Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Foot my ladder? :)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Not a chance id go up them ladders ! Just miss the window, people would rather you do that than injure yourself

hi joshua, just to say you got me thinking and i did the same climb last year...it was a side window and the car was parked in the way of my ladder so i just told the lady i would knock a pound off and leave it this time.....but as i was walking away.....well i had to try.....as for the footing that was easy it went against next doors house so that wasnt going anywhere...i fully extended to the three rungs overlap like you had and dropped the ladder down at the same angle you had it and crawled up slowly right above the car...cleaned the window and left...didnt even ask for my pound ....still she is a lovely customer and always makes me a cuppa.....would i do it again....i dont know a lot depends on my mood at the time but yes i have done ...probably a lot crazier things in my life but it is a fact that as you get older life takes on a different outlook and i look back and am just so thankful i survived till now......keep telling us your stories though and i will get a pic up soon of my similar climb..

People wonder why this forum is going down the pan???
Here we have a guy who is new to the forum and everyone is jumping on his back. Ok I agree that ain't safe and I wouldn't do it either but we have all done similar "not so safe things" in the past. Instead of name calling and **** taking, we should be encouraging him to use safer methods and not the one he has used in the pic.

Back on topic, as another guy said, next time try using your ladder as steps and trad pole the windows, not hard with a bit of practice and a lot safer. Good luck.

P.S not aimed at all posters, I know some of you have been constructive.

Good post paulio. I felt sorry for joshua. We all live and learn in this job. Hope he hasnt taken this too badly.

@ Josh, we've all done daft things on ladders, probably still do. I got stuck on top of a balcony once. The ladder blew away while I was cleaning, no mobile phones back then. I had to shout for help and a bloke rescued me fortunately /emoticons/smile.png. It's a learning curve. When you're as old as a lot on here, you'll look back on that picture and think, what a plonker I was. Don't be embarrassed, we've all been there mate :thumbsup:.

yeh we all missin you now..... yeh me got stuck on a roof once....i got up on tiles okay to take down the chimney....and it went to plan great, i flung each brick nicely down to ground until i had the chimney where i wanted it and capped it of all nice....but could i get back to my ladder...er no...the dry masonry dust had settled on the tiles and they were like ice....the wife couldnt move the ladder.....but as luck would have it my mate was due to pass on his way home on his moped and the wife flagged him down, he moved the ladder to the front and i survived...i told you me done many crazy things in my youth but there is something to be said for getting older.....

Like it cnc. I was asked to point a chimney once by a bloke who had had a stroke and was wheel chair bound. Any way I get on the roof and I'm fumbling about trying to get a hold of something to get higher up the tiles. As I'm doing this, I hear the blokes wheel chair crunching along on the gravel. I'm thinking, oh f**k off will ya, I'm brickin' it here. I look down and he's only got a pair of binoculars trained on me /emoticons/biggrin.png.

i had to like that comment....messing customers flagstone with my blood.......yeh i could just imagine some of my custys oh what a mess youve made..glad your all right now....
cheers mate

Like it cnc. I was asked to point a chimney once by a bloke who had had a stroke and was wheel chair bound. Any way I get on the roof and I'm fumbling about trying to get a hold of something to get higher up the tiles. As I'm doing this, I hear the blokes wheel chair crunching along on the gravel. I'm thinking, oh f**k off will ya, I'm brickin' it here. I look down and he's only got a pair of binoculars trained on me /emoticons/biggrin.png.
oh that is soooo funnny....ta:) i really cant be watched its my thing...i am okay if left alone i will figure it out but oh god binoculars.....i did three ridge tile jobs in one day and cleaned a block of flats and was lucky as no one bothered me.... the second ridge was on the end but was a bit high for me but lucky there was a nice aerial to hang on too but it wouldnt look very good if anyone was watching....still all done and dusted till the next time the wind blows...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you have done the first clean by getting right close to the window, you should be able to do your regular clean from a pole with no trouble at all!...

Method statement to a risk assessment? Here we have a chap who probably works for himself without any other employees and simply does a job as he sees it. He's realised his ladder is going to probably move if he used that ridiculous angle so he's footed the ladder with a car. It won't move and the keys are in his pocket. He sees the risk differently to you other chaps. Perhaps he might now be persuaded to buy a small pole and pitch it where he thought he was too far away as he's had the p... ripped out of him.

We can all learn from our mistakes and from others and I don't think comments were made with any malice as we are all a friendly bunch on here.

Method statement to a risk assessment? Here we have a chap who probably works for himself without any other employees and simply does a job as he sees it. He's realised his ladder is going to probably move if he used that ridiculous angle so he's footed the ladder with a car. It won't move and the keys are in his pocket. He sees the risk differently to you other chaps. Perhaps he might now be persuaded to buy a small pole and pitch it where he thought he was too far away as he's had the p... ripped out of him.
i think no malice intended here just advice and messing about

look at me im a piggin bear who is really hairy:laugh:

At least @norm you don't go falling off ladders now overeaching /emoticons/biggrin.png

i think no malice intended here just advice and messing aboutlook at me im a piggin bear who is really hairy:laugh:

At the end of the day I'm sure all of us have done somet like that to get at a window. I've many times used my car tyre in the old days. He doesn't need wfp to do it just a pole. As said we learn by our mistakes & also as mentioned it was all said with tongue in cheek

I do this quite alot. It's not any trouble or dangerous, if you take care to set up right. I will always lay my ladders along the roof, it spreads the weight. You can do it with your vehicle sideways too. Great fun!!!

er....i just a bit worried about young joshua.... i miss him.... please please come back... i mean they took the **** out of my jumper and i still here..... by the way when i get organised i want a fully fledged bad jumper competition on here....we all have em.....

Cant see joshua coming back to be honest which is a real shame.

As for dodgy jumper competition.......well, seeing as things are warming up maybe it ought to be a dodgy shorts photo comptition. Cant wait to see yours cnc, but feel that shazzy in her hot pants ought to be the first photo........not that they will look dodgy!

wow with you on that mr taytay....er...hmmm....well my mum bought me some two pairs of shorts for xmas last year ...and well they are really for seventy year old men but me not like to waste them.....oh i just hate them but she is my mum ....and i too old too care any more...the hobo lives here...yeh i know what i am dreamin of tonight...its a good job shazzy aint reading this post...

Back