Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leisure battery

WCF

Help Support WCF:

No mate, I've never mains charged. I have two batteries wired together in parallel. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Same as jump starting a car. I have a good quality SCR (Durite). I have two batteries as I have two pumps. The SCR keeps them both charged. Because they are so big and powerful they never seem to be under strain even after a very long working day with very little driving. I always go big and strong with batteries as that way they last way longer. .
I tried this and it never seemed to work. If I have all wires onto one battery and then a wire from that battery connected to another will it work ? 

It was a before the lockdown I tried but I maybe run the main battery down and had a connector which I just connected to with the fully charged battery so then I had a near dead and fully charged battery and it seemed to be using the near dead battery for power still

I tried this and it never seemed to work. If I have all wires onto one battery and then a wire from that battery connected to another will it work ? 

It was a before the lockdown I tried but I maybe run the main battery down and had a connector which I just connected to with the fully charged battery so then I had a near dead and fully charged battery and it seemed to be using the near dead battery for power still
Hi CHWS, I've made a wiring diagram for you. My drawing isn't the neatest but hopefully it will explain the setup well enough for you to get the jist. It's not too complicated or difficult and the Durite SCR kit, if you get a good one aimed at campervans should come with everything you need : clear instructions, plenty  wire, fittings and  cable trunking. If you go this route, take your time. Tell the supplier exactly what make, model and year your van is as there are different systems which require the correct matching unit. Check, double check and treble check everything. Work your way back from the furthest point. The very last thing is the connection at the van battery. This will allow you to work safely without any live wires.

Any doubts seek advice from someone competent with auto electrics. I believe I've done the drawing correctly but it is possible I've made a mistake. By all means show it to someone with more knowledge and experience than I have. I'm not an auto electrician. Where electrics are concerned if you get advise from a non expert (me) please check, check, check.

My SCR is the red one. It has a small red light which comes on when it kicks in and goes after some time when the engine is stopped. I had it mounted high up on the back of the bulkhead for easy observation and access. We can also hear it click in and out from the cab.

FYI, the 6 year old battery was struggling on its own after about 2 years. I was going to scrap it but I decided to ask Mike at Varitech if it would be alright to use it in tandem with a new one. He said it would be a good idea and has proven to be so.

I've got an extra 4 years out of the first battery. With both batteries sharing the work neither is under great strain and it adds up to a very large reservoir of power. I kind of visualise it as two horses pulling a coach instead of just one.

If you go for 2 batteries but no SCR simply wire positive to positive and negative to negative.

The battery boxes were supplied by Hall's Electrical in Swindon. They fitted the SCR as I was not too confident. Also I wanted it ready for work ASAP.

A short while later I bought a comprehensive kit for my campervan, and fitted it myself, taking my time and checking, checking and checking. The battery boxes are made in America for use in emergency vehicles and are very strong. I don't remember the price. 20200508_133908.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Daniel Perkins.

Re your controller problem.

This has just dawned on me this morning. Has this controller and pump combination worked before? If it has then the rest isn't applicable. It also doesn't link in with your problem I don't believe.

I'm asking because these controllers are regulated with amps drawn by the pump under load.  For example, the Varistream controllers we have are designed around the 5 liter per minute Shurflo pump.

I notice on the Streamflo that the label says it draws 3.2 amps max. I'm going to tag @Ian Sheppard again I believe that this current draw is too low for the controller to operate. On my calibration setting my Shurflo pump draws 5.6amps before the controller dead-ends.

I seem to remember a post where someone took a pump from a backpack to use with a van mount system and the controller (spring or Varistream) he bought wouldn't work.

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/streamflo-12v-100psi-pump

3.jpg.d59b7ce211ac559fa6f16ea8e461fa1e.jpg

@Daniel Perkins.

Re your controller problem.

This has just dawned on me this morning. Has this controller and pump combination worked before? If it has then the rest isn't applicable. It also doesn't link in with your problem I don't believe.

