Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flyer drops.. a waste of time / effort?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I got 2 crackers last month after targeting one street but I knew there was problems with the window cleaner. Now I have 4 customers on the street which is a doddle to do as they are next to each other.

In my experience the return is between 1-2%. Put 100 leaflets through and you will potentially get 1-2 customers. To actually get results you really need to be posting 500-1000 at a time. It does bring in work, they are a good source of new customers but people can't go at it expecting to get a customer in every street. The returns won't necessarily be immediate either, the main bulk will be but some may come a long time later. Had a new customer in October from a leaflet drop in March.

Leaflet drops are good for people who are not confident with knocking a door and asking if they need a window cleaner. They will provide work but they will not provide compact work, you may end up going street to street with one customer in each street. This will change over time if you keep at it and do a good job. 1% may be a poor return but realistically one man can drop 750-1000 leaflets in a day. If that only gives 1% thats still 10 customers. If you got 10 customers per day every single day you would have a full round in a few months.

I've also discovered the return can be much lower if the area you're targeting has a well know local window cleaner. I got slightly less than 1% on one drop of 800 leaflets but found out afterwards there is a local windy. I probably leafleted his house ? oh to be a fly on the wall when he received that leaflet. The estate was huge a on the side of a huge hill. At first no customers at all from his street which was at the bottom of the hill and more slowly as I went up, at the top I got the bulk of my customers I assume because they didn't know he exists. A few months later one of his neighbours got in touch, he used to clean hers but hadn't been back in months so she kept my leaflet and contacted me when she had enough of waiting.

There's a much much more important part however and thats how simple your leaflet is. You have between 3 and 5 seconds to catch the attention of the person reading the leaflet. If you have a business name and a bunch of bullet point jobs you do like...

Billy Bobs Cleaning Services

• Window cleaning
  • Gutter cleaning
  • Driveway cleaning
  • patio cleaning
  • Solar panel cleaning
  • conservatory cleaning
  • Free no obligation quote
  • friendly reliable service

etc etc etc....

You will lose your audience. They will see you as a general handyman and probably stick your leaflet in the recycling.

If you have something like

Billy Bobs window cleaning

Call for a free quote

You will get their attention, tell them quickly what you do and more than likely get a better response!

Most of the time it’s easier to cut out the middle man and just throw the leaflets in the recycle bin.

Door knocking and introducing yourself will gather far more compact work.

If no answer, then yes, it’s worth putting a leaflet through. 

Good luck.

Its pub time again ?.

Have a top weekend fellow windies ?

Yes, I agree with the 1% thing. But I think that is a decent return. Doesn't take too long to post 100 leaflets. Thing is, 1 customer gained usually turns in to 2 or 3 further down the line if you do a good job. Door knocking is best though IME. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As above you need to be door knocking, so 2-3 days after a leaflet drop go knocking those doors, last time I did drop 2-3 years ago I only leafleted the ones with dirty windows on a street I was targeting to increase my work on that estate, I noted every house number to target then went back 3 days later and got 6 out of 10 houses of those that were in but 2 said not bothered, fast forward I now have a mornings work in that street and only move the van once. 

If I could get 1% off leaflets, I’d be retired on a beach somewhere.

i think .2% is more realistic. 

Still wortth it though.

Royal mail charge about £60 to drop 1000. If you can pick up over £300 pa of work, then it’s worth it for sure.

We got lucky last week and a flyer reached the right person, £2000 of work.

Ive put loads out before and got zilch.

Good luck!

If I could get 1% off leaflets, I’d be retired on a beach somewhere.

i think .2% is more realistic. 

Still wortth it though.

Royal mail charge about £60 to drop 1000. If you can pick up over £300 pa of work, then it’s worth it for sure.

We got lucky last week and a flyer reached the right person, £2000 of work.

Ive put loads out before and got zilch.

Good luck!
Royal mail is a little different because they put them in with the junk mail they deliver daily, thats what has stopped me from going to them directly. I delivered mine with the Yellow pages last year and the results I got from the customers we were delivering yellow pages to were really poor compared to delivering the leaflet alone. I'm sure some people deliver them alone and still don't get 1% return of course thats just been my experience and the general consensus on previous posts.

Back