Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

It all turned to **** overnight!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Having a major clear out, it's amazing how much cr*p accumulates over the years. ? The trouble is the re-cycling/waste centre is shut like everything else so can't get the stuff out of the house.

The official line is still that this is intended to be a shorter lockdown than the first one and we were let loose after six weeks that time, two weeks gone now.

Having a major clear out, it's amazing how much cr*p accumulates over the years. ? The trouble is the re-cycling/waste centre is shut like everything else so can't get the stuff out of the house.

The official line is still that this is intended to be a shorter lockdown than the first one and we were let loose after six weeks that time, two weeks gone now.
I remember when I had to get rid of stacks of stuff from my parents home. I was so bored some evenings I hacked a 3 piece suite into bits. And over the course of a few weeks it ended up in the wheely bin and dumped courtesy of the council/bin men. First I did think 'man, ive bit off more than I can chew here' but then I got into it with gusto and was pleased with my work. ( though tbh would've been much simpler driving it to the dump) The bin men took all sorts, dozens of tins of old paint etc. One thing I was dreading, blinking great heavy contraption that it was, the stairlift. Put it on gumtree though, and it sold! 400 quid. Surprising what people might buy.

I'm mostly commercial and it has been it wasn't a great 2020, I am lucky I do some coffee shops, take aways, opticians, butchers health stores and chemists which kept me going. It is true that alot of people have been pumping money into their homes, I have done exactly the same thing myself. The reason for this is because frankly there is f**k all else to do & it is where people are spending most their time, so why not improve it I makes sense it's productive spending. Most of my friends have more money now than they have ever had, working from home, getting paid extra, no fuel costs, no holidays etc.

As soon as things open back up again then I am pretty confident that people will be out in their droves, when that will be is the question but they cannot keep locking down society as it has been proven to cause more damage and just makes poor people poorer. Here in Ireland we are in in the midst of our 4th big lockdown over here since all this stuff started and judging by the other three lockdowns people are absolutely itching to get out and about. We as people are not meant to be cooped up, we are social beings and it is no life staying in the house all day and the highlight of your day is a walk around a local park or trip to the super market. 

IMO since covid kicked off, what I have learned about most about myself  is just how much I enjoyed life and the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I love going out for food and drink, holidays, gym, nights out my friends. I suspect most people feel like this & when things open back up people are going to spend a serious amount of money living life enjoying themselves, which is what we are here for, otherwise what is the point in living? I am sick to death of being on my phone or being on the internet while life is passing me by,  f**k that.

As for retail, I think it will be fine but there will be alot of new retailers coming in taking advantage of rent concessions. Crisis is opportunity for people with money & there is always people waiting in the wings to pounce on an opportunity.  I think we will see the face of retail change and a lot of new retailers coming in but at the end of the day people love going out and browsing in shops, it's as simple as that. What might be affected is the price or frequency these retailers they require their windows cleaned.

It's been a grim year and certainly it's no life. It's been a bit of a head down job. Wake up, do some work, come home, go to bed and rinse and repeat. I wish I had a fast forward button to when all this sh*t is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm mostly commercial and it has been it wasn't a great 2020, I am lucky I do some coffee shops, take aways, opticians, butchers health stores and chemists which kept me going. It is true that alot of people have been pumping money into their homes, I have done exactly the same thing myself. The reason for this is because frankly there is f**k all else to do & it is where people are spending most their time, so why not improve it I makes sense it's productive spending. Most of my friends have more money now than they have ever had, working from home, getting paid extra, no fuel costs, no holidays etc.

As soon as things open back up again then I am pretty confident that people will be out in their droves, when that will be is the question but they cannot keep locking down society as it has been proven to cause more damage and just makes poor people poorer. Here in Ireland we are in in the midst of our 4th big lockdown over here since all this stuff started and judging by the other three lockdowns people are absolutely itching to get out and about. We as people are not meant to be cooped up, we are social beings and it is no life staying in the house all day and the highlight of your day is a walk around a local park or trip to the super market. 

IMO since covid kicked off, what I have learned about most about myself  is just how much I enjoyed life and the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I love going out for food and drink, holidays, gym, nights out my friends. I suspect most people feel like this & when things open back up people are going to spend a serious amount of money living life enjoying themselves, which is what we are here for, otherwise what is the point in living? I am sick to death of being on my phone or being on the internet while life is passing me by,  f**k that.

