using. Due to a "technical issue" with his new phone he's not able to post replies at the moment. Hopefully we'll work out the kinks in the next day or two so as you can continue to bump heads on the subject when he's back online. 

Thanks for posting Davy ? you would be even quicker If you were using an Xtreme 18 ?

a year or two ago I done some reviews on the ultimate brushes and thought the ultimate medium was a good winter brush and good for rinsing on.

I always used 100 degree when they came out but went back to pencils because I kept snapping them ?the weekend I thought I would give my ultimate medium another try again just for rinsing on, so I changed the jets on one of them to 2mm pencils used both brushes on my own house the weekend after cleaning with them I honestly now think the 2mm pencil jets give a better rinse when rinsing on. 

Weird how things and mind can change?  I used the ultimate medium with pencil jets  today on a few three storey Houses today. 

Hi Den,  A lighter pole would no doubt be even quicker but quite honestly I don't want to get too soft. I consider this work good exercise for my health. I also need the 22ft length for reaching over a lot of large conservatories and ground floor extensions. I want to use one pole outfit when working and not to be wasting my time changing. I will propably get an extreme 22 at some time when the need arises for lighter gear. 

I feel that the combination of : SLX 22 pole, swivel, extreme Sill Brush, 100 degree fan jets, Univalve, and hoseless fitting are the sweet spot combination for me when doing normal windows cleans. 

We have another SLX 22 without a swivel in the van which I use for rough work (heavy first cleans and gfs etc) and it's fitted with a Medium Mixed Sill Brush and 100 degree fan jets. This is the same combination that my son uses as his everyday outfit. 

No matter what folk say, I just can't see how two pencil jets producing two circles of water can possibly be any better or more efficient than a pair of 100 degree fan jets which fill the whole brush when the water is contained and controlled by keeping the brush lightly against the window. Nor can I see pencil jets or rinsebars being as frugal and efficient with the water. 

Each to their own though mate. Long live diversity. ??

I used to use a slx 22 with a sill brush with red fan jets then went to the slx18 and used he Slx22 when needed 3 storey houses etc.  when my son started I got him slx18 and Slx25 as he is a lot shorter than me. 

I now use clx4,extreme18,25 and 35 just like you all our poles are equipt with swivels, univalves, tubeless  and electric reels I find this set up very efficient. 

when the pencils Jets are against the glass they makes two large circles of water admitting the circles don't meet in the middle but the heavier weight of the rinse washes all the small bits of debris away better and I find it easier/heavier  tomake head of water when brushing up for rinsing on. 

When I used to breed British finches I remember getting lots advice as a kid and one bit of advice was 'If it works for you don't change it' 

after experimenting last weekend with two Identical brushes on the same windows with the same flow rate apart from the jets types I can honestly say IMO that the rinse was better with the pencils. 

I really don't think it was a placebo effect so to speak ?

But like the statement above 'if it works for you don't change it' that statement as done me proud over the years ? 

14 hours ago, Johnathon 1988 said:

Davy G has asked me to post this link to one of his videos for you guys who were enquiring about his technique with the fan jets we're currently using. Due to a "technical issue" with his new phone he's not able to post replies at the moment. Hopefully we'll work out the kinks in the next day or two so as you can continue to bump heads on the subject when he's back online. 

I wondered what the noise was at first, I thought some one was sanding something down ? 

I use 50 degree fan jets. I have tried the 100 degree jets but couldnt get the knack of them, and were harder to be accurate with. Found the 50s to be a happy medium, easier to be accurate, good flow and great on hydrophobic glass. Im probably one of a handful left that use them since the 100s came out, but they work best for me. 

On 28/10/2019 at 17:07, Johnathon 1988 said:

Thanks for taking the time to  make the recording and post it.

It's surprising just how different we all are, I suppose there are as many ways to pole a window as there are window cleaners.

Fan jets aren't for me, I couldn't clean a window like that and walk away not being 100% sure. I always go from left to right on the top frame, fully square into the corners and slow down on the second pass to get a nice flow of water onto the frame, then Ill go about the glass, side and bottom framework. On that type of window, I would have cleaned the little opener first of all, then the pane below it last, I would have very slowly run my bristles into the gap below the opener to draw any water out of the seal before rinsing below.

I suppose in our industry there is no gold standard, no hard and fast rules to follow. We are probably all self taught, with one goal in mind, to earn a living providing an "adequate" service to paying customers and in that respect we are successful in our chosen profession.

One things for sure we'll never ever see eye to eye on all things pole related, and what a boring forum it would be if we did, we wouldn't get replies to our posts, just a load of likes.

Thanks again for taking the time and putting yourself out there at the risk of critic from others, if more people did as we've done it would make for some interesting viewing.

Question Regarding both fan jets,

i used to use them every day without any issues till they snapped , 3 month later i ordered some more ,

this time I can’t even get decent enough pressure to them , they just look like 6mm pencil jet, 

any ideas what could be the issue, nothing has changed regarding setup
Sorry mate, I've no idea what could be causing the problem. I've never had any major issues with either type of fan jets.

Only things that I've had on very rare occasions are : dirt in the jet. Remedy was to gently pick it out if it was on the outside of the jet. Disconnect the tee-piece (to get it completely out of the system) and blow back through the jet with an air-line if the blockage was in the inside.

Other issue is, about maybe half dozen or so broken jets in the six and a half years I've been using them. First the red 50 degree jets and for quite a while now I've been solely using the 100 degree fan jets. A cheep, quick and easy fix as I always carry a good stock of essential spares. . 

Good luck with getting it sorted. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some serious water usage Paul Alan. I’d try turning the flow down at least 50 %. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eek!! Open to the world! I'll have to think about it. 

Thanks for getting back, Gav. 
Hi Dave,

on YouTube make the privacy setting so that only those with a link can find and view it. That way it’s not open to the general public. Post the link here and then only forum members will view it. ... or those you message or email a link to.

Sorry mate, I've no idea what could be causing the problem. I've never had any major issues with either type of fan jets.

Only things that I've had on very rare occasions are : dirt in the jet. Remedy was to gently pick it out if it was on the outside of the jet. Disconnect the tee-piece (to get it completely out of the system) and blow back through the jet with an air-line if the blockage was in the inside.

Other issue is, about maybe half dozen or so broken jets in the six and a half years I've been using them. First the red 50 degree jets and for quite a while now I've been solely using the 100 degree fan jets. A cheep, quick and easy fix as I always carry a good stock of essential spares. . 

Good luck with getting it sorted. ?
Sorry I missed this ,

I eventually sorted , I moved the pump bit further down on side of tank , so I thought I’ll put it back where it originally was , near the top , pressure is a lot better , didn’t think that would of made any difference but it did 

I thought I would give pencils a try & wow, I feel naked after last few years with fans, it feels like not much coming out so makes u rinse more.. for first time ever I ran out of water.. I thought was airlock  ut realised was out!! Fortunately pump all fine now. With pencils what is everyone's pencil technique?? I think I'm over rinsing 

I thought I would give pencils a try & wow, I feel naked after last few years with fans, it feels like not much coming out so makes u rinse more.. for first time ever I ran out of water.. I thought was airlock  ut realised was out!! Fortunately pump all fine now. With pencils what is everyone's pencil technique?? I think I'm over rinsing 
I hate fan jets with a passion , we rinse using pencil jets with the brush vertical so one jet is above the other start at the top and come down the window doing it like that rinses the window twice . 

Back