Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Horrible windows to clean...

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I don't think either of you two have read the fine details in my posts, or tried my method.

The starting on the sills is just a couple of quick swipes to let the water in to soften the dirt and has been blown out of proportion in your comments. I then wash the window, then finish off the sill. I absolutely work with gravity and I've never scratched a sill. Nor do I I ever waste time or water. I wouldn't be doing a window like that in 30 seconds max if I was wasting time.

My technique is shown on a one minute youtube clip : 100 degree fan jets in action. I was not on full form when it was recorded (I was  in the middle of chemo) so I was a bit flat footed and lethargic.

I have experimented with several different techniques and this is the one I settled on because it's the one that suits me best for speed, reliability, efficiency, water saving and resulting quality. 

I can't remember the last time I had a complaint. ?

I appreciate your advise! ?

I probably am worrying too much. ?

So if the rubber seal is cleaned and after the clean there’s still drips on the seal. When the drips fall down the glass will they not leave marks..? 

Yes I’ll let you know how I get on! Thanks. ?
Hi Davy G. 

I followed your advise with regards to the top rubber seal. I trialed it on a house with newish windows all with the rubber seals on. It was the 2nd clean. I gave the seal a good clean and rinse as well as the frames and windows. I left the drips in the rubber seal as like you and other people said, If the seal is clean the drips will be pure and won’t be a problem. 

I went back to the house a few hours later and there were quite a lot of streaks on the windows, which were definitely from the drips, from the seals.. So since then I have stuck to what I’m confident with (knocking the drips off). 

I wonder where I’m going wrong....? ?? 

You wouldn’t be able to do a video, using a house with thick rubber seals, to show me the technique you use would you? ?? 

Thanks, Luke. 

Hi Davy G. 

I followed your advise with regards to the top rubber seal. I trialed it on a house with newish windows all with the rubber seals on. It was the 2nd clean. I gave the seal a good clean and rinse as well as the frames and windows. I left the drips in the rubber seal as like you and other people said, If the seal is clean the drips will be pure and won’t be a problem. 

I went back to the house a few hours later and there were quite a lot of streaks on the windows, which were definitely from the drips, from the seals.. So since then I have stuck to what I’m confident with (knocking the drips off). 

I wonder where I’m going wrong....? ?? 

You wouldn’t be able to do a video, using a house with thick rubber seals, to show me the technique you use would you? ?? 

Thanks, Luke. 
Hi Luke, thanks for the update. All I can suggest is that you get right in there and give the seals a real good scrub and rinse. Who knows maybe someone has tackled them with soap or something previously. If so the pure water will be drawing it out for the first wash or two. 

I'd give the seals a real good scrub and rinse (think like a dental hygienist getting right in there). I'm surprised that you still get marks but from what you say it is contamination or dirt in the seals. Get aggressive with the seals for the first few times, It should cease to be an issue fairly rapidly. I use the same technique for all types of Windows, it's only the degree of thoroughness that differs. Very thorough for first wash or two, then once they are up together, I don't scrub with any pressure unless I see bird or spider muck etc. There is generally no need to scrub the ordinary dust that is on a window after six weeks. I let the bristles do their work and glide gently but quickly over the whole unit, with a good flow and the brush touching the the whole time, throughout both the agitation and the rinse stages. The streaks you are finding will be leaving a vertical trail from the problem spot. As I say, get in there and get it out. For now, swipe off the drops if you have to but you really shouldn't need to once you get right in there a few times, giving them a real thorough scrub and rinse.

It can be difficult to gain the confidence to really give them a good going over. Confidence will come with experience.

I only ever use the brush, no wiping with cloths, which would be double handling, takes more time and would mean hands getting wet with the possibility of getting arthritis.

Good luck and please keep us posted. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Luke, thanks for the update. All I can suggest is that you get right in there and give the seals a real good scrub and rinse. Who knows maybe someone has tackled them with soap or something previously. If so the pure water will be drawing it out for the first wash or two. 

I'd give the seals a real good scrub and rinse (think like a dental hygienist getting right in there). I'm surprised that you still get marks but from what you say it is contamination or dirt in the seals. Get aggressive with the seals for the first few times, It should cease to be an issue fairly rapidly. I use the same technique for all types of Windows, it's only the degree of thoroughness that differs. Very thorough for first wash or two, then once they are up together, I don't scrub with any pressure unless I see bird or spider muck etc. There is generally no need to scrub the ordinary dust that is on a window after six weeks. I let the bristles do their work and glide gently but quickly over the whole unit, with a good flow and the brush touching the the whole time, throughout both the agitation and the rinse stages. The streaks you are finding will be leaving a vertical trail from the problem spot. As I say, get in there and get it out. For now, swipe off the drops if you have to but you really shouldn't need to once you get right in there a few times, giving them a real thorough scrub and rinse.

It can be difficult to gain the confidence to really give them a good going over. Confidence will come with experience.

I only ever use the brush, no wiping with cloths, which would be double handling, takes more time and would mean hands getting wet with the possibility of getting arthritis.

Good luck and please keep us posted. ?

Thanks again mate for your advice! ?

What I’m going to do is trial it out more often and go back to check them, to reassure myself and gain more confidence. ?

I’ll let you know how I get on. ?

Many thanks, Luke.

Latest Posts

Back