Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

is it worth a try?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It makes the pole much stiffer which is useful when digging around in a gutter 30 feet in the air and if you lift the turfs out with it less chance of breaking a section of the pole , we lifted out a turf on one job nearly 5 feet long  weighed a ton ?
Ok thanks. So 27ft Pole in one hand, gutter vac in the other hand 30ish feet up. Will be amusing to watch. 

If some kids were to run up behind me and pull my trousers down in a horrible prank I’m stuffed!! 

Ok thanks. So 27ft Pole in one hand, gutter vac in the other hand 30ish feet up. Will be amusing to watch. 

If some kids were to run up behind me and pull my trousers down in a horrible prank I’m stuffed!! 

We have one guy on the vac and one on the pole with the spike , if working on your own give it a go with the vac first if it’s not moving then give it a good dig with the spike to either break it into chunks and lift it out or pick up the sections with the vac , when working with two people and both know what they are doing it is suprising how quickly you can clear a badly overgrown gutter 

thanks for all the advice on this job. Completed this morning. Charged £180 which she was happy with, took me three hours to do which was great. Used a spike attachment and it cleared fairly easily. Has given me the confidence in future t o charge some as my dad used to call it "proper money" for jobs. Cheers 

thanks for all the advice on this job. Completed this morning. Charged £180 which she was happy with, took me three hours to do which was great. Used a spike attachment and it cleared fairly easily. Has given me the confidence in future t o charge some as my dad used to call it "proper money" for jobs. Cheers 

There you go , it’s all experience and will give you confidence when quoting in the future , well done 

I really don’t understand all this talk of ladder safety. Maybe I’m just from a different generation. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for working safer especially now there’s more and more tools out there to make it so. That job looks straight forward to me with no awkward climbs etc. 2 man job, one footing and one clearing up the ladder. With the amount of rootage grown in there most of that will come out in long strips so no need for gutter tools and a lot quicker than a vac. By the time you’ve softened and broke it all up ready for the vac you could be back in the van with your bacon sarny.(other sandwich’s available). At this time of year you could have that done before the first bus arrives, an hour an half tops for the back and front. Too many people making a meal of very straight forward jobs these days although depending on who your doing the job for they might have their own rules and regs on what you can and cannot do. 

I really don’t understand all this talk of ladder safety. Maybe I’m just from a different generation. Don’t get me wrong I’m all for working safer especially now there’s more and more tools out there to make it so. That job looks straight forward to me with no awkward climbs etc. 2 man job, one footing and one clearing up the ladder. With the amount of rootage grown in there most of that will come out in long strips so no need for gutter tools and a lot quicker than a vac. By the time you’ve softened and broke it all up ready for the vac you could be back in the van with your bacon sarny.(other sandwich’s available). At this time of year you could have that done before the first bus arrives, an hour an half tops for the back and front. Too many people making a meal of very straight forward jobs these days although depending on who your doing the job for they might have their own rules and regs on what you can and cannot do. 

Maybe you have never used a Vac. I was using a ladder for years until I bought the Vac and Carbon poles and cant go back to the ladder. Looks far more professional and the public often stop to see what you are doing. One has to Eliminate Risk before you even start the job. I always tell the customer that my setup costs over 3 grand and that's why I'm a bit more expensive and they appreciate that honesty.

Maybe you have never used a Vac. I was using a ladder for years until I bought the Vac and Carbon poles and cant go back to the ladder. Looks far more professional and the public often stop to see what you are doing. One has to Eliminate Risk before you even start the job. I always tell the customer that my setup costs over 3 grand and that's why I'm a bit more expensive and they appreciate that honesty.
I’m not knocking vacs, I think they are amazing. I used one on a regular basis around 15 years ago. Sometimes you’ve got to use different methods for different jobs to get the best results.

It was to high for my triple extension ladder. 
What size is your triple? I reckon I’d smash that with my 3.5 double. 

I’m not knocking vacs, I think they are amazing. I used one on a regular basis around 15 years ago. Sometimes you’ve got to use different methods for different jobs to get the best results.

What size is your triple? I reckon I’d smash that with my 3.5 double. 

Looking at the picture that has to be around 20-25 feet high ??? You are not going to do that off a ladder unless you have a very deep stand off bracket look at the depth of the soffit boards . You should not put a ladder on the guttering it’s liable to slip , the safest way is to scaffold it or scaffold tower if you want to get up close and personal, , or use a vac and hook from the ground ,  if you did that off a ladder and had an accident you would find yourself in court with a very large fine , the council where I live actively watching people doing work on shops and are enforcing safe working practice , using a ladder to do that job would be classed as an unsafe practice endangering oneself and the public , Ime not saying that job couldn’t be done using a ladder but it cannot be done safely in the eyes of the law these days just a fact of the times we live in , a friend of mine works for sky the muinit they use a ladder evan if they are 12 inches off the ground they have to put on a full harness and drill an eye bolt into the wall , to work off it , if they get caught not doing this it’s a sackable offence, totally ott but that's how things are these days Ime afrade 

Looking at the picture that has to be around 20-25 feet high ??? You are not going to do that off a ladder unless you have a very deep stand off bracket look at the depth of the soffit boards . You should not put a ladder on the guttering it’s liable to slip , the safest way is to scaffold it or scaffold tower if you want to get up close and personal, , or use a vac and hook from the ground ,  if you did that off a ladder and had an accident you would find yourself in court with a very large fine , the council where I live actively watching people doing work on shops and are enforcing safe working practice , using a ladder to do that job would be classed as an unsafe practice endangering oneself and the public , Ime not saying that job couldn’t be done using a ladder but it cannot be done safely in the eyes of the law these days just a fact of the times we live in , a friend of mine works for sky the muinit they use a ladder evan if they are 12 inches off the ground they have to put on a full harness and drill an eye bolt into the wall , to work off it , if they get caught not doing this it’s a sackable offence, totally ott but that's how things are these days Ime afrade 
Good job I don’t work for sky then hey?

Dont get me wrong I’m all for working safely but some things are just getting a little out of hand. Big company’s like sky are just covering their backs these days. They are more bothered about a big claim going in rather than the safety of their workers if you ask me. It’s all about using your head and common sense.

Latest Posts

Back