Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How windy is too windy to work?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Typical had the day off today thinking it was going to be horrendous. And until 10am it was... Then it cleared up and has been fine all day just windy. 

Going back to work tomorrow whatever its like I can't be doing with sitting around doing nowt 
Depends where you are. At lunch time rain and hail in Sandal. This afternoon been ok. I too am like you wishing I’d gone to work

Had gusts up to 60mph today and rain.

Still worked all day.

Any dodgy areas I tradded bottoms so they are dry before any dust can stick and cracked on.

I guarantee I will get no complaints like usual whatever the weather.

People need to stop assuming customers will complain etc and scare themselves out of working for the day.

I will work in any weather unless it's rain heavy enough that I see the rats canoeing past me.

Had gusts up to 60mph today and rain.

Still worked all day.

Any dodgy areas I tradded bottoms so they are dry before any dust can stick and cracked on.

I guarantee I will get no complaints like usual whatever the weather.

People need to stop assuming customers will complain etc and scare themselves out of working for the day.

I will work in any weather unless it's rain heavy enough that I see the rats canoeing past me.

Good for you mate if that's what works for you. I just don't want any complaints or cancellations and now I know for a fact at what state those high winds leave the windows in I will not be continuing to work in them. Whats the point in being a window 'cleaner' and leaving the windows in a worse state they were before I cleaned them. FAR worse. Which is exactly what happened today. Today was a massive wake up call for me in regards to high winds. I like to sleep at easy at night knowing I've done a good job and not made my customers literally waste their money.

We have had an enforced day off today it was that windy the hail was horizontal and you had a job to stand up where we should have been working ???
I've got 2 days gutter cleaning down Cambridge and Royston, leaving 6.30 tomorrow. 50mph winds forecast all the way down and stopping around 3pm. Will get the lowest work done first tomorrow. Forecast to be blowing a hooley Wednesday morning as well ?

Customers don't want you out in this weather and sometimes blame themselves for us coming out. I heard this over the weekend. A relatively new windy was telling his customer, "I see you have got the back room all done up with different wallpaper" The customer was quite alarmed that he was observing all their rooms and quickly cancelled him on the next visit, that's why I like the wfp. ?
Privacy & respect is key to develop business rapport!.

I've got 2 days gutter cleaning down Cambridge and Royston, leaving 6.30 tomorrow. 50mph winds forecast all the way down and stopping around 3pm. Will get the lowest work done first tomorrow. Forecast to be blowing a hooley Wednesday morning as well ?

We have a hotel complex  due this week that’s 100 meters from the sea the windows are opaque with salt the wind there today was in the region of 70 mph the guests had to use the back door as they couldn’t open the front and side doors , not sure when or if we will be able to do it or not ???

The forecast from Friday onwards is even stronger winds and heavier rain ??.

On the plus side, I’m off to Tenerife on Thursday where it’s currently 27 degrees, but I’ll definitely be thinking of you lot ??

I'm only 20 mins from royston.. up the a1m for a junction to baldock then a straight run from there at 70.

Pity I have plans with familiy .

You go to royston much?

I met posh at royston mcdonalds once as it's halfway between cambridge and me.

Very easy drive.

I do occasionally get asked to quotes up there but I don't quite go that far.. Baldock is my limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only 20 mins from royston.. up the a1m for a junction to baldock then a straight run from there at 70.

Pity I have plans with familiy .

You go to royston much?

I met posh at royston mcdonalds once as it's halfway between cambridge and me.

Very easy drive.

I do occasionally get asked to quotes up there but I don't quite go that far.. Baldock is my limit.
I've got 2 annual gutter jobs and 1 biannual job, 1 of them I'm doing Wednesday, is opposite Morrisons. The other is beside the train station.

I gave Posh a little commercial window cleaning job in Great Shelford.

Was asked to quote to clean the windows at the the converted mental hospital at Fairfield. Bit big for me at the time.

I've got 2 annual gutter jobs and 1 biannual job, 1 of them I'm doing Wednesday, is opposite Morrisons. The other is beside the train station.

I gave Posh a little commercial window cleaning job in Great Shelford.

Was asked to quote to clean the windows at the the converted mental hospital at Fairfield. Bit big for me at the time.
Those old houses by the old nuthouse have the longest gardens I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
MASSIVE LESSON LEARNT TODAY - Been out working today in 40+ mph winds (WFP) it was windy and gusty but I didn't actually think it was that bad. Finished about 2pm, 3pm I got a text off my mate who was one of the first customers I done this morning saying his windows were a mess ? Told him I'd be straight there so went up and indeed they were, covered in dust from the wind. My heart sank as I've done 27 houses today in his estate. So I've just had to re-do his whole street (fronts only his back was fine cos it was sheltered). Then went around checking my work and re-done the ones that were bad. Some were OK it was mainly the exposed ones.

That's it for me I'll now only be working in winds upto about 25mph from here on out I'll not be taking the risk. Every days a school day.
That is the thing when working in adverse weather...you cannot be sure you have done a good job straight away if using WFP....and may end day thinking your a hero battling the poor weather conditions and still earned your money, only to find later some customers are displeased with the results. And I always say...and believe we are only one bad clean, or misplaced comment away from losing the customer.

Good luck with the conditions..........at least you have achieved your parents ambitions of having you go to Cambridge!!!

Depends where you are. At lunch time rain and hail in Sandal. This afternoon been ok. I too am like you wishing I’d gone to work
Opposite for me, may of got some done AM but flipping well snowed in afternoon and heavily too.

I just think working in heavy rain & strong winds together looks desperate & unprofessional. 
I agree......I work in most bad weather but sometimes you gotta sack the day off....its windy here with the odd wintry shower but its forecast to be mainly dry for most of the day so I'll be heading out shortly 

Yes and then your full of cold  with getting soaked. 

When the weathers good your off Poorly. I know a few windies who work in terrible weather, crazy. ?
Getting wet doesn't give u a cold...your more chance of getting a cold indoors warm and dry!?

If you clean windows in relatively calm conditions and its really windy overnight then they will get dirty again.. so what are we supposed to do?have a week or two off til these storms die down?

No......just go out and clean the windows.if they are dirty again after a day it's not our fault.....we cant control the weather....

These storms are becoming more and more frequent during the whole year,not just in winter.......

If you clean windows in relatively calm conditions and its really windy overnight then they will get dirty again.. so what are we supposed to do?have a week or two off til these storms die down?

No......just go out and clean the windows.if they are dirty again after a day it's not our fault.....we cant control the weather....

These storms are becoming more and more frequent during the whole year,not just in winter.......
But if they get dirty an hour after cleaning?

Back