Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Leisure battery

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Don't think I have a stop tap, to be honest if I did I probably wouldn't even know about it. I compare this to my van, I can drive it fine but when something goes popping up the hood as fixing it is not my forte. 

I ll probably have to empty the tank as its definitely below water level at the moment. Its like my worst nightmare doing stuff like this lol
Just put a pair of mole grips on the hose coming out of the tank that should stop 99% of the water then change the fittings over 

I have a pure freedom trolley. I am considering taking the controller and replacing the one in van but that's means taking apart a perfectly functioning trolley system. 

View attachment 20428

Cheers Davy will do. Would the pump on pure freedom trolley work before I order a new one ? Think it's the same, have to take it out to get proper look. 
Hi Daniel. The pump leak is an issue as Spruce mentioned the water is running into the pressure switch and will short it so the pump does need attention.

That said I have gone back to your video showing the controller with the display flickering rapidly. Something is not right with the controller. You mentioned having a second controller that is on a trolley and if your not using the trolley for the moment swapping out the controllers seems a good plan. You can mount the PF controller in the same pace as the Facelift one and use the same screws.  Once you have swapped the controllers  please send the faulty one back to Spring directly so we can investigate the controller. If the controller around 12 months old or less it has a return to base manufacturers warranty. Once it us with us we can check it out and let you know what has happened and if the controller is repairable. We would check with you before carrying out any repairs are carried out. 

Please return to Spring ( Europe) Ltd Unit 9 April Court, Sybron Way Crowborough TN6 3DZ

Once the facelift controller is out of teh system can you let me have the serial number that wil be on the side

Cheers

Ian

Hi Daniel. The pump leak is an issue as Spruce mentioned the water is running into the pressure switch and will short it so the pump does need attention.

That said I have gone back to your video showing the controller with the display flickering rapidly. Something is not right with the controller. You mentioned having a second controller that is on a trolley and if your not using the trolley for the moment swapping out the controllers seems a good plan. You can mount the PF controller in the same pace as the Facelift one and use the same screws.  Once you have swapped the controllers  please send the faulty one back to Spring directly so we can investigate the controller. If the controller around 12 months old or less it has a return to base manufacturers warranty. Once it us with us we can check it out and let you know what has happened and if the controller is repairable. We would check with you before carrying out any repairs are carried out. 

Please return to Spring ( Europe) Ltd Unit 9 April Court, Sybron Way Crowborough TN6 3DZ

Once the facelift controller is out of teh system can you let me have the serial number that wil be on the side

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian, 

Thanks for the reply. I have had to order a new controller and pump anyways as i can't wait any longer unfortunately, so I will have to have a go myself installing them. Regardless if I removed the controller or pump from the pf trolley, I would need to replace them anyways so no choice. I'm predominantly trad based and use that system only for about 5 to 6 hours per week. 

I have mentioned the system was purchased about 17 to 18 months ago so it's obviously out of warranty at this stage. Having a controller and pump go after such casual usage is not ideal but thank you for addressing the controller issue on an open forum, i'm also in conversation with WCW about this. Can I ask you how much would repairs be on the controller? 

Regards 

Daniel 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ian, 

Thanks for the reply. I have had to order a new controller and pump anyways as i can't wait any longer unfortunately, so I will have to have a go myself installing them. Regardless if I removed the controller or pump from the pf trolley, I would need to replace them anyways so no choice. I'm predominantly trad based and use that system only for about 5 to 6 hours per week. 

I have mentioned the system was purchased about 17 to 18 months ago so it's obviously out of warranty at this stage. Having a controller and pump go after such casual usage is not ideal but thank you for addressing the controller issue on an open forum, i'm also in conversation with WCW about this. Can I ask you how much would repairs be on the controller? 

Regards 

Daniel 
Hi Daniel.

Repair on a out of warranty controller would be £30.90 + Vat. We are happy to have a look at the controller without charge to find out what is wrong with it and then advise if it can be repaired before going ahead. Out of interest what is the serial number, this helps us identify when the controller was manufactured.

Don't think I have a stop tap, to be honest if I did I probably wouldn't even know about it. I compare this to my van, I can drive it fine but when something goes popping up the hood as fixing it is not my forte. 

