Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Retail shops

WCF

Help Support WCF:

bella

I have decided to start a B2B window cleaning operation targeting retail shops in London. Last week, I tested my sales script on the first 8 shops on a high street. Amazing conversion rate. I was able to convince 6 of them to switch to my service! No undercutting as being confident of my superior offering I priced my service 20% above the current cleaner’s price after asking my pharmacist and hairdresser how much they were paying.

Yesterday, I used a reach and wash system for the first time and noticed spots left all over the glass. Unfortunately, I did not have traditional tools to sort it out. It was my first time using Reach and Wash, so I am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with retail shops. I am considering whether poor skills, soap residues, or hydrophobic glass could be the cause of the problem. I tend to think it might be poor skills since I tried to learn from YouTube videos. Perhaps I will have to do it the traditional way.

Could be anything from poor water quality or soap stuck in the frames..Check your tds first then as long as you rinse properly they shouldn’t spot.Personally I trad most shops But that’s down to locatio.

Good luck competing with the nationals.They killed retail window cleaning off years ago.

I have decided to start a B2B window cleaning operation targeting retail shops in London. Last week, I tested my sales script on the first 8 shops on a high street. Amazing conversion rate. I was able to convince 6 of them to switch to my service! No undercutting as being confident of my superior offering I priced my service 20% above the current cleaner’s price after asking my pharmacist and hairdresser how much they were paying.

Yesterday, I used a reach and wash system for the first time and noticed spots left all over the glass. Unfortunately, I did not have traditional tools to sort it out. It was my first time using Reach and Wash, so I am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with retail shops. I am considering whether poor skills, soap residues, or hydrophobic glass could be the cause of the problem. I tend to think it might be poor skills since I tried to learn from YouTube videos. Perhaps I will have to do it the traditional way.
I always trad shops. Saturated doorways can become a slip hazard. The hose along a busy street can also be dangerous. If you trip somebody it has potential to ruin your business, especially if you trip an old or vulnerable person.
Although I’ve never used wfp on a shop front I can’t see it being any quicker. Sometimes it’s just handier knocking them out with a mop and blade when most are at a level you can reach without poles or steps etc.
I have over 30 shops on my round that are done weekly and it takes me about 3 hours.
This includes getting paid and chatting with customers.

as for the spotting it could be just a case of soap residue that will take a while to clean out with further cleans.

I always trad shops. Saturated doorways can become a slip hazard. The hose along a busy street can also be dangerous. If you trip somebody it has potential to ruin your business, especially if you trip an old or vulnerable person.
Although I’ve never used wfp on a shop front I can’t see it being any quicker. Sometimes it’s just handier knocking them out with a mop and blade when most are at a level you can reach without poles or steps etc.
I have over 30 shops on my round that are done weekly and it takes me about 3 hours.
This includes getting paid and chatting with customers.

as for the spotting it could be just a case of soap residue that will take a while to clean out with further cleans.
Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. It was very helpful. I have decided to switch to trad

I think this post may be a joke or scam.They tried 8 shops got 6 at a 20% increase due to their superior offering ?‍♂️yet can’t get a standard shop to come up clean.
??? Not a joke. That was my very first customers. I stopped at 8 because I was overwhelmed by the response to my offering. I had never used the reach and wash system before. My sales skills were and are great but my product was poor. I discovered a pain point that led to that high conversion rate."

I think this post may be a joke or scam.They tried 8 shops got 6 at a 20% increase due to their superior offering ?‍♂️yet can’t get a standard shop to come up clean.
It all looks so easy on YouTube watching someone else, doesn't mean it is a wind up going off what has been written the member isn't English quite possibly in the U.S plenty use water straight out of the tap, mind you'd think some over here do as well the state of the windows.

