Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

intro & advise

WCF

Help Support WCF:

big al

Hi everyone

Been on here a while but never posted.

Done 10 years on trad and now 12 months wfp.

Today a guy came off his brand new carbon fibre road bike when riding over my hose accross the road!

Anyone had issues like this and what is the best hose management when you have to cross a road?

Fortunately the guy was not badly hurt but he was not happy.

Hi @big al welcome to the forum! Sounds like you may have had a lucky escape if he isn't looking to claim or anything! Out of interest (excuse my lack of trade knowledge) why would a hose ever be across the road? Purely wondering as a non-windie /emoticons/smile.png

many houses in same street with water fed pole. vehicle on one side and some customers over the road

had cones out and guy said he saw the hose but his bike wheel slipped on it instead of running over it!

How big is your hose? Can't see a bit of rubber making you come off a bike? Is he genuine?

It's very tempting to run a wfp hose across a road but still is classed as a trip/slip hazard for road users too.

I'm also wondering if that guy wanted to make a claim against you or something worse happened would you be covered on your insurance.

It was not so long a go someone on here had his wfp hose & then his wfp pole dragged down the road by a car.

Thing is surely he wouldn't have a case if you had cones out? If they have 'trip hazard' written on them, is that enough to win a case like this?

Surly they can sue you if you didn't have signs up?

If he says he saw the hose and thought he'd be ok and then came off his fault i reckon..

It's a carbon road bike..not a motorbike

legally u are meant to have a plastic raamp over the hose whne crossing pavements and roads

u know the type the big plastic mates doe use

Hi:)

Cyclists are quite annoying anyway, get stuck behind them in their tight pants and carbon fibre bikes often, cyclists spend a fortune on push bikes, as they are lighter and can get up hills easier, well I guess not, as they dont even get over an 8mm hose, im sure you will be changing your work practice after this and put a road sign out,

anti carbon fibre bikes wfp hose hazard, or beware of the mountain hose, or tight pants not allowed:oops:.

Hope he was alright though.

After being a driver round london i wish we could put more hoses across roads..preferably at cyclists neck height

Pain in the arris they are

Ohhhhhhh.....yeah I really really don't know anything about bikes. Finally clicked that it was a road bike and not a motorbike.......still Frank riding it though /emoticons/smile.png

Few years ago we had 70mm Fire hose run from a hydrant a couple of streets away to an industrial unit well alight. Think the incident started about 3 in the morning but it dragged on for ages. No one considered the hose until the first commuter hit it on his bike about 6ish. He was not a happy man, bloody swollen nose and the classic twisted handlebars. I straightened his bars and pointed him in the direction of the incident command unit. It made a change to witness senior officer on the receiving end of a bollicking.

After being a driver round london i wish we could put more hoses across roads..preferably at cyclists neck heightPain in the arris they are
It's a big issue in Brighton too mate. Roles have changed where now a lot van drivers don't want to get on the wrong side of cyclists. And if you so much as touch the red cycle lane with your foot while walking along the seafront you will be bombarded with all sorts of pleasantries.....regardless of whether you kids are with you or not /emoticons/sad.png

It's a big issue in Brighton too mate. Roles have changed where now a lot van drivers don't want to get on the wrong side of cyclists. And if you so much as touch the red cycle lane with your foot while walking along the seafront you will be bombarded with all sorts of pleasantries.....regardless of whether you kids are with you or not /emoticons/sad.png
There are some great clips on youtube of cyclists vs drivers. Right bunch of self rightious *****. Not too bad around here, but I think in The big cities the rivalrys are a lot worse.

They wear those stupid go pros on their helmets and drop us in it for anything..moaning and arguing

Yet they all ride where they want and cut is up but never show that footage

Back