Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help on starting up

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Easy to clean windows ? Don’t think so , you need customers todo that, that also takes time and hard work to get the customers over the line 
Believe me it's not easy cleaning a window iv went trought half a dozen fellas lately trying to teach them some people think is a gift of a job far from it.

He'll be a millionaire next year ?
He who dares Rodders...

200.gif

So now i'm the bad guy for posting my factual experience and correct pricing info which is then slated by two people?

Wow.
I never said you were the bad guy just don't let things get to you all of us are wrong about something at some point, I interpreted your previous reply as if the op's replies were maybe ticking you off 

I   didn’t realise it could cost anything like that, and looking into it abit more it just seems like too much faff tbh 

cheers 
I dived in a bit, think I got the pole first, not sure. Then it was never ending, filtration/pumps/batteries etc. I did think at several points that I wished I'd never started, didnt really work out properly how much gear would actually be needed. But as I'd committed, it was too late to go back. This was good really, as I thought jeez, Ive spent out all this dosh, Im gonna damn well make sure it does work, and it is working. certainly not for the faint hearted though.

I   didn’t realise it could cost anything like that, and looking into it abit more it just seems like too much faff tbh 

cheers 
in reality you need to spend at least a few grand on a van,,tank,poles,pump,reel,hose,leaflets and other stationary and purification equipment and you need to be out canvassing and leafleting every day drumming up new work.....sign writing for your van and taking every job you can......

are you a strong willed self motivated person?

are you willing to work hard every day to build up a business for yourself?

are you the sort of person who doesnt mind working outside  in all weathers?

youll also need to keep records of all income and expenditure for the taxman and pay the relevant insurances,etc,round software these days makes this very easy to do....

the hardest part is building a good solid customer base that brings in a very good income all year round......this bit takes many years to build (if your doing it from scratch,)you need to build your reputation and you ll then pick up work from word of mouth and recommendation(the best work to pick up IMO)AND YOU WONT HAVE TO KEEP LOOKING FOR MORE WORK,ITLL COME TO YOU!.....this is a great place to be.....???

my start-up costs.

In a soft water area 

Gardiners backpack £120 

slx 30 £350

DI - 30 vessel

resin £65

tds meter £20

25 litre containers £30

univalve £35 

= Not cheap (working out of a car)

Since then i bought a van 

extra costs 

450 litre container - £100 second hand

hose reel and hose £140

leisure battery £98 (bought today)

pump and controller board £150

rachett straps £30

Still need to buy a cage for the tank. 

and a charger for the leisure battery.

And this is the cheap route lol 

you could just spend a few thousand on a ready made system.

Hi yeh can see there a cheaper route or an expensive route , my mum nagged me to ask on here as she said that her friend knows a window cleaner who does alright apparently but not that in Basingstoke 

cheers for some of the helpful comments I’m gonna look into it mor   but Part timer definitely don’t need life advice from a  part timer  window cleaner like you lol

@JJ1997 it’s good you’re considering window cleaning, it’s not easy, especially the first 12-18 months. Like most businesses a start up budget is key, if you have a car and have £300/£400, you can buy a pole, back pack, little fold up ladder, traditional gear for maybe some downstairs windows or any internal windows & 6 25L containers to store your water.

Then you’ll need to buy pure water from some where. There is Spotless water in Basingstoke I’m sure. Have a look. If not a little Ro & Di vessel (to make pure water) may cost you an extra £200 or so.

If you WANT to do this you can. Also @Part Timer is very helpful and friendly on here, and he wasn’t giving ‘life advice’ you just didn’t make it easy for yourself by your first couple of posts on here. 

But long term if you invest in a couple/few grand in the short/long term you can earn £30 per hour not working really hard.

Some earn a lot more apparently, especially in commercial properties or special add on services on domestic houses. 

Do you work already JJ? 

but Part timer definitely don’t need life advice from a  part timer  window cleaner like you lol
As I'm currently sitting in the Caribbean on a 2 week all inclusive holiday and when I get back home, where I work approx 25 hours a week and turn over £50k plus, taking my advice might actually do you a bit of good. 

If you'd actually looked at the title of the forum page you posted on you could've actually posted asking questions about WFP's not talking about someone cleaning windows with a brush on the end of a stick. You also appeared to be asking if it was easy money and the answer to that is no. 

Its not easy money but looks easy till one try's it. Yesterday I cleared gutters and cleaned SFG with my slx WFP then cleaned all the windows. It was a 4 bed end terrace so I had the gable as well, it took 4 to 5 hours and I got £200 for it. Folk will say, that's good dosh for moving a pole about but with my shoulders aching I am going to invest in an extreme pole fairly soon. Because this time of year is the busy season, one can charge a good price and usually get the job. 

Its not easy money but looks easy till one try's it. Yesterday I cleared gutters and cleaned SFG with my slx WFP then cleaned all the windows. It was a 4 bed end terrace so I had the gable as well, it took 4 to 5 hours and I got £200 for it. Folk will say, that's good dosh for moving a pole about but with my shoulders aching I am going to invest in an extreme pole fairly soon. Because this time of year is the busy season, one can charge a good price and usually get the job. 
That's how I do them too but have a power washer with extension that will reach most gutters just makes it easier and faster when finishing off with wfp.

Would this be ok  If I get a 2n hand backpack with it too? don’t wanna get an expensive one incase it all doesn’t work out 

View attachment 16636
Yeah that’ll do it for you champ!! Is that a Squeegee connection I see in the picture? Most houses are around 4m tall so get yourself a stepladder too and with a bit of luck you’ll fall off and knock some sense into yourself ???

Back