Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting the hang of it (I think)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I.ve kinda lost faith in PW now. I much prefer clearing gutters than PW because it's easier and nowhere as dirty. All too their own but you don't loose much money with our gear because you can always sell it on. Reason I'm so busy with addons is because i spent my money on equipment and can do most of them now. You begin to find your feet and what's good wages and what's not.
Are doing the P/W just with turbo or you using a FSC?

Just the twin turbo or 5 point but I don't do much of it now. Busy with other things like roof spraying in the summer. My window cleaning is expanding near where I live due to local advertising.
You should give an FSC a go helps keep the dirt down, makes the job a lot faster as well. Just use the turbo to get rid of the stubborn bits at the end.

I.ve kinda lost faith in PW now. I much prefer clearing gutters than PW because it's easier and nowhere as dirty. All too their own but you don't loose much money with our gear because you can always sell it on. Reason I'm so busy with addons is because i spent my money on equipment and can do most of them now. You begin to find your feet and what's good wages and what's not.
I do the full range of exterior stuff and have all the necessary kit and there's money to be made in pressure washing, soft washing, roofs etc etc. I was using p/w as an example of something I'm willing to spend money on cos I know I'll soon make it back. But from my point of view £300 is not a typical value of gutter jobs and it would take me quite a while to cover an expense of £3000 doing gutters. And I can make that amount or more doing other jobs I prefer.
I know some people on here do very well out of gutter work but for most I think £3k outlay is unrealistic (for an add on) and the suggested Panther at under a grand is a more helpful recommendation

You should give an FSC a go helps keep the dirt down, makes the job a lot faster as well. Just use the turbo to get rid of the stubborn bits at the end.
I'm rapidly falling out of love with PW now. Much prefer to do full PVC cleans which includes clearing the gutters. All things Gutters seems to be expanding with all the rain up here.

I do the full range of exterior stuff and have all the necessary kit and there's money to be made in pressure washing, soft washing, roofs etc etc. I was using p/w as an example of something I'm willing to spend money on cos I know I'll soon make it back. But from my point of view £300 is not a typical value of gutter jobs and it would take me quite a while to cover an expense of £3000 doing gutters. And I can make that amount or more doing other jobs I prefer.
I know some people on here do very well out of gutter work but for most I think £3k outlay is unrealistic (for an add on) and the suggested Panther at under a grand is a more helpful recommendation
I started with a Maxblaster (£200) and a Spinaclean inlet (£70) and carbon poles (£400) and Socket, Cuff and Hose (£130). I still have bits of them down in my mum's hut. Well under a grand and did just as good as the one I have now. Me being a joiner means I can fix gutters pretty easily and take a look at the roof while I'm there. Sometimes I get another job out of it, like replacing a tile or two.

I'm rapidly falling out of love with PW now. Much prefer to do full PVC cleans which includes clearing the gutters. All things Gutters seems to be expanding with all the rain up here.
Gutters tend to be mainly seasonal just like p/w. When it's raining often and leaves are falling people start thinking about guttering and don't give it a second thought once winter is over - unless there's an obvious problem.
But most exterior cleaning services are seasonal to some extent and they can all potentially be money makers.
Some soft washing jobs can be amongst the most lucrative and relatively easy r.g render cleaning - £400-£500 a day is not unrealistic. They don't happen every week but they do happen and occasionally even more than that.
However, there's not enough of any single one type of job so I go where the work takes me. If I'm earning I'm happy with that, although spring/summer is near full time p/w and sealing.

Gutters tend to be mainly seasonal just like p/w. When it's raining often and leaves are falling people start thinking about guttering and don't give it a second thought once winter is over - unless there's an obvious problem.
But most exterior cleaning services are seasonal to some extent and they can all potentially be money makers.
Some soft washing jobs can be amongst the most lucrative and relatively easy r.g render cleaning - £400-£500 a day is not unrealistic. They don't happen every week but they do happen and occasionally even more than that.
However, there's not enough of any single one type of job so I go where the work takes me. If I'm earning I'm happy with that, although spring/summer is near full time p/w and sealing.
I believe its only a matter of time before Insurance Companies will be asking to see an invoice for gutter clearing before you can get building insurance. My commercial jobs were telling me this before I did their gutters. If this happens then the gutter clearing industry will take off.