I'm asking because these controllers are regulated with amps drawn by the pump under load.  For example, the Varistream controllers we have are designed around the 5 liter per minute Shurflo pump.

I notice on the Streamflo that the label says it draws 3.2 amps max. I'm going to tag @Ian Sheppard again I believe that this current draw is too low for the controller to operate. On my calibration setting my Shurflo pump draws 5.6amps before the controller dead-ends.

I seem to remember a post where someone took a pump from a backpack to use with a van mount system and the controller (spring or Varistream) he bought wouldn't work.

https://windowcleaningwarehouse.co.uk/products/streamflo-12v-100psi-pump

View attachment 20410
Hey mate, this is the way it came for WCW, I haven't touched a thing as regards the setup. I have been using it for about 18 months now with no issues at all.

Regardless of the flashing bat, that dripping surely isn't a good thing. You think it's time for a new pump? I'd like to think that's it's one issue but knowing the way things have been going it wouldn't surprise me if it was another. 

Regardless of the flashing bat, that dripping surely isn't a good thing. You think it's time for a new pump? I'd like to think that's it's one issue but knowing the way things have been going it wouldn't surprise me if it was another. 
The pump is an issue as water will be in the pressure switch. But BAT is low voltage on the battery side. This is why I have flagged @Ian Sheppard. His workshop should be able to say if this is then a controller fault as you have replaced the battery.

The other thing I notice is that bullet connector isn't plugged into anything.

The pump is an issue as water will be in the pressure switch. But BAT is low voltage on the battery side. This is why I have flagged @Ian Sheppard. His workshop should be able to say if this is then a controller fault as you have replaced the battery.

The other thing I notice is that bullet connector isn't plugged into anything.
I disconnected the controller for the pic as I needed to get a clear look, bullet connectors usually connected. 

Thank you for that, hopefully he can give some clarity on the controller issue. I'm half considering just ordering a new pump and controller at this stage but not sure I know how to replace the pump. 

I disconnected the controller for the pic as I needed to get a clear look, bullet connectors usually connected. 

Thank you for that, hopefully he can give some clarity on the controller issue. I'm half considering just ordering a new pump and controller at this stage but not sure I know how to replace the pump. 
I would order the same pump and just replace it like for like. Take a fitting off the old pump and put it on the replacement and the move onto the next part and repeat.

Have you got a stop tap on the tank? That's my technical input on this post ?
If There's no stop tap the pump can still be changed providing it's above the level of the top of the water in the tank. Water won't flow uphill unless it's being syphoned through a pipe and the downstream side is lower. ?

Don't think I have a stop tap, to be honest if I did I probably wouldn't even know about it. I compare this to my van, I can drive it fine but when something goes popping up the hood as fixing it is not my forte. 

I ll probably have to empty the tank as its definitely below water level at the moment. Its like my worst nightmare doing stuff like this lol

Don't think I have a stop tap, to be honest if I did I probably wouldn't even know about it. I compare this to my van, I can drive it fine but when something goes popping up the hood as fixing it is not my forte. 

I ll probably have to empty the tank as its definitely below water level at the moment. Its like my worst nightmare doing stuff like this lol
Drain the tank till it's a few inches below the pump and you'll be fine. ?

I have a pure freedom trolley. I am considering taking the controller and replacing the one in van but that's means taking apart a perfectly functioning trolley system. 

20200511_213720.jpg

Drain the tank till it's a few inches below the pump and you'll be fine. ?
Cheers Davy will do. Would the pump on pure freedom trolley work before I order a new one ? Think it's the same, have to take it out to get proper look. 

I have a pure freedom trolley. I am considering taking the controller and replacing the one in van but that's means taking apart a perfectly functioning trolley system. 

View attachment 20428

Cheers Davy will do. Would the pump on pure freedom trolley work before I order a new one ? 
I can't answer that as I don't know. I'll take a guess it would be less strong, and it would be a shame to cannibalise a sound piece of kit. I reckon someone on here will be able to answer for you.

Latest Posts

Back