It all looks so easy on YouTube watching someone else, doesn't mean it is a wind up going off what has been written the member isn't English quite possibly in the U.S plenty use water straight out of the tap, mind you'd think some over here do as well the state of the windows.
I was deeply embarrassed when I noticed all the smudges and marks on the glass. I'm a foreigner residing in London, and I recently purchased water from Spotless, so I'm confident the water quality was good. I understand that some might think the conversion rate is unusual, it is unusual but I stand out from the competition. I was looking for a USP while working on my sale script. I tested it and it worked. Right now, I'm not actively approaching shopkeepers to promote my offering because I've ordered a traditional kit from the Window Cleaning Warehouse. I hope to receive it before the weekend. I plan to train myself on my apartment building first and, once my product/service is ready for the market, I'll focus on acquiring new customers

Last edited:
I was deeply embarrassed when I noticed all the smudges and marks on the glass. I'm a foreigner residing in London, and I recently purchased water from Spotless, so I'm confident the water quality was good. I understand that some might think the conversion rate is unusual, it is unusual but I stand out from the competition. I was looking for a USP while working on my sale script. I tested it and it worked. Right now, I'm not actively approaching shopkeepers to promote my offering because I've ordered a traditional kit from the Window Cleaning Warehouse. I hope to receive it before the weekend. I plan to train myself on my apartment building first and, once my product/service is ready for the market, I'll focus on acquiring new customers
Thanks for clarifying, if you've spent £100's on getting set up with a backpack and a pole for example then 6 customers aren't going to recoup your costs your conversion rate is high based on approaching 8 shops but that as I'm sure you know isn't going to pay the bills,

You'd be far better off doing houses as shops can drop you in a heartbeat also you don't have to get out early or be dodging pedestrians, I dropped shops years ago because I couldn't be bothered with earlier starts and parking issues

Thanks for clarifying, if you've spent £100's on getting set up with a backpack and a pole for example then 6 customers aren't going to recoup your costs your conversion rate is high based on approaching 8 shops but that as I'm sure you know isn't going to pay the bills,

You'd be far better off doing houses as shops can drop you in a heartbeat also you don't have to get out early or be dodging pedestrians, I dropped shops years ago because I couldn't be bothered with earlier starts and parking issues
I incur a £600 loss with trolley from window cleaning warehouse.

Initially, my attempts to secure residential customers were unsuccessful. However, I pivoted to the commercial sector, leveraging a unique selling proposition that convinced clients to choose me despite a 20% higher price. This strategy proved successful, and I'm confident now that I can easily attract retail shops as clients. I tested it and it worked.

I just need to train myself, right?

Additionally, the parking issue is resolved by utilizing a tricycle cargo system.

This is the initial step toward securing larger contracts, including high-rise buildings, as part of my expansion plan. Thanks to a networking opportunity, I anticipate having access to the buyers within several major corporations.

because I couldn't be bothered with earlier starts and parking issues
Is it your implication that shops are reluctant to schedule window cleaning services during business hours? May you share your personal experience in this regard? Thanks ?

This is the initial step toward securing larger contracts, including high-rise buildings, as part of my expansion plan. Thanks to a networking opportunity, I anticipate having access to the buyers within several major corporations.
Good luck with the networking, in my experience there are no decision makers in the "breakfast club" etc meetings. I don't know if @Cghwindowcleaning has had more luck then me at these types of events

Is it your implication that shops are reluctant to schedule window cleaning services during business hours? May you share your personal experience in this regard? Thanks ?
I've no idea I just couldn't be bothered to be honest with chewing on with customers wanting to be in and out of the doors it happened once and swore never again, I live and work in a small town with mostly independent shops these are fine but they all want cheap prices I don't do cheap as I have no interest competing with monkeys charging peanuts and the national high street shops have their's contracted out to big companies who charge low prices and the retail head office typically these days wants to deal with one invoice from one company.
Initially, my attempts to secure residential customers were unsuccessful. However, I pivoted to the commercial sector, leveraging a unique selling proposition that convinced clients to choose me despite a 20% higher price. This strategy proved successful, and I'm confident now that I can easily attract retail shops as clients. I tested it and it worked.

Additionally, the parking issue is resolved by utilizing a tricycle cargo system.

