Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Is di vessel best way to start out?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

MJackson

Hello all I'm looking to do window cleaning and I bought a DI vessel that you connect a hose pipe through. Can you use a tank on board to feed it? Right pressure? so your not using the customers water. Is this the best way to start wfp cleaning?

Hello all I'm looking to do window cleaning and I bought a DI vessel that you connect a hose pipe through. Can you use a tank on board to feed it? Right pressure? so your not using the customers water. Is this the best way to start wfp cleaning?
You can use the search function as many people (myself included!) have asked about starting out in wfp and every question you have will be answered somewhere as well as lots of golden nuggets. 

The simple answer is it depends on the water in your area. If you are in an area where your TDS is reading 100+ you will want an RO/DI system as this will be most effective. Below that, a DI vessel which you have will be fine. Or of course you can buy pure water from a station such as spotless water and not bother with filtration. 

We don't really (generally speaking) connect to a customers tap on jobs here in the UK, with the exception of some larger jobs where you don't necessarily require pure water like a gutter clean. We like to be self sufficient and turn up with water already purified. 

For this, you'll need a tank (you'll need to secure this in your vehicle) or smaller 25L containers, you'll also need a pump to pump the water from said tank/containers through your pole, brush and onto the windows. Lots of topics on various makes etc on the forum, have a search! 

Best of luck!

Reading the forum is a cheaper way to start out 

Keep your eyes peeled for 2nd hand equipment. 
 Many have started up window cleaning, many have failed too. 
 Don’t spend any money until you are up to speed, and know exactly what your getting into. 
Might be a tough year to get started too. 

Yes (for me anyway) and I've been purifying my water this way for 12 years now...my tap tds is 020 so a 25l bag of resin lasts me around 6 months....

As long as your TDS is low enough then yes. And the best way to do it would be by filling a tank in your van and purifying it as you use it - the resin will last longer then as a shurflo type pump will draw water through the resin nice and slow. I’ve used double DI on a solar job in the past (Tap TDS of around 300ppm) as I couldn’t get my van anywhere near and at the time I didn’t have a large enough tank to do a full days work in one location. I generally got around 2500-3000 litres from an 11litre vessel. If you can plug in to the customers tap you can always wash the windows with tap water first, and then use purified water on the final rinse. As you speed up and earn more money you can invest in equipment and rely solely on your van system for water.  

Back