Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It all turned to **** overnight!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

100 years ago there was no such thing as mental health, the older generation just cracked on

Now a lot of people use “mental health” as an excuse , people love a bit of sympathy these days

100 years ago there was no such thing as mental health, the older generation just cracked on

Now a lot of people use “mental health” as an excuse , people love a bit of sympathy these days
Have you never heard of shell shock??? The 'older generation' didn't have language to describe it, they used to bottle it all up, as that was the done thing!

Don't think mental health issues are a modern thing it's just it's more socially acceptable to talk about it.

I do agree that there are people out there who use things as excuses for not doing things but don't assume there are not issues out there! The world we live in has changed massively over the last 30 years or so and humans haven't had time to evolve. So there are very different pressures on people saying noting about the environment issues and social media pushing people to expect to be this or that and thinking everyone can achieve things.... 

Covid is also making more mental health issues, be that being scared to go out leading to agoraphobia, excessive alcohol consumption, over eating, less exercise, so many changes in such a short time isn't helping peoples mental health. Just because you can't see brain issues don't assume they don't exist. 

Have you never heard of shell shock??? The 'older generation' didn't have language to describe it, they used to bottle it all up, as that was the done thing!

Don't think mental health issues are a modern thing it's just it's more socially acceptable to talk about it.

I do agree that there are people out there who use things as excuses for not doing things but don't assume there are not issues out there! The world we live in has changed massively over the last 30 years or so and humans haven't had time to evolve. So there are very different pressures on people saying noting about the environment issues and social media pushing people to expect to be this or that and thinking everyone can achieve things.... 

Covid is also making more mental health issues, be that being scared to go out leading to agoraphobia, excessive alcohol consumption, over eating, less exercise, so many changes in such a short time isn't helping peoples mental health. Just because you can't see brain issues don't assume they don't exist. 
Is there such a thing as excessive alcohol ?

Some might use it as an excuse but if you had a family member dealing with this on a daily basis and attempting suicide on many occasions you might think differently      

Some might use it as an excuse but if you had a family member dealing with this on a daily basis and attempting suicide on many occasions you might think differently      
Unless someone suffers with it they will never understand. 

Wife has anxiety in a bad way.

Son is aspergers so has his own issues.

I suffer with depression and ptsd so have my own issues also.

No one saying just exercise and eat well understands the things we deal with daily.

Best not to have an opinion if you don't understand it.

I do understand i know a lot of people who suffer but all im saying is 100 yrs ago it wasnt a case 

i suffer from anxiety myself 

I do understand i know a lot of people who suffer but all im saying is 100 yrs ago it wasnt a case 

i suffer from anxiety myself 
It wasn’t so common back then but was about but ones didn’t realise what it was , latest figures are that 1 in 4 will experience some sort of mental health issue that’s a high % age . 

Most people bring it on themselves though....rubbish diet,no exercise,too wrapped up in their own thoughts and feelings and spend zero time helping others which ironically enough would help alleviate their mental health problems massively....

I'm not on about PTSD here but the general depression/anxiety that people tend to suffer from these days.....
You have no idea what people have been through in their lives and without that knowledge you're in no position to pass judgement. You speak like a politician - knowing best about people they've never met while being incredibly out of touch.

I could tell you about some of the stuff i've been through but there is no doubt in my mind that you've find it incomprehendable and refuse to believe it.

You have no idea what people have been through in their lives and without that knowledge you're in no position to pass judgement. You speak like a politician - knowing best about people they've never met while being incredibly out of touch.

I could tell you about some of the stuff i've been through but there is no doubt in my mind that you've find it incomprehendable and refuse to believe it.
Try growing up where I did and losing mates to drugs/knives/guns and live in that environment and then what you see in the armed forces and being unaffected afterwards. 

Some people will never understand. 

8 of my mates are dead(all died through drink and drugs)all in their late 30s/early 40s...I've also had my fair share of drink and drug problems myself...I just dont play 'the victim' mate....

Last edited by a moderator:
8 of my mates are dead(all died through drink and drugs)all in their late 30s/early 40s...I've also had my fair share of drink and drug problems myself...I just dont play 'the victim' mate....
Sounds like you came through it and it hasn’t affected you permanently , sadly a lot of people are permanently mentally scared by this type of thing , I know a lot that have in going mental health issues due to this type of thing it’s not that they want to have theses issues but it’s the way what has happened or what they have done that has permanently affected them . I had a mate in the Fireservice who Witnesses a horiffic accident with 9 people being be headed in a RTC involving 6 cars and a lorry carrying a swing shovel , he couldn’t face life after that he turned to drink and drugs and eventually committed suicide , the rest of the crew who witnessed the same incident were fine , so it’s not a cut and dry case with any of us . 

Sounds like you came through it and it hasn’t affected you permanently , sadly a lot of people are permanently mentally scared by this type of thing , I know a lot that have in going mental health issues due to this type of thing it’s not that they want to have theses issues but it’s the way what has happened or what they have done that has permanently affected them . I had a mate in the Fireservice who Witnesses a horiffic accident with 9 people being be headed in a RTC involving 6 cars and a lorry carrying a swing shovel , he couldn’t face life after that he turned to drink and drugs and eventually committed suicide , the rest of the crew who witnessed the same incident were fine , so it’s not a cut and dry case with any of us . 
Someone asked me how did I get over seeing horrible things in the fire service and it had never crossed my mind. Then I realised after an incident, I just switch off and go through the motions and it doesn't really stick in my memory. Many folk in these jobs do it and don't really think about it or we wouldn't do the jobs.

So you've got better ways of coping than others. Great - for you. Not everyone can cope. A lot of people are affected very badly by things. You mention you had drink and drug problems, others have had abuse in their childhood which completely disrupts them. Without meaning to cause offence, nobody forced you to take drugs or get drunk, you did that yourself.

I've been through a hell of a lot of **** in my life but i've never turned to drink or drugs because of it.

Back