Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Has anyone been back to the gym yet?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

This is my workout today.

See how much of this I can eat.

Family round for father in law's 80th.

20200801_123022.jpg

Which gym do you go to Daz I'm formely from Lower Broughton. Used to train years ago at Flex N Tone across the road from Salford City Shopping Centre. Probably the best gym ive ever trained at in the world and I been to a lot not just in UK.
i pay an annual membership of just over £300 and i can use 8 diifferent leisure centres all over salford.....my main one is in eccles....its fairly big with lots of free weights as well as machines/stationary bikes,etc.....although i do sometimes go to other ones on occasions....

you have to book online a week in advance now mate...you cant just turn up to a gym like you used to!
Fair enough mate. Are you sure that's the case with pure? Not heard anything about it, would've thought they would have said something. They have just said you can see how many people are in the gym before you go (which you could also do before).

Fair enough mate. Are you sure that's the case with pure? Not heard anything about it, would've thought they would have said something. They have just said you can see how many people are in the gym before you go (which you could also do before).
maybe but not at my gym....its online booking only....

I spoke to my mate that works in a gym about membership but it was £24.99 a month, tbf i weighed it up and worked it out and thats 2pints and a large kebab wrap on a Friday 2 weeks in a row, so decided i wont be going in first place let alone 'back' ???

How busy is PureGym at the minute, need to get back there but don't want to be queuing for ages
It has a capacity of 115 at the moment but the most I’ve seen in there when I check the app is 60something. I’ve never had to queue and I went in Wednesday night after work at about 17:00 when gyms are busiest and got in no problem.

I spoke to my mate that works in a gym about membership but it was £24.99 a month, tbf i weighed it up and worked it out and thats 2pints and a large kebab wrap on a Friday 2 weeks in a row, so decided i wont be going in first place let alone 'back' ???
I'm nearly 49 now.....gotta keep the muscle building going to stop the rot.....thankfully I enjoy it......i still can afford a kebab or 2 as well!??

Yes. I had four months off as I stopped going a couple of weeks before lockdown due to the increase in cases of Covid. 

I’d not been able to acquire any weights at all during the gym closures so I was going in cold. It’s just amazing how fast your body adapts to the decreased demands you’re putting on it. 

Hahaha It’s difficult to leave the ego. At one point in time a fair few years ago I used to lift heavy weights. I’m at a strongman gym as well so you’re training beside some real monsters. 
I've got no interest in how much weight I can lift.....seriously......all I'm interested in is the burn in the muscles,the pump and the endorphin release after a good workout....

Paradoxically I'm bigger than most guys in my gym but probably not half as strong as some of the smaller guys that lift heavier weights than me......

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got no interest in how much weight I can lift.....seriously......all I'm interested in is the burn in the muscles,the pump and the endorphin release after a good workout....

Paradoxically I'm bigger than most guys in my gym but probably not half as strong as some of the smaller guys that lift heavier weights than me......
We are all in it for different reasons. I find I get much more benefit from the gym if I have set targets. Otherwise I’m just going through the motions aimlessly with a lack of motivation.

Sight deviation but as someone who has zero muscles and is a couch potato: How is it best to build the muscles required for wfp? i.e. is it better to do more reps or higher weight?

My body shape isn't really good for joining a gym ? plus I am still shielding my partner as she has blood cancer. We do have a treadmill, pilates machine, rowing machine, exercise bike etc, normally used by my partner but I have started doing some exercise.

Any tips?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Sight deviation but as someone who has zero muscles and is a couch potato: How is it best to build the muscles required for fwp? i.e. is it better to do more reps or higher weight?

My body shape isn't really good for joining a gym ? plus I am still shielding my partner as she has blood cancer. We do have a treadmill, pilates machine, rowing machine, exercise bike etc, normally used by my partner but I have started doing some exercise.

Any tips?

Cheers
Using WFP. Your body will adapt to the demands you put on it as you go along as long as you give it enough fuel to recover.

I wouldn’t worry about eight lifting at all if you’ve not done it before. You’d only be putting extra demands on yourself whilst you’re still adapting to wfp. 

As @ksp said, you'll soon start to build muscle in the areas required. Personally if I were you I'd buy a slightly cheaper pole, a CLX, this will save you money, teach you how to clean windows with something that's harder to control and build muscle quicker then a SLX. The difference in weight between the 2 is only circa 100gms and this is only really a factor if you're doing 5 hours plus a day, every day. 

As @ksp said, you'll soon start to build muscle in the areas required. Personally if I were you I'd buy a slightly cheaper pole, a CLX, this will save you money, teach you how to clean windows with something that's harder to control and build muscle quicker then a SLX. The difference in weight between the 2 is only circa 100gms and this is only really a factor if you're doing 5 hours plus a day, every day. 
Cheers. Interesting idea of getting a CLX to build muscles and gain control. I was going for a SLX22 as I was thinking lighter would give my arms and shoulders a bit less of a workout ? I'm not young (51) so maybe lightest will be best on the old shoulders ?.

Cheers for the advice it's much appreciated. 

Cheers. Interesting idea of getting a CLX to build muscles and gain control. I was going for a SLX22 as I was thinking lighter would give my arms and shoulders a bit less of a workout ? I'm not young (51) so maybe lightest will be best on the old shoulders ?.

Cheers for the advice it's much appreciated. 
I'm nearly 57, a lot younger then @Den and @steve garwood and also have a lot more hair then the pair combined. I don't know your physical condition but initially you'll be doing more leg work then shoulder work.

Sight deviation but as someone who has zero muscles and is a couch potato: How is it best to build the muscles required for wfp? i.e. is it better to do more reps or higher weight?

Any tips?

Cheers
Just keep working using your WFP...your muscles will adapt after a while.....

Can I ask you about your diet?

I always make sure I'm eating around 150g-200g of protein a day and around 3000kcal a day.....sometimes more...

Just keep working using your WFP...your muscles will adapt after a while.....

Can I ask you about your diet?

I always make sure I'm eating around 150g-200g of protein a day and around 3000kcal a day.....sometimes more...
Cheers for the reply.  I haven't actually started yet due to Covid. I was intending to start earlier this year but lockdown put pay to that. I am still stuck indoors as shielding my partner who has a blood cancer so on chemo, so she is vulnerable. I am hoping to start in a couple of months. Not the best time to start but if I can make it work in winter I should be fine in summer ? 

Diet wise, mmmm well I am starting by cutting down on excess calories (less beer etc) to reduce the Covid belly first ? . My partner is quite into healthy diet and fitness so she will be helping me choose the right things ? 

So far I have been just trying to improve my basic fitness as I had quite a sedentary job previously. I have started some treadmill work and some pilates upper body work. My legs are OK just need to really work on upper body, core and back I think?

I am not contemplating 'body building' as such just trying to give my body a head start for when I do start wfp. The last thing I want to do is start canvassing/advertising doing first cleans then not being able to do anything for 2 days while my body recovers ? 

Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Latest Posts

Back