Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flyers/Leaflets - What Do You Guys Put In Them?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Other cleaner's experience in our area report that leaflets also have a very poor take up percentage generally. Unless your leaflet timing coincides with a cleaner who has stopped coming, retired etc. then your take up percentage is less than 1%.

The old fashioned way of looking for business was door knocking and customer referrals. Customer referrals has been our biggest growth area by far over the years.

Nowadays the younger new cleaners seem to pin their business hopes on Facebook and having a website with a good rating. That's all beyond me.

One of our customers had a nail and beauty 'bar' working from home. She had a Facebook page where she promoted new products and kept a running commentary of each day's activities and included any empty appointment slots. Her business promotion seemed to focus on her existing clientele who knew her name and her address. I could never fathom out how she expected to attract new customers who had never heard of her. I'm sure some new customers came in from word of mouth, but she did very little to put her name out there with other forms of advertising.  I've never seen a advert in any local newspaper etc.

One of the local window cleaners also does carpet cleaning. He regularly advertises in our local town newspaper along with other trades like plumbers, electricians and painter and decorators. With all the advertising he is still more busy with window cleaning. IMHO one of his downfalls is that he advertises pricing.  This means potential customers could have already made up their minds without even speaking to him. Potential customers switch off when they see hall carpets cleaned from £xx etc. The word from means the price will be higher as £xx is the lowest.
According to statstical data compiled from consumer surveys and Google search 56% of consumers are looking for information on prices when considering a local contractor. So there are clearly pro's and cons of publishing prices but it could well be an advantage if people already have an idea of what you charge and it may get rid of timewasters wanting something for nothing.

You could also add a small print caveat (but clearly visible and not hidden) that stipulates certain conditions, i.e. prices are for customers wanting regular ongoing service, not for one-offs etc etc. Yes, some will try it on and not actually want a regular clean but if it helps grow your regular customer base at the same time that's what matters. And it still allows for leeway if you want to charge extra because of the state they're in or just decline the job if they are that bad.

Besides, you're only talking about a thousand or few thousand flyers to drum up business. It's not a long term obligation you have to offer every future customer or the basis of a business plan. It's a limited offer, nothing more.

Back