Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

I've just quit my job :-O

WCF

Help Support WCF:

BenjiRixon

Well as some of you may know I'm a full time chef and part time window cleaner. I have only a few days work on my own round as I haven't done hardly any canvassing and about 2-3 weeks work on my mates round a month.

Anyway I seen the boss woman tonight and told her I'm finishing in the kitchen come sept in 5 weeks time! Just fed up to the back teeth of chefing and working with my mate is not very stable.

So decided to bite the bullet, needless to say the missis hit the roof but she does know window cleaning is better money than chefing and it's a job I love.

Bit nervous but I know I'll never get out there to canvass and build a round while I'm still chefing and helping my mate so it's got to be done.

I know I can work with my mate as and when we go to sorta keep the wolf from the door but need to get out there and make it happen!

Hopefully September will be kind to me ....... Who knows

gert out every hour u can and canvas

do facebook advertising for free on all your local buy and sell groups

get ads up on gumtree as cheap

bascially work like **** and make it so when u do transcend it not a big a knock on the wallet

Cheers guys. I won't lie my **** is twitching a bit but I know it makes sense. Just hoping it's not too late in the year, but as long as weather is fair I'll be happy. I'm quite good at canvassing, just a matter of doing it, very little free time to do it at the moment but i know it'll come :)

Nice one Benji! You know you won't regret it.

I understand that until September, spare time will be limited for you, so you'll do what you can and when that time comes you can put all your energy (if you have any left) into building up your round. You'll also pick up work from people just approaching you while you work, I've gained quite a few customers like that.

Anyway happy day's mate and good luck :thumbsup:

If you need the work you will find it

I was a little quiet tomorrow so done the facebook thing..knocked some doors..got approached from a recommendation. .and now have £140 of work tomorrow instead of £60

You just have to spend every available moment doing it

You've been knackered this long so worth 5 weeks solid to then chill and earn decent money

Best thing you could've done. Don't look back.

I did the same thing last autumn. Life is good now.

Yell.com give you a free, one line posting on their website...I don't get loads from it, maybe one call per fortnight but as it costs nothing it's not too bad....good luck, you're a braver man than me.

Not could but will be the best thing you ever did

Welcome to a life of freedom and financial stability

BenjiRixon. WELL DONE FELLA!!!:balloondance: i bit the bullet last year as a full time chef, if you do anything like 60 hours as a chef, then it will be a little easier as your already use to puttin in the graft!

Trust me mate, as a previous chef too, it will be the best thing you have done for yourself! Just think, you :Dwill be ur own boss, & no longer a "payday slave":bangheadwall:

Hit the canvassing hard & u will be ok, Keep ya eye out for new estates as well:thumbs: as i now have over 50 good jobs in one particular estate, that built up with ease!commercial is picking up as well. Id say get on the wfp as soon as you can though! good money maker! Oh & solar panels are a good earner too:whistle:, so keep ya eyes peeled./emoticons/biggrin.png

Good luck:) keep us posted.

Thanks for all the support guys, nice to get some comforting words and support. Yeah took balls quiting but I've never been out of work and am I good grafter.

Sorta hitting the ground running mind as have my van all kitted out with a 280 litre tank, slx 22 and extention 5&6 so good to 40 feet iirc also my trad skills aren't bad so feeling confident. Been doing it over a year now with my mate so time to put it altogether for my own round.

As long as I can get 10 days work @£100 a day that'll keep me afloat untill the rest builds. Only another 7 days to look for and I'll have enough to pay bills so pressure will be off.

The 3 days work I have got I me and my mate canvassed in 3 hours, so hoping it goes the same next time ! (I wish)

So looking forward to fitting work around my life instead of my life fitting around my work.

The day after I quit I'm having a nice fire in the garden and burning all my chef whites!! Whilst having a shandy or 3 :-D

Well as some of you may know I'm a full time chef and part time window cleaner. I have only a few days work on my own round as I haven't done hardly any canvassing and about 2-3 weeks work on my mates round a month.
Anyway I seen the boss woman tonight and told her I'm finishing in the kitchen come sept in 5 weeks time! Just fed up to the back teeth of chefing and working with my mate is not very stable.

So decided to bite the bullet, needless to say the missis hit the roof but she does know window cleaning is better money than chefing and it's a job I love.

Bit nervous but I know I'll never get out there to canvass and build a round while I'm still chefing and helping my mate so it's got to be done.

I know I can work with my mate as and when we go to sorta keep the wolf from the door but need to get out there and make it happen!

Hopefully September will be kind to me ....... Who knows
Well done fella, that takes minerals. It'll be quiet for the first little while but I reckon it'll pick up nicely. Use this secure period while you are still in employment to build up as much work as you can before going out there. Make sure you use your holiday entitlement, and depending how much you like your employer, use up some sick days too./emoticons/wink.png

Do us proud mate./emoticons/biggrin.png

That's good news benji!

I'm sure you will do well, my 2 pence worth would be to get a good website done that's ranking well on Google when you've got the money, that'll really help bring in the work and will massively help you reach out to commercial work,

Keep us posted, and don't get deflated if you have any bad nights canvassing, just keep going!

And by the way, your very brave and it takes guts to leave a regularly paid job, so full respect to you!

I'm relatively new to the window cleaning and in addition to the free yell ad I mentioned what has generated a bit of work is a cheap ad in the newsagents local to where I want the work...Every time someone called for an estimate I would always knock the neighbours and tell them I'm cleaning the neighbours, more often than not would pick up a few more in the road....The majority of my new stuff comes from people approaching when I'm cleaning house fronts so I used to take my time and do a 100% job on the fronts maximising my exposure and advertising the quality of my cleans, seemed to work ok.

Yeah, people do watch!

Quite a few who've approached me have said they like the fact that I wipe the frames! Of course I wipe the frames I say, it's all part of the window innit! They like sh1t like that /emoticons/smile.png

Yeah, people do watch!Quite a few who've approached me have said they like the fact that I wipe the frames! Of course I wipe the frames I say, it's all part of the window innit! They like sh1t like that /emoticons/smile.png
I have always done the frames, it is how I was taught, but you would be amazed at the amount of window cleaners out there that just do the glass and consider the frames an add on.

On my regular monthlys it's really just a case of maintaining them! It doesn't take a second to pass the cloth over them. Obviously new cleans that are filthy you charge more. Got a few near a busy A road so they're priced accordingly too.

Back