Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How many litres per day is the standard?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

James102

I don't know what size tank to get what size would do me a decent day's work I can't have anything above 450 maybe at a push

It depends on lots. i.e some only work 4 hrs some work 8 hrs, some work very fast others at a slower pace. Also depends on if you will be staying close to home so can pop back and top up - unless you have van mount ro/di then not as quick to top up!

I would say get as big a tank as your van will safely take (allowing for extra weight - battery, hose reel, pump, chemicals, poles, steps/ladder, you, van fuel, spares, etc).

I don't know what size tank to get what size would do me a decent day's work I can't have anything above 450 maybe at a push
Depends how compact your work is. I use around 300 litres and that's usually for about 5 hours working but includes travelling, setting up between jobs, if I had it on continuous for 5 hours then it would be 500 litres.

Also depends on your flow, I have it on full flow all the time, although in my opinion that's the fastest way of working, if I reduce the flow I work slower.

It depends on lots. i.e some only work 4 hrs some work 8 hrs, some work very fast others at a slower pace. Also depends on if you will be staying close to home so can pop back and top up - unless you have van mount ro/di then not as quick to top up!

I would say get as big a tank as your van will safely take (allowing for extra weight - battery, hose reel, pump, chemicals, poles, steps/ladder, you, van fuel, spares, etc).
Ye want a 40p litre tank but the design is so different to the 350 or 500 so I dont know if it's viable to go 400 does the design matter?

Ye want a 40p litre tank but the design is so different to the 350 or 500 so I dont know if it's viable to go 400 does the design matter?
I have a 400lts upright tank, although I didn't specifically chose that - my system was in van when I bought it (Streamline system, van was same price as empty van). It suits me well as although it's tall, there is enough room on top for my poles and a step ladder. If you are using Spotless then filling up wouldn't be that easy as the tank lid is higher than the side opening door, so you would have to sort of thread the nozzle in to fill up - not a big deal.
Mine was fitted close to the bulkhead but with a gap at the bottom as bulkhead leans in at top, and the space at the bottom is perfect for my gutter poles. The other good thing about the 400 is it's narrow so takes up very small foot print, although that can mean more sloshing about. I thought I would have plenty of space in the van but I end up carrying quite a bit of kit, i.e. 2 backpacks (1 chemical, 1 pure), Panther gutter vac, Pure Freedom elec reel, racking, cones and just have space for geny and fuel can, but it's a bit of a jigsaw and every thing has it correct space.

Surely you would take the tank specs and 'draw' out the tank's footprint on your van's floor to see how it will fit @James102

My first thought is that your van's payload won't support a 500 litre tank. If you fit one, then you can't fill it to the top. That's a waste of space that could be used for something else.

A 400 litre tank would be what I would consider. But, how easy is access to the top to fill the tank when considering your van's internal roof height. The tank has the extra height, but it does have a smaller footprint.

A 350 litre tank has the advantage of a shorter height but has reduced capacity and a bigger footprint. If you had a 350 litre tank in your van, could you carry an additional 2 x 20l plastic containers to top up on those odd days you need more water. Is there enough space between the top of the tank and the roof for you to pour a 20 litre plastic container full of water? Or could you buy one of those 12v submersible transfer pumps to top the tank up from your plastic containers?

My son has a 500 litre tank in his Berlingo. There isn't enough space to top up his tank with a 20 litre plastic drum.

Here is my initial experience when we started wfp 18 years ago. I had a trailer with 3 X 150 litre tanks linked together. I also carried 80 litres of water in my Suzuki van.
We didn't have controllers and used 1/2" garden hose. We had 3mm jets in our brushes. Work day started at 9.00am. I found that I could get through 16 dormers a day using all the water in the trailer and the additional 80 litres in the van. But my day finished at around 2.30pm, because all my water was finished. I found that having a very high water flow was good for rinsing, but I wasted water in the scrubbing phase of the clean.

Later, using the same trailer, I added minibore hose and a Varistream controller. I reduced jet size to 2mm. At a reduced flow, I could do 20 houses using just the water in the trailer excluding the extra water in the van, but I did extend my working day to 5pm. This is an extreme comparison. Was it worth working an extra 2 and a 1/2 hours to do 4 more houses? In those days I processed water directly into my van tanks, so filling the 4 x 20 litre plastic containers was a pain. For me, it was back then. Today, no.

