Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

They look good but what about brush changes as I have lots of wooden and leaded windows and change brushes a couple times a day that the only reason why I havnt ordered one.

also I had to use my Slx22 today for the last two jobs as my 18' pole hose split that only as a standard gooseneck hated it, havnt used my use my bungalow pole either as no swivel lol.

That is the only drawback at the moment. I believe Gardiner's have a q-loq version on trial at the moment. I hope it proves to be as good as this one and they market it.

The only way to change the brush quickly at the moment is to have JG connector above the Univalve and keep your spare brush permanently attached to a complete gooseneck/swivel and swap out the compete assembly above the Univalve.

Fortunately I don't often want to change my brush.

Used my SLX 25 today with the q-loq swivel on. It felt awkward compared to the new angled one on my everyday 22' pole.  Gotta get another on now to go on the 25
Funnily enough, the same happened to me. I had been using the angled one for a couple of weeks and then reverted back to the 90 degree QL version as I needed a different brush for a particular job. It was when I changed back to the 90 degree version that I realised just how much better the angled one was! Never used the QL one since!

Funnily enough, the same happened to me. I had been using the angled one for a couple of weeks and then reverted back to the 90 degree QL version as I needed a different brush for a particular job. It was when I changed back to the 90 degree version that I realised just how much better the angled one was! Never used the QL one since!
The issue with the quik loc one is that the pivot point is too far away from the brush. You lose that nice direct feel on the glass that you get with the direct connection and they are more prone to jackknifing. 

I haven't even attempted to change my swivel for pvc cleans because of how hard it is to get the clip off and onto the pole hose for the univalve. I just tighten the screw as tight as I can get it. It still manages to swivel  :1f44e:

The issue with the quik loc one is that the pivot point is too far away from the brush. You lose that nice direct feel on the glass that you get with the direct connection and they are more prone to jackknifing. 
No, the issue is the angle of the pivot point. A 10mm difference in pivot placement has no affect on a 90 degree swivel IMO but the angle does.

Sent using the http://Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

I haven't even attempted to change my swivel for pvc cleans because of how hard it is to get the clip off and onto the pole hose for the univalve. I just tighten the screw as tight as I can get it. It still manages to swivel  :1f44e:
My univalve is held on by one plastic cable tie at either end then via JG push fit connectors- I can easily disconnect it at any time.

No, the issue is the angle of the pivot point. A 10mm difference in pivot placement has no affect on a 90 degree swivel IMO but the angle does.

I disagree with your point on distance. As little as a 10mm difference changes the 'feel' of the brush and pivot on glass albeit less so on larger brushes. Take the pivoting squeegee as an example. Why is the Moerman so much faster, and for some, twitchier than the Wagtail. The pivot point on the Moerman is closer, not by much, but closer to the channel. Bob experimented with varying distances and found marked differences when the change was as little as a few mm. I however totally agree with your angle observation. This has been reinforced with me using Herman's prototype which uses a downward angle and without a doubt i'll be buying a couple of Gardiner's Angled Brush Sockets as soon as Peter has them in stock in Oz. 

I disagree with your point on distance. As little as a 10mm difference changes the 'feel' of the brush and pivot on glass albeit less so on larger brushes. Take the pivoting squeegee as an example. Why is the Moerman so much faster, and for some, twitchier than the Wagtail. The pivot point on the Moerman is closer, not by much, but closer to the channel. Bob experimented with varying distances and found marked differences when the change was as little as a few mm. I however totally agree with your angle observation. This has been reinforced with me using Herman's prototype which uses a downward angle and without a doubt i'll be buying a couple of Gardiner's Angled Brush Sockets as soon as Peter has them in stock in Oz. 
Maybe it's the distance on an angled assembly which makes the difference? I am speaking from experience with Gardiner's 90 degree versions- Imo there is no difference between the QL and the direct fit 90 degree fitments. However, once you angle it, not just the swivel action improves but the whole user experience. The pole and brush work so much more harmoniously with an angled head assembly.

Maybe it's the distance on an angled assembly which makes the difference? I am speaking from experience with Gardiner's 90 degree versions- Imo there is no difference between the QL and the direct fit 90 degree fitments. However, once you angle it, not just the swivel action improves but the whole user experience. The pole and brush work so much more harmoniously with an angled head assembly.

Yep, as have I. Both Gardiner versions, Wagtail DIY, Tecbuk Sidetrack, Reach-it S2S, and the Hermanator...the quik lok is my least favourite. However you’ve raised an interesting point. I’ll rip out the heat gun in the morning and angle the quik loc one to see if it makes it easier or harder to use. 

