Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First Water Butt Set up - few questions.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bart90

Hello Folks.

Have just set up my first Water Butt for Harvesting.  Now just waiting for the rain......

In the meantime though I've a few questions if anyone can help.  

1)  Has anyone tried fitting gutter brushes in the gutters to keep them clean and contaminants to a minimum?  I thought it might save having to keep clearing the gutter out periodically.

2)  Assuming the Water Butt water is around the 50 ppm mark, do you attempt to put some resin in some tights/socks on its way into the water butt or is the best option to pump it through the DI's?  If the latter can anyone recommend a pump suitable for this?

3) How much water do you manage to Harvest?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Folks.

Have just set up my first Water Butt for Harvesting.  Now just waiting for the rain......

In the meantime though I've a few questions if anyone can help.  

1)  Has anyone tried fitting gutter brushes in the gutters to keep them clean and contaminants to a minimum?  I thought it might save having to keep clearing the gutter out periodically.

2)  Assuming the Water Butt water is around the 50 ppm mark, do you attempt to put some resin in some tights/socks on its way into the water butt or is the best option to pump it through the DI's?  If the latter can anyone recommend a pump suitable for this?

3) How much water do you manage to Harvest?

Thanks in advance.

I don't bother with harvesting water so I'm no expert. We did consider it briefly at one time but we don't get regular enough rain to guarantee a regular water supply.

But I did notice that the water coming off the garage roof with clean gutters was 4ppm. The same rain caught from the house roof was 35ppm. The only difference was the house has old concrete roof tiles where the garage roof is silver painted felt.

How much water could one collect is the same as asking how long is a piece of string. This last summer was very dry for us so we wouldn't have collected a drop of rain water in 3 months. Even wet Wales was very dry this year.

I harvest rain water I have 2 x 1000 ltr tanks and a 200 ltr water barrel .     the rain water goes into the 200ltr first that way all the dust and bits go into the 200ltr first ,when the water gets to the top then its flows into my 1000ltr tanks .  my rain waters roughly between 010 -025 tds .    years ago I tried resin ( 1 ltr of resin off ebay) in a sock stuck inside a cut off piece of down pipe .   off that I could get roughly 1000 ltr of water at 000-001 tds off 1ltr of resin ...  it helped but was a pain in the ****  to do .    collecting rain water is great but get a di vessel and 25ltr of resin .it will last aaggeeessss 

I harvest rain water I have 2 x 1000 ltr tanks and a 200 ltr water barrel .     the rain water goes into the 200ltr first that way all the dust and bits go into the 200ltr first ,when the water gets to the top then its flows into my 1000ltr tanks .  my rain waters roughly between 010 -025 tds .    years ago I tried resin ( 1 ltr of resin off ebay) in a sock stuck inside a cut off piece of down pipe .   off that I could get roughly 1000 ltr of water at 000-001 tds off 1ltr of resin ...  it helped but was a pain in the ****  to do .    collecting rain water is great but get a di vessel and 25ltr of resin .it will last aaggeeessss 
Thanks for that.  I will experiment a bit with my set up and see how it goes.  My gut feeling is to pump it through my DI's.  What pump would be suitable?  It needs to pump at a steady rate and not go through the DI's too fast. Any ideas?

Thanks for that.  I will experiment a bit with my set up and see how it goes.  My gut feeling is to pump it through my DI's.  What pump would be suitable?  It needs to pump at a steady rate and not go through the DI's too fast. Any ideas?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Streamflo-On-demand-Positive-Displacement-Diaphragm-Pump-12v-100psi-4-5Lpm-6Lpm/322565903957?hash=item4b1a6d1655:m:mvIhP4JXNueNQLezcjfyU1A:rk:1:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Lucas-12V-34AH-33AH-35AH-AGM-GEL-MOBILITY-SCOOTER-WHEELCHAIR-BATTERIES-/320967871033?hash=item4abb2d0a39

I used these to make a diy trolly wfp , and cos its on a trolly I can wheel it up to my 1000ltr ibc  and  hook it up to that and a di vessel ,and the flow controller on number 2 . thing is cos I was using resin in a sock it had to trickle through to get it to 000 .  could do about 200ltr in 6-7 hours . 

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back