Depends on how much work you do per day , hours worked ,flow rate , speed of cleaning etc I personally feel to do a days compact work I couldn’t get away with less than 500-650 but know some won’t agree and will say much less

Another factor would be the types of clean you're doing. I find first time cleans especially on larger houses uses huge amounts of water. The next time round though, I'd guess I'm using half or even less the amount of water.

I have a 350ltr upright tank in a Vauxhall Combo 1.3, and that does me pretty well for a 6 to 7hr day. Switching from having a tap valve under the brush to having a univalve has saved me a lot of water too.

If I'm further from home, I'll usually bring a couple of barrels extra - so 50ltr.

A 350 litre tank has the advantage of a shorter height but has reduced capacity and a bigger footprint. If you had a 350 litre tank in your van, could you carry an additional 2 x 20l plastic containers to top up on those odd days you need more water. Is there enough space between the top of the tank and the roof for you to pour a 20 litre plastic container full of water?
This is what I used to do with my 64-plate combo it would definitely be possible with the new shape combo as well as I have a berlingo which is the same van,

I managed just fine for over 6 years but opted for a bigger tank this time as I'm not getting any younger and its no good the old me lugging containers about.

Another factor would be the types of clean you're doing. I find first time cleans especially on larger houses uses huge amounts of water. The next time round though, I'd guess I'm using half or even less the amount of water.

I have a 350ltr upright tank in a Vauxhall Combo 1.3, and that does me pretty well for a 6 to 7hr day. Switching from having a tap valve under the brush to having a univalve has saved me a lot of water too.

If I'm further from home, I'll usually bring a couple of barrels extra - so 50ltr.
Oh brill I have a vauxhall combo 1.3 I've had to order a 350 litre tank I wanted 400 but the tank is different design so I don't think it would of fit and I thought about a 500 tank but I think it be too big does 350 litres does you well for a full day? And what flow you using

Dispatch 500ltr enough room to get hose in & out only because i have a side door on drivers side. only entry from the way it parks in the driveway

So many factors involved every one is different on what speed we work I would be surprised if you used more then 600 litres in 8 hours

So many factors involved every one is different on what speed we work I would be surprised if you used more then 600 litres in 8 hours
I've always been bewildered how anyone doing 6-7 hour days uses 500ltrs plus I can do full days with 400ltrs the only day my 425ltr tank runs dry is on a day I do 4-bed detached houses all day as most have extensions or conservatories

I've always been bewildered how anyone doing 6-7 hour days uses 500ltrs plus I can do full days with 400ltrs the only day my 425ltr tank runs dry is on a day I do 4-bed detached houses all day as most have extensions or conservatories
I think the most water I have ever used in a day was about 350 litres but I have my flow rate on 35 coming out of two 1.4 pencil jets. I could work a little faster with my flow rate higher but that would mean an extra hour an hour out of my day driving to spotless and refilling and driving back so it seems counter productive and more expensive.

sorry I meant an extra half an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the most water I have ever used in a day was about 350 litres but I have my flow rate on 35 coming out of two 1.4 pencil jets. I could work a little faster with my flow rate higher but that would mean an extra hour an hour out of my day driving to spotless and refilling and driving back so it seems counter productive and more expensive.

sorry I meant an extra half an hour.
I could just about get by with 350ltrs some days but prefer having more, I have 100-degree fan jets and work with a flow of 60 as I do like to work at speed or rather can't help but go like the clappers with dance music playing in my ear all-day, I'd also sooner have extra water available to squeeze in some extra jobs if I can on some days

I could just about get by with 350ltrs some days but prefer having more, I have 100-degree fan jets and work with a flow of 60 as I do like to work at speed or rather can't help but go like the clappers with dance music playing in my ear all-day, I'd also sooner have extra water available to squeeze in some extra jobs if I can on some days
Ha Ha I know what you mean. Dance music does tend to have that effect. Especially mid 90`s trance music.

Ha Ha I know what you mean. Dance music does tend to have that effect. Especially mid 90`s trance music.
I can see you now
giphy.gif

Back