How far back do you go with swivels Eric, do you remember the MkI and MkII Gaz swivels,
emoji16.png

I’m a relative newbie. Started experimenting with a version of Wagga’s Wagtail mod on an old Reach-it Beta Brush back in early 2012. I’ve used pivots on brushes exclusively for the last 3 years. Find a fixed head really quite clunky, simply doesn’t feel right. I had heard about the ‘Gaz Swivels’. Early forums 2006...ish? But never could find photos. Man before his time eh? Jeff Brimble has used his interesting design for many years as well but information on how it works is pretty thin on the ground.

I’m a relative newbie. Started experimenting with a version of Wagga’s Wagtail mod on an old Reach-it Beta Brush back in early 2012. I’ve used pivots on brushes exclusively for the last 3 years. Find a fixed head really quite clunky, simply doesn’t feel right. I had heard about the ‘Gaz Swivels’. Early forums 2006...ish? But never could find photos. Man before his time eh? Jeff Brimble has used his interesting design for many years as well but information on how it works is pretty thin on the ground.
The original MkI Gaz swivel
I still have some MkII's in the van![emoji16]
7cfeb0507e5cb7c3ed3dc3c7b3bdab41.jpg

The original MkI Gaz swivel
I still have some MkII's in the van!
emoji16.png

Excellent. Man, that was no DIY was it? Genuine manufacture. Very doodle bug Mech in appearance. Correct me if I’m wrong but it appears like the up/down movement would cause potential issues with the brush flipping? Or did he have some sort of resistance tension in there?

Excellent. Man, that was no DIY was it? Genuine manufacture. Very doodle bug Mech in appearance. Correct me if I’m wrong but it appears like the up/down movement would cause potential issues with the brush flipping? Or did he have some sort of resistance tension in there?

The brush is a Salmon/Hill brush conversion. The swivel IS DIY, taken from another application which originally allowed dual axis movement. However, if you look very closely, the vertical axis has been fixed by Two tiny screws to hold it static at the correct angle. Then the fitment was adapted to fit a threaded pole end. Gaz never let on where these came from and hours of research by various people also proved fruitless! In the end, his supply ran out and he subsequently offered a different "ball joint"  type unit- these WERE freely available to buy though via a little "Googling" and so the Gaz swivel era was finished- The MKII ball joint type were very poor in comparison. We do owe a lot to it though!

The brush is a Salmon/Hill brush conversion. The swivel IS DIY, taken from another application which originally allowed dual axis movement. However, if you look very closely, the vertical axis has been fixed by Two tiny screws to hold it static at the correct angle. Then the fitment was adapted to fit a threaded pole end. Gaz never let on where these came from and hours of research by various people also proved fruitless! In the end, his supply ran out and he subsequently offered a different "ball joint"  type unit- these WERE freely available to buy though via a little "Googling" and so the Gaz swivel era was finished- The MKII ball joint type were very poor in comparison. We do owe a lot to it though!

Reading your post Winpro, I recon my first foray into the world of swivels must have been that MKII. I clearly remember the ball joint. It was lent to me by a freind to try and I hated it. The brush seemed to have a mind of it's own if memory serves. I went straight back to a fixed brush and didn't try a swivel again till I noticed the gardiner q-loq ones on their website a couple of years back and decided to give them another go. This time I fell in love with them right off the bat. The new angled one with the swivel action right behind the brush is even better.

Reading your post Winpro, I recon my first foray into the world of swivels must have been that MKII. I clearly remember the ball joint. It was lent to me by a freind to try and I hated it. The brush seemed to have a mind of it's own if memory serves. I went straight back to a fixed brush and didn't try a swivel again till I noticed the gardiner q-loq ones on their website a couple of years back and decided to give them another go. This time I fell in love with them right off the bat. The new angled one with the swivel action right behind the brush is even better.
I know I have at least One somewhere in the van, I will see if I can find it tomorrow and post a pic' just for nostalgia's sake!![emoji3] [emoji3] I used to drill a small hole right through the cup and ball and insert a pin/nail to prevent the two parts popping out from each other!![emoji1]

Here is a MKII swivel. It only pivots on one axis even though it looks otherwise.
[emoji1] [emoji1]
a46e4654c34349d01ca06dca8942d6c0.jpg
e30df0c1c58bd0a553bcdc93fe620948.jpg

I agree with you Eric

If Herman gets them into production i will be ordering a few

The prototype was perfect in use just not strong enough being 3d printed for the battering i give it with a 35cm brush on it

Not tried Gardiners new one but will do soon

You would love the new angled swivel connector.
emoji106.png
Deffo worth you trying it, they're only a fiver.

Ordered a few bits from gardiner this evening ordered one of these for my bungalow pole as I only use the medium soft brush on that pole so no need to change brushes, can’t wait to try. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back