As for retail, I think it will be fine but there will be alot of new retailers coming in taking advantage of rent concessions. Crisis is opportunity for people with money & there is always people waiting in the wings to pounce on an opportunity.  I think we will see the face of retail change and a lot of new retailers coming in but at the end of the day people love going out and browsing in shops, it's as simple as that. What might be affected is the price or frequency these retailers they require their windows cleaned.

It's been a grim year and certainly it's no life. It's been a bit of a head down job. Wake up, do some work, come home, go to bed and rinse and repeat. I wish I had a fast forward button to when all this sh*t is over.
There's truth to what you say.

However! You, and the rest of us are living in a rare time, when we are pretty much at peace and safety, in comparison to most of the generations before us. Nearly every generation has had to face conflicts, wars or starvation. We don't. We are not in a stinking trench in Flanders or the Somme. Surrounded by the rotting and desecrated bodies of our best buddies and comrades, with rats crawling over us. Waiting for the order to fix bayonets and go "over the top" into a hail of machine gun fire and a mess of barbed wire. To, if we're lucky enough to survive that, have to look into the eyes of some other mother's son and hope we can rip his innards out before he does it to us.

A grim description but, there is so much self pity these days. Things are far from ideal. They could be much worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you imagine todays generation dealing with those times.. Todays generation live in that much fear of a virus which according to NHS stats 99.4 percent of infected recover from..

What a great post!

Totally agree with you. I’ve always made the most of my weekends with going football, horse racing, ska gigs and pubs. But didn’t realise how much I would miss them when they are gone.

Cannot wait until it comes back. Really missing being exited on a Friday at work ready for the weekend to start. Now it just feels like you’re waiting for Monday to come round again.

Roll on the summer. One life, live it. It’s going to be magnificent ?

However! You, and the rest of us are living in a rare time, when we are pretty much at peace and safety, in comparison to most of the generations before us. Nearly every generation has had to face conflicts, wars or starvation. We don't. We are not in a stinking trench in Flanders or the Somme. Surrounded by the rotting and desecrated bodies of our best buddies and comrades, with rats crawling over us. Waiting for the order to fix bayonets and "go over the top" into a hail of machine gun fire and a mess of barbed wire. To, if we're lucky enough to survive that, have to look into the eyes of some other mother's son and hope we can rip his innards out before he does it to us.

A grim description but, there is so much self pity these days. Things are far from ideal. They could be much worse.
Absolutely right there! It could be 10 times worse. 

Obviously not got any kids 
their grown up now mate(21 year old daughter and 28 year old son)....?....kids are more resilient than you think...they ll get over it once their back at school.....?

dont turn it into an issue for them....you dont want them to grow up and become "snowflakes".....

What a great post!

Totally agree with you. I’ve always made the most of my weekends with going football, horse racing, ska gigs and pubs. But didn’t realise how much I would miss them when they are gone.

Cannot wait until it comes back. Really missing being exited on a Friday at work ready for the weekend to start. Now it just feels like you’re waiting for Monday to come round again.

Roll on the summer. One life, live it. It’s going to be magnificent ?
Yeah defo. I really miss gigs and getting smashed up with my mates. 

However! You, and the rest of us are living in a rare time, when we are pretty much at peace and safety, in comparison to most of the generations before us. Nearly every generation has had to face conflicts, wars or starvation. We don't. We are not in a stinking trench in Flanders or the Somme. Surrounded by the rotting and desecrated bodies of our best buddies and comrades, with rats crawling over us. Waiting for the order to fix bayonets and go "over the top" into a hail of machine gun fire and a mess of barbed wire. To, if we're lucky enough to survive that, have to look into the eyes of some other mother's son and hope we can rip his innards out before he does it to us.

They were hero,s every one of them...and we hide indoors!!!!

Can you imagine todays generation dealing with those times.. Todays generation live in that much fear of a virus which according to NHS stats 99.4 percent of infected recover from..
And daily infection rate figures saying such as 20,000 cases today mean 20,000 are now immune if they recover and vast majority do recover or do not even know they have had it, so by now the majority must have an immunity or Government figures are lies.

I don't like people and I hate shopping, All hail the internet ?

Back