Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First job pricing and struggling to get!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

If you want to price something then you need a plan. I go for £1 a window, door and a bit extra for garage door. Never had a problem with it. If its a nightmare of a job then I price a lot higher so I don't get it. If its a job I'm not sure about then I put myself in the home owners shoes and think what I would be happy to pay each month, which works as well.

When you carry out a jet wash start telling the customer, you can have a free window clean. Just factor it into the price. Then if they are happy with the job ask them if they want an every four week window clean service. Plus the neighbours will see you jet wash and window clean and may approach you.

I offer a range of external cleaning services, window cleaning is my bread and butter and takes priority, but I do have spare days every month which get filled up with add-on work.
This is exactly what I’m trying to achieve, just the other way round to you.

Thank you!

If you want to price something then you need a plan. I go for £1 a window, door and a bit extra for garage door. Never had a problem with it. If its a nightmare of a job then I price a lot higher so I don't get it. If its a job I'm not sure about then I put myself in the home owners shoes and think what I would be happy to pay each month, which works as well.
Is that £1 per window or £1 per piece of glass?

This is exactly what I’m trying to achieve, just the other way round to you.

Thank you!
As Thl4kel was saying regarding Window Cleaning. This job is the magnet to achieve other jobs. This plan has worked for decades and won't change. Its because you meet customers every month and will come to you for add-ons or anything they want done. That's why I do windows and I'm a joiner to trade plus it gives you a consistent monthly income.

Is that £1 per window or £1 per piece of glass?
I'm a £1 a window but £2 for a bay window. This pricing is for Scotland and seems to work everytime.

The thing that has got me a higher conversion rate.... Uniform and signwriting. I find that showing you are professional rather than just doing it for weekend money and beer tokens gives the customer much more respect for you, your pricing, and your knowledge. It also has given me at least £100 monthly in walk-ups from people seeing the Van etc. I think I am probably on about a 80+% conversion rate including all the canvassing since I started 2 months ago. (not currently canvassing though given the pandemic!). But most homes are majority 2-3bed semi's with the odd terraced home and averaging £15 a house down in mansfield.

Hi all! I’ve just got into window cleaning, all my new kit arrived a few days ago but I’m have trouble securing jobs... probably down to price.

the first job I quoted on was windows , conservatory and a lean too and quoted £130 ... didn’t get it

2nd was a massive conservatory and windows... £130 didn’t get it

3rd front and back gutters ..£55 didn’t get it

4th front and back gutters ... £40 ... didn’t get it!

5th - windows , guttering , conservatory- £80

my bread and butter work is jet washing and the majority of that is acid washing new builds.

any advice on where I’m going wrong??

thank you 
Unfortunate-sounds as if you are not selling it properly-I think I put a post on here a few years ago on how to sell gutter cleaning if you canufind it pm me and I'll run through it with you-tbh you should be able to sell cleaning the gutters on a dog's kennel for £40 ??

Unfortunate-sounds as if you are not selling it properly-I think I put a post on here a few years ago on how to sell gutter cleaning if you canufind it pm me and I'll run through it with you-tbh you should be able to sell cleaning the gutters on a dog's kennel for £40 ??
Thanks mate, I’ll have a look the post 

I noticed a window cleaning company putting minimum prices on their vans. I think that's a good idea and will be redesigning my van with minimum prices on it. Window cleaning £8 minimum and Guttering cleaning minimum £65 which I found customers willing to pay that price.

I noticed a window cleaning company putting minimum prices on their vans. I think that's a good idea and will be redesigning my van with minimum prices on it. Window cleaning £8 minimum and Guttering cleaning minimum £65 which I found customers willing to pay that price.
Well I will be doing it Davy and let you know if it works. I always try something first rather than rely on opinions of others now.

For garage doors I generally charge £5 for a single, £8 for two singles or a double. When I started out I was just charging a couple of quid but I felt it wasn't enough, also customers would often wait until they were filthy. That pricing feels just right for me. 

For garage doors I generally charge £5 for a single, £8 for two singles or a double. When I started out I was just charging a couple of quid but I felt it wasn't enough, also customers would often wait until they were filthy. That pricing feels just right for me. 
I do them every month because its in with the clean and another important point is where they are located now. Everyone sees the garage door first if its connected to their house that's the reason I like cleaning it. I have also begun cleaning the front pvc door if white with the pink stuff. Did my mum's and she told everyone and they all want it done. Its just a one off and makes the maintenance cleans easy to do.

Well I will be doing it Davy and let you know if it works. I always try something first rather than rely on opinions of others now.
Fair do's, Scottish. You're right to make your own decisions. I didn't like using that emoji but I was unable to post a comment at the time only an emoji. It happens quite often for some reason. I meant no disrespect whatsoever. ?

I'll tell you, now that I have been able to get on properly my reasoning for not being comfortable with advertising a minimum price:

Most of my jobs are between £15 and £25 at 6 weekly. I would not feel comfortable turning up with a low minimum price on the van. I feel I would be cheapening myself and I would also be inviting negative remarks from existing and potential customers with my prices in reality. I think it would be inviting enquiries from lower income people expecting bargain basement prices. I'm not disrespecting genuine low income people but I would like people to be able to afford a fair professional rate and not be struggling. I also feel that it would be inviting enquiries from people just wanting a cheap job and who would be unlikely to be good, long term customers. From a business standpoint I would rather be seen as a Waitrose type quality than a B&M or Asda. Not knocking either but just saying that it's important to set the customers respect for ourselves at a high level.

Please don't be in any doubt that I'm on your side. ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back