You need to put in a lot of practice to be able to achieve the results you've promised your clients otherwise your sales pitch won't carry much weight and they'll go back to the cheaper option.

I also tried breakfast club networking it works for some and some I know have done very well from them but after two meetings they'll expect you to join and cough up the annual membership fee, from the people that were sat around the table at the one I attended quite a few years ago I couldn't see any value in the membership fee at all, they'll want you there for months no doubt every week without fail before they offer you anything.

Hopefully I'll be wrong and you'll be successful

For me personally my shop day is one of my best paying days. 95% of my shops are independent local businesses so I’ve never had a problem retaining business. I do agree that perhaps that it might be the case with bigger brands and chains that buisness is harder to keep.
I also agree that you should be trying to find residential work as trying to operate in commercial can be a lot more competitive and the work less regular.
Residential is what I do 4 days out of 5 and can pay very well as long as you quote well.
If you do a good job are friendly and be regular then word of mouth will increase your work and it will spread from there.

Been in this game almost 40 years and I’m more than intrigued as to what your ‘Unique selling proposition’ is.
Dirty window - clean window = price
Is it any more complicated than that?

Mind you if you’re charging 20% more yet doing a worse job then I suppose that is unique.
Seriously though good luck with everything. Can’t fault anyone who is getting out there and giving it a go no matter what it is.

I incur a £600 loss with trolley from window cleaning warehouse.

Well done for getting out there and having a go.
You haven't lost £600 on a trolley as either you will work out how to use it properly - lots of practice or you can sell it on ebay in the spring and recoup some of your expenditure.
Yes you need to 'train' yourself. Lots of practice as although it might look easy it's the subtleties in the technique that make a quality job - doesn't matter if wfp or trad they both require skill to do a good job. Watch lots and lots of youtube vids (some are always better than others) and gradually you will start to understand how to achieve good results - the you have to put in to practice what you have learned and practice, practice, practice, even if you can only practice on your windows at home (even just from the inside - trad) it will help massively.

One other thing, be careful on your sales pitch as you might find you are taking someone else's work and they might not be happy!

Securing high rises might be the easy bit, using a wfp on high rises is not easy and takes time to master, while you are learning wfp at hight make sure you have decent insurance as you could have a disaster. Plus I doubt if your going to be able to do high rises and major corporations from a trike. That said there was/is a scottish lady on here that used or uses a trike to do wfp - she even took her toddler in it, so it can be done. I'm guessing that part of your usp is the not using ice vehicles so kinder to the environment - that's fine if you can make a living but if you need to expand you might hit a brick wall.

Anyway good luck and let us know how you get on.

Don't overcomplicate window cleaning. There is skill involved in getting used to the equipment, whether traditional or Reach and Wash, but it is just cleaning at the end of the day. B2B, conversion rate, USP, networking- all sounds very professional but means nothing. That's the problem these days, people promising successful business ventures by throwing out lots of jargon words, but in reality it just requires simple graft.

I noticed that you mentioned one reason why you think the windows were spotting is soap suds. Did you mean soap that came out of the frames from the previous traditional clean, or did you add detergent to your water?

Don't overcomplicate window cleaning. There is skill involved in getting used to the equipment, whether traditional or Reach and Wash, but it is just cleaning at the end of the day. B2B, conversion rate, USP, networking- all sounds very professional but means nothing. That's the problem these days, people promising successful business ventures by throwing out lots of jargon words, but in reality it just requires simple graft.

I noticed that you mentioned one reason why you think the windows were spotting is soap suds. Did you mean soap that came out of the frames from the previous traditional clean, or did you add detergent to your water?
No but I've read that transitioning from traditional window cleaning to the reach and wash system might sometimes result in spotting issues due to leftover soap residue. I'm disappointed that I didn't succeed in my first cleaning attempts and feel like I let down my customers. In hindsight, I should have been more professional and trained myself instead of relying solely on YouTube videos.

Latest Posts

Back