I believe its only a matter of time before Insurance Companies will be asking to see an invoice for gutter clearing before you can get building insurance. My commercial jobs were telling me this before I did their gutters. If this happens then the gutter clearing industry will take off.
But I can't help but feel by next spring you'll be singing the praises of something else.....
and if it did take off everyone will try getting in on it and drive prices down ' BUDGET GUTTER CLEARANCE R US'

Before you get rid of it get a FSC even a second hand mosmatic or turbo devil and give it a go.... It will make jobs so much easier.
No way I'm getting rid of my PW and I have an 18" FSC. I put it in my mum's hut as I don't use it. The PW is handy if my good customers need anything done. I paid £2200 for it new and I think it's nearly £4k now. I knew everything had to go up in price due to all the furlough money. Became equipment rich and cash poor but money rolling in now.

Out canvassing for a few hours today……got crushed to start with no takers I was getting the dog with it….then 3 new customers almost one after the other, 2 booked in for this Friday and 1 for Monday. 2 at £25 a month and 1 on £20…. Plus extra for first cleans. Happy days
I got one today from my local booklet that I advertise in, only costs £60 a month. Think they have fell out with the guy who used to do them by the sound of it. Try and spend some money on advertising locally. ?

Wow! thats quite dear Scottish. Not sure I would be happy parting with £60 a month of my hard earned for that.
Better than £1500 a year I was paying with Checkatrade. I know that any new customers are local now and that's what I want. Out this morning but it was 8 miles there and 8 miles back again even though it's good work. I want local now and don't care if its a mid terrace and I have to carry backback round the backdoor. Once I'm there I can pick up more work when folk see me. Can you imagine a road with 100 homes and you get all the window cleaning jobs at a tenner a time, that's a grand. That's what I'm hoping for in the near future and I can cut down on the addons. Windows this morning, felting a big shed roof and cutting a tree down in the afternoon but I'm getting too old now. ?

Out canvassing for a few hours today……got crushed to start with no takers I was getting the dog with it….then 3 new customers almost one after the other, 2 booked in for this Friday and 1 for Monday. 2 at £25 a month and 1 on £20…. Plus extra for first cleans. Happy days
Good luck to you mate, fairplay......and think about a website. They come to you

I will look into using a web site. I did see last night you can build a free one on Google, trouble is I’m not particularly tec savvy so I might get someone else to sort this for me. I’m sure I could work out the free one though but I did see an advert on FB in one of the window cleaning groups saying they can build a website and take care of it for £25 a month.. I’ll have to chew this one over… at least with a free site I would have some kind of online presence even if it’s not as fancy looking to start with as having a pro build for me - I’ll see how this one pans out, but I’m more tempted by the free one though if I’m honest?????? I have a FB page I guess that’s a start…

Learning as I go……

I will look into using a web site. I did see last night you can build a free one on Google, trouble is I’m not particularly tec savvy so I might get someone else to sort this for me. I’m sure I could work out the free one though but I did see an advert on FB in one of the window cleaning groups saying they can build a website and take care of it for £25 a month.. I’ll have to chew this one over… at least with a free site I would have some kind of online presence even if it’s not as fancy looking to start with as having a pro build for me - I’ll see how this one pans out, but I’m more tempted by the free one though if I’m honest?????? I have a FB page I guess that’s a start…

Learning as I go……
What about Gavin who set up and runs this website. I`ve heard hes`s very good. He might be able to help you.

Learning as I go……
Be careful with websites as there are lots of people out there claiming all sorts about getting you to page 1 on google etc.... If you go for a site I would say take some time and learn how to do it your self - don't use the likes of Wix as they lock you into their own system.

One thing you really should do asap is sign up to Google My Business and link it to your facebook page.

Back