I ll probably have to empty the tank as its definitely below water level at the moment. Its like my worst nightmare doing stuff like this lol
Its only a nightmare if you believe its a nightmare. If you plan out your course of action and take things one step at a time then you will succeed.

The lesson you are learning now will be a foundation for other issues pump, controller and battery related you will experience in the future. Unfortunately human nature is that we get ourselves into a state where we can't see the wood for the trees.

The pressure switch housing is held onto the pump head with some screws and sealed with a diaphragm. It could be that the screws have become loose and tightening them will stop the drip.

I would certainly try that first. As they appear to have mounted the pump close to the floor you will have to remove the pump. The photo shows which screws I'm talking about. I've arrowed 2 of them but there will be more. Careful of the screw in the middle of the head as it could be a pressure switch adjusting screw.

Its the minerals and salts in tap water that cause a current to flow through it. Theoretically pure water won't conduct electricity but I'm not foolish enough to test it. If you remove the 2 red wires from the pressure switch and join them together you will remove the pressure switch from the circuit.

streamflow.jpg

This might put the cat amongst the pigeons but I use 2 old van batteries linked in parallel for a 1 man van mount and only charge once a week.

Never have an issue and work all day with them.

Manual reel though so less draw than some guys on here.

I know brodex use normal starter batteries instead of leisure batteries also on recommendation from auto electricians. 

They are better at withstanding being flattened completely rather than leisure batteries that @sprucewill agree don't like going under 50%.

I have taken batteries off friends when they have replaced theirs to start their van.. give them a top up of water and a 48 hr charge and good for a van mount for years.

It's not all about leisure batteries from experience. 

My dad before he died was an auto electrician all his life and taught me about this stuff.

Its only a nightmare if believe its a nightmare. If you plan out your course of action and take things one step at a time then you will succeed.

The lesson you are learning now will be a foundation for other issues pump, controller and battery related you will experience in the future. Unfortunately human nature is that we get ourselves into a state where we can't see the wood for the trees.

The pressure switch housing is held onto the pump head with some screws and sealed with a diaphragm. It could be that the screws have become loose and tightening them will stop the drip.

I would certainly try that first. As they appear to have mounted the pump close to the floor you will have to remove the pump. The photo shows which screws I'm talking about. I've arrowed 2 of them but there will be more. Careful of the screw in the middle of the head as it could be a pressure switch adjusting screw.

Its the minerals and salts in tap water that cause a current to flow through it. Theoretically pure water won't conduct electricity but I'm not foolish enough to test it. If you remove the 2 red wires from the pressure switch and join them together you will remove the pressure switch from the circuit.

View attachment 20429
Hey mate, did what you said. Took pump off and screws did need a tightening alright. Ran pump and doesnt seem to be dripping. Thanks so much for that advice. I have emptied the tank aswell and most interestingly I have removed controller from of trolley to system and I think it works. 

View attachment 20430

Hey mate, did what you said. Took pump off and screws did need a tightening alright. Ran pump and doesnt seem to be dripping. Thanks so much for that advice. I have emptied the tank aswell and most interestingly I have removed controller from of trolley to system and I think it works. 

View attachment 20430
Well done. It wasn't that difficult in the end was it? ? Next time you won't think twice about it.

Sorry you had to find out that the controller appears to be the issue at the cost of a new battery.

When ever something strange happens the first place to look is the battery.

Hi Daniel.

Repair on a out of warranty controller would be £30.90 + Vat. We are happy to have a look at the controller without charge to find out what is wrong with it and then advise if it can be repaired before going ahead. Out of interest what is the serial number, this helps us identify when the controller was manufactured.
No worries thanks Ian. I'll see how I get on with the new one and I might send the faulty controller back to you.

As requested this is a pic of the controller details ?

20200512_112536.jpg

Well done. It wasn't that difficult in the end was it? ? Next time you won't think twice about it.

Sorry you had to find out that the controller appears to be the issue at the cost of a new battery.

When ever something strange happens the first place to look is the battery.
? Aww mannnnn!! I have to say I actually enjoyed taking the system apart, was very interesting after being a bit daunting initially. Although the PF nano trolley was an absolute disaster, tiny, cramped with about 10 cable ties. Trying to put that back together will be fun and games.. you may be hearing from me lol.

