Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Getting the hang of it (I think)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

WombatPool

But I’m only 2 days in so don’t laugh too much!

Had my first facia clean today, along with a few rear windows at the back of the house and got the conservatory done too, plus cleaned over some gutters. Custy was over the moon with results - so was I! Took me just short of two hours, 20 mins of that chatting with customer over a cup of tea and kitkat..

590D9D06-E819-4AA9-8764-BA215922446A.jpeg
c7e35dc4-8ae6-4515-8e17-aa12be0f2bd9-jpeg.27574

FE6A88F4-1515-497B-A85B-6405C546EFAD.jpeg

5A0D4BD0-00B4-482D-92D6-FF21CA0F2BA4.png
CDB530B3-44C2-4B1E-8750-CDE708D2AB88.png

Cleaned the conservatory last.

E6D9730F-2004-4348-884C-850612086E95.jpeg

Learning experience and I had fun.

Finding this forum gave me the inspiration to start window cleaning ! Thanks all!

……..back to canvassing next week..

Last edited:
But I’m only 2 days in so don’t laugh too much!

Had my first facia clean today, along with a few rear windows at the back of the house and got the conservatory done too, plus cleaned over some gutters. Custy was over the moon with results - so was I! Took me just short of two hours, 20 mins of that chatting with customer over a cup of tea and kitkat..

View attachment 27581
c7e35dc4-8ae6-4515-8e17-aa12be0f2bd9-jpeg.27574

View attachment 27579

View attachment 27578
View attachment 27580

Cleaned the conservatory last.

View attachment 27577

Learning experience and I had fun.

Finding this forum gave me the inspiration to start window cleaning ! Thanks all!

……..back to canvassing next week..
Well done, this will build your confidence and put you in a good position for when you do the next one. The second job I ever did when I first started was a FSG and conservatory roof clean and it was a great learning experience. It helped massively by doing a lot of research and having the right equipment to do a decent job. Onto the next one!

Ladder limb is handy for holding a bucket with hot water and degreaser but if you used the wfp then even better.
Used WFP on this one. Apparently the customer already had a window cleaner who she said isn’t very reliable and hardly turns up she’s been asking him for ages to clean the facias but the he always makes excuses why he can’t do it?? Plus I managed to clean that window you can see above the conservatory which hasn’t been cleaned since she’s lived there. She was happy I came along and done all the bits she’s wanted doing for a long time. I’m not out to step on anyone’s toes but I guess if people want things doing, they want it doing one way or another..

Looks good well done every day is a school day ime sure you will enjoy doing this kind of work it dies give good job satisfaction seeing it cleaned as well as a nice little earner ?
Really enjoyed it. The first thing I cleaned on that job was the facia and seeing it come up looking like new I couldn’t quite believe it. Great satisfaction!!
It was nice to extend the pole as I was doing bungalows the day before so never had to reach far. All seemed to go ok ?? ??

Well done, this will build your confidence and put you in a good position for when you do the next one. The second job I ever did when I first started was a FSG and conservatory roof clean and it was a great learning experience. It helped massively by doing a lot of research and having the right equipment to do a decent job. Onto the next one!
Thanks mate. I did a fair bit of research digesting all the content on this forum and watching plenty of YouTube vids. It all helped massively.. Cant wait for next week it’s makes a change actually looking forward going to work. I have another first clean at a bungalow booked in for Monday morning and after that I will hit the pavement canvassing..

Thanks mate. I did a fair bit of research digesting all the content on this forum and watching plenty of YouTube vids. It all helped massively.. Cant wait for next week it’s makes a change actually looking forward going to work. I have another first clean at a bungalow booked in for Monday morning and after that I will hit the pavement canvassing..
If you can, do some canvassing over the weekend as more people will be around.

Nice job WombatPool - looks like a new house. How are you with canvassing?? I'm not great at knocking doors, and its bloody freezing atm but if you need more work, its got to be done.

If you can, do some canvassing over the weekend as more people will be around.
Wish I could mate but I have the kids to look after on weekends at the moment. But I’ll definitely have to sort out some weekend session one way or another soon. Like you say more people are likely to be in!

@jimbob1
Finding canvassing ok at the moment I quite like getting out there and hunting for the work. I’ve only just started doing it but the work is definitely coming in through speaking to people face to face.
A few years ago I used to call in and sell fish to pubs/restaurants/hotels - I’m basically using the same approach I used then and applying it window cleaning. Im sure one day I will no longer need to canvass as much, once I have built the round and hopefully a few referral jobs start coming my way. For the time being I’ll keep going, knocking doors and seeing where it takes me. I do love the idea that anyone and everyone is a potential customer.

@scottish cleaning service
I’m sure I’ll have to buy one of those gutter vacs soon
I have been considering a gutter vac quite a few times and as I don't use ladders (I'm not prepared to take the risk but each to their own) I think I would come across some blocked down pipes that probably wouldn't get cleared with a vac well not the smaller vacs anyway. Plus it's quite an outlay, even a single motor with ali poles is £700. So that's quite a few domestic gutters cleared to gain your money back before any profit plus it's quite seasonal.

I think concentrating on gaining window cleaning customers first as it's regular income is the best way for me.

I have been considering a gutter vac quite a few times and as I don't use ladders (I'm not prepared to take the risk but each to their own) I think I would come across some blocked down pipes that probably wouldn't get cleared with a vac well not the smaller vacs anyway. Plus it's quite an outlay, even a single motor with ali poles is £700. So that's quite a few domestic gutters cleared to gain your money back before any profit plus it's quite seasonal.

I think concentrating on gaining window cleaning customers first as it's regular income is the best way for me.
I bought mine from Spinaclean £2200 as they put one on Ebay every month, well used to. I still have my old maxblaster and old clip poles. Anyway, less than 2hrs this morning and I made a ton. He wanted 2 new gutter brackets but I just used longer screws to fix back onto the fascia. Guy was delighted because I would have charged for the parts if I used any. Gutter cleaning is rising because of Insurance Companies demanding it with commercial policy holders. As I have said many times in this game, you need to spend a few thousand and then the money rolls in. My gutter vac is a money magnet and have two commercials to do at 300 a pop. They need my invoice before they can renew their insurance. ?

@scottish cleaning service
I’m sure I’ll have to buy one of those gutter vacs soon
I’ve lost out on quite a few gutter cleaning jobs as they wanted gutters cleaned and cleared and I could only offer them the one cleaning service. You are looking at about £800+ for a decent 1700kw single motor vac but you’d soon make that back. I did a FSG clean last week and the guy had them cleaned out a couple of days before, he told me the guy did 5 on his street at £50 a pop and it only took him about half hour to do each one so there’s £250 right there in half days work. Originally I wasn’t interested in doing gutter clearing but it’s something I am now definitely looking into.

Back