Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Forced to have water meter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Nosey

Hi. Got a letter from united utilities informing me they are coming to a fit a meter. I rang up and refused it. They said it’s part of an ‘enhancement scheme’. They came fitted everyone else’s on the street apart from mine and that was that. However one month later they have told me they are coming back to my house to fit it, but I don’t have to switch over payment wise to the meter and can continue to just pay the fixed rate. But if I do sell the house, the next people will automatically be switched on to a meter. I’ve got a bad feeling that they will force me to use it in a few years, if they are measuring my water intake for monitoring purposes. Are anybody else experiencing this in their local area?

Thanks

Hi. Got a letter from united utilities informing me they are coming to a fit a meter. I rang up and refused it. They said it’s part of an ‘enhancement scheme’. They came fitted everyone else’s on the street apart from mine and that was that. However one month later they have told me they are coming back to my house to fit it, but I don’t have to switch over payment wise to the meter and can continue to just pay the fixed rate. But if I do sell the house, the next people will automatically be switched on to a meter. I’ve got a bad feeling that they will force me to use it in a few years, if they are measuring my water intake for monitoring purposes. Are anybody else experiencing this in their local area?

Thanks
You need to go to your App Store or if you're on android phone type into Google - (free Telegram android app download) (Dont d/l the Google Play Store Version, that and the Apple Store version are moderated for content and don't give you access to most useful groups) Install that app on your phone or laptop - search for a group called - Utility Meters Replaced, there you can fid a lot of help from people with a legal background who can advise you how to handle the situation so that you dont have to have the meter installed, they have letters you can download to send to the utility companies. By law they cannot force you to have it changed, once they get switched legally your can't remove them....

You need to go to your App Store or if you're on android phone type into Google - (free Telegram android app download) (Dont d/l the Google Play Store Version, that and the Apple Store version are moderated for content and don't give you access to most useful groups) Install that app on your phone or laptop - search for a group called - Utility Meters Replaced, there you can fid a lot of help from people with a legal background who can advise you how to handle the situation so that you dont have to have the meter installed, they have letters you can download to send to the utility companies. By law they cannot force you to have it changed, once they get switched legally your can't remove them....
In practice, a water company can install a water meter and charge on that basis, if the household customer:

• uses an automatic watering device (such as a garden sprinkler);
  • automatically fills a swimming pool or pond;
  • has a large bath;
  • uses a reverse osmosis softening unit;
  • has a power shower;
  • is the new occupier of a property (provided an unmetered bill has not already been sent to that occupier); or
  • lives in an area which has been determined by the Secretary of State to be an area of serious water stress and subject to a metering programme as part of a plan to maintain secure water supplies.

In practice, a water company can install a water meter and charge on that basis, if the household customer:

• has a large bath;
  • has a power shower;
  • is the new occupier of a property (provided an unmetered bill has not already been sent to that occupier); or
  • lives in an area which has been determined by the Secretary of State to be an area of serious water stress and subject to a metering programme as part of a plan to maintain secure water supplies.
I like Northumbrian Water to be monitored for the amount of water they waste through burst pipes, there has been a leak in the next street over from me it's been ongoing for 10 days and no sign of yet getting fixed.

I really hope in our region we don't get forced to go on meters

I like Northumbrian Water to be monitored for the amount of water they waste through burst pipes, there has been a leak in the next street over from me it's been ongoing for 10 days and no sign of yet getting fixed.

I really hope in our region we don't get forced to go on meters

They need your compliance, that's why they are asking for you to agree to having it put in... Just say - N0
I'm not saying I agree with it, all I've done is go on a Government site and found the above.

• has a large bath;
  • has a power shower;
This is true. I told Thames water I didn’t want it but they said as the south east is one of the driest areas, it’s under serious water stress so metres are compulsory.
Our first bill is due the end of this month since having the metre, so should be interesting ???

Thanks
Depending how much water you use it might actually be cheaper on a meter than a standing charge , especially if you have a sub meter that you only have to pay for the water and not the sewage charge

I have found my water bill has gone down once I was on a meter it surprised me have been on a meter for around 5 years will be interesting to see how you get on

• has a large bath;
  • has a power shower;
Most houses in this day and age have a power shower , so guess the majority would have a meter . To be fair ime filling 3 vans a day and the charges aren’t that bad and ime on a meter only pay for the water for vans no sewage charge this makes a huge difference. I do think @THL4KEL is right with what he’s saying though a couple of the guys on our fire station work for SWW and they said you cannot be forced to have a meter but the water authority will try to force you have one put in but if you quote your legal rights they will back off . But if you move they are legally entitled to fit a meter for the new owners . I was afraid of what the water bill would be but it’s not that bad when you equate it to how much work you can do per £ of water , it’s still cheaper to produce your own rather than buy water at a spotless station , I wouldn’t worry about the bill knowing what I know now .

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’ve spoken to united utilities again today following your responses and they’ve told me that I will be kept on the current rates that I’m currently on and won’t be switched over to being charged by the meter unless I instruct them to do so. I tried to challenge the installation as we don’t need it. But seems as it’s on the pavement outside my home they have right to go ahead. Therefore if we sell the house. The buyers will be switched on to a meter rate instantlyt. It seems that this is the way it’s going here in our region. All the terrace housing in our town have had them installed it’s been a right nightmare for traffic. Lancashire isn’t an area where water is limited. I think we get more rain than anyone in England ?.

Interesting to read that some of you don’t pay for sewage. How does that work with waste water from personal use or do you have a premises that you run your business from?

I just get disgruntled when I receive a letter informing me that they are ‘enhancing’ our water supply to help identify where the leaks in their network are. When UU is the fourth worst for leaks and I’m pretty sure they won’t be around our homes.

Thanks for everyone’s responses. I’ve spoken to united utilities again today following your responses and they’ve told me that I will be kept on the current rates that I’m currently on and won’t be switched over to being charged by the meter unless I instruct them to do so. I tried to challenge the installation as we don’t need it. But seems as it’s on the pavement outside my home they have right to go ahead. Therefore if we sell the house. The buyers will be switched on to a meter rate instantlyt. It seems that this is the way it’s going here in our region. All the terrace housing in our town have had them installed it’s been a right nightmare for traffic. Lancashire isn’t an area where water is limited. I think we get more rain than anyone in England ?.

Interesting to read that some of you don’t pay for sewage. How does that work with waste water from personal use or do you have a premises that you run your business from?

I just get disgruntled when I receive a letter informing me that they are ‘enhancing’ our water supply to help identify where the leaks in their network are. When UU is the fourth worst for leaks and I’m pretty sure they won’t be around our homes.
On that note let them install it then go smash the dial in where they read it from job done ?

If you can prove that the water isn’t going back into the drainage system then for work purposes you don’t lay the sewerage charge on that water. You will need a sub meter for the water that goes to your van so you have two bills one for your house water and sewage charge and a water only charge for work , as far as I am aware all water companies do this .

I personally wouldn't agree to it I would tell them where to go... And I wouldn't be having any further correspondence with them. My house my land stay of it!!

I personally wouldn't agree to it I would tell them where to go... And I wouldn't be having any further correspondence with them. My house my land stay of it!!
I have asked for the manager to ring me back. I am going to fight it, so will see what happens after the call back tomorrow.

Latest Posts

Back