I'm hoping when I get the new controller now all is good and I can just crack on and put this saga behind. I honestly don't mind about spending the money for the battery as it's alot better than old one & the new pump as at some stage. Cheerst o everyone for their help in this thread & especially to you spruce, you go above and beyond and frankly i'd be f**ked without you lol. Appreciate it mate ?

Glad you look like you have got it sorted with the help on here. I would take it up with WCW though, it surely should last longer than 18 months. Have you ordered the same combo or gone for a different pump?  Hope you get sorted. 

Glad you look like you have got it sorted with the help on here. I would take it up with WCW though, it surely should last longer than 18 months. Have you ordered the same combo or gone for a different pump?  Hope you get sorted. 
Thanks mate, went for the same stuff. Been into wcw but silent last few days. Told them I think I got it sorted today and explained about pump and controller.

To be honest it's the first time anything I have bought there has gone wrong but yeah certainly is not encouraging having a faulty controller after 18 months.

Think pump is fine, I never noticed how much they vibrate until I actually had look close up when system was in full swing. Maybe the screws weren't tightened enough initially and loosened over time. 

I actually chose to ask on here instead of pursuing wcw as there is so much knowledge and experience on here. I would imagine there's very little wfp related that cannot be answered on here. It's such a comfort to be apart of a community that is so well informed. 

Unfortunately you have to put a warranty limit on everything you sell because it isn't going to last forever.

The majority of controller problems are caused by reverse polarity. Ian Sheppard from Spring confirmed that this was still so with the controllers they get sent back for repair.

Of course this wouldn't be a warranty claim as the damage was cause by an operator error. I've done it. I very much doubt you will get much joy out of WCW with regard to this controller. Its not my experience but there are reports by other window cleaners of WCW dragging their heels when it comes to customer problems.

A while back when they clearly had a consignment of faulty hose they continued to sell it to other unsuspecting cleaners. That kind of put me off. The other thing that bugged me was that they had a very cheap 4040 membrane for sale. It was around £180. It was clearly listed on their site as have a rejection rate of 80% so that's not the issue. As far as I'm concerned they are selling a product that isn't fit for window cleaning purposes.

As Spring were prepared to look at the controller and repair as necessary then I would always choose that route. Excuse the expression but its better to talk to the organ grinder than to the monkey.

Unfortunately you have to put a warranty limit on everything you sell because it isn't going to last forever.

The majority of controller problems are caused by reverse polarity. Ian Sheppard from Spring confirmed that this was still so with the controllers they get sent back for repair.

Of course this wouldn't be a warranty claim as the damage was cause by an operator error. I've done it. I very much doubt you will get much joy out of WCW with regard to this controller. Its not my experience but there are reports by other window cleaners of WCW dragging their heels when it comes to customer problems.

A while back when they clearly had a consignment of faulty hose they continued to sell it to other unsuspecting cleaners. That kind of put me off. The other thing that bugged me was that they had a very cheap 4040 membrane for sale. It was around £180. It was clearly listed on their site as have a rejection rate of 80% so that's not the issue. As far as I'm concerned they are selling a product that isn't fit for window cleaning purposes.

As Spring were prepared to look at the controller and repair as necessary then I would always choose that route. Excuse the expression but its better to talk to the organ grinder than to the monkey.
Absolutely, that's why I just bought the replacements. I ll be happy enough if system is up and running and hopefully I'm wiser for it and I will send the faulty controller back also. 

One thing to note is that leisure batteries are designed to be used until flat and recharged, running leisure batteries off a split charge constantly isn't what the acid plates were designed to take. 

If people are running a split charge system I would recommend a decent van battery as the plates are thinner and are designed to be constantly trickle charged. Had my battery 5odd years now on a durite smart split charger and never had a issue

One thing to note is that leisure batteries are designed to be used until flat and recharged, running leisure batteries off a split charge constantly isn't what the acid plates were designed to take. 

If people are running a split charge system I would recommend a decent van battery as the plates are thinner and are designed to be constantly trickle charged. Had my battery 5odd years now on a durite smart split charger and never had a issue
Sorry but that’s nonsense. Leisure batteries shouldn’t be used to under 50% of its capacity if possible.

As soon as it’s used it should be fully charged as soon as possible 

Latest Posts

Back