Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Forced to have water meter

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I personally wouldn't agree to it I would tell them where to go... And I wouldn't be having any further correspondence with them. My house my land stay of it!!
All fair and good in theory, but in this case the water access point is on the pavement beyond his property boundary, the reason when updates are made to people's water supply is when the waterboard takes the opportunity to either fit a meter or put an access point on the public pavement, that then falls beyond your property and your legal responsibility and into the hands of the water company

Manager called me back yesterday. She told that all properties within the north west that come under UU will be having a meter fitted over the next few years. Legally she said they are able to fit them, especially with the installation point not being on our grounds and because it’s for monitoring the water leaks in their network. They will only be able to enforce us to use it if we fall in to one of the categories part timer mentioned or if we become a water stressed zone.

I’ve got a feeling after what’s happened with Thames Water this year. A lot of firms will be trying to go in this direction.

No I didn’t mention the big bath or ro system ?.

Let them fit without your consent then.
I haven’t consented. I’ve told them no and she said I can’t stop them politely. I threatened the original advisor with parking my vehicle over the water point. But that’s unrealistic and not really feasible to do on a daily basis especially when I don’t know when they are coming. If the point was on my property then I guess I would have more leverage. But it seems I can’t do anything about it.

I haven’t consented. I’ve told them no and she said I can’t stop them politely. I threatened the original advisor with parking my vehicle over the water point. But that’s unrealistic and not really feasible to do on a daily basis especially when I don’t know when they are coming. If the point was on my property then I guess I would have more leverage. But it seems I can’t do anything about it.
Just keep an eye on the meter mate so you know when they switch you....

I don’t know why people panic so much about having a water meter.

I’ve had a water meter in my last 2 Houses.We use a lot of water in my house especially in summer.I run a 4040 and also sort another window cleaner out and it isn’t that much.

Considering what most claim to earn filling a 1000 litre IBC tank is peanuts it isn’t going to bankrupt anyone.

I don’t know why people panic so much about having a water meter.

I’ve had a water meter in my last 2 Houses.We use a lot of water in my house especially in summer.I run a 4040 and also sort another window cleaner out and it isn’t that much.

Considering what most claim to earn filling a 1000 litre IBC tank is peanuts it isn’t going to bankrupt anyone.
I agree with you. We are on a meter and Depending on the areas. But We pay in all about £10 per 1,000 l. Its definitely cheaper to pure at home than buying it at spotless.

With the Energy Bill being changed in parliament at the moment. Looks like we won't have a choice in the future. £15K fine and a year in prison if you're not compliant.

@Nosey sorry I'm a bit late to the party seeing this. You've probably seen this but I worked out that a cubic metre of water (1000 litres from the tap) was just under £4. So if your RO was set at about 40/60 pure to waste then 400 litres was £4 (I just rounded mine up to make it easier). You can calculate it with the figures they have on your water and your sewerage bill. That £4 is obviously before your RO Unit and associated costs. There's all sorts you can do and I'm sure alot of the more experienced guys on here will be able to advise on sub meters etc to help offset costs. Water meters are annoying but I don't think you'd be able to do much about it in the long term. Doesn't help that the sewerage system in alot of the UK is very old and is prone to leaks and all manner of other issues.

I'm on a water meter and it costs me roughly £600 per year for both household and window cleaning.i put £360 a year down as a business expense.im DI only and use around 1500-2000L per week.

I live on my own in a 1 bed council flat and work 20-25 hrs per week thats why my bill is so low.

Back