Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Monthly Conservatory Roof Clean?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Davit

Hi all,

I've got one customer with a medium sized conservatory with a full glass roof.  They want to have it cleaned as part of the regular monthly clean, but I'm not sure what to do..

Do any of you folks clean glass roofs as part of the regular clean?  Or do you just say that it needs to be a specially priced one-off?

And if you do how do you price it?  I'm thinking an extra £6-£10 but might be miles out.

Appreciate any advice ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean one every month as part of their window clean. It's only a small conservatory with 6 panes, which I can do from the floor and charge them £20 on top of the window clean charge. Takes me about 10 minutes extra.

Remember, they'll still want it spotless (like the windows) so I can't imagine that you're going to be happy with the price that you've stated?!

We do a couple every month on nursing homes and a couple in private houses , depending how dirty they get and size  , prices just for the roof would be  £25 upwards , if a one off prices start from £60 on a glass roof less for polycarbonate 

I clean one every month as part of their window clean. It's only a small conservatory with 6 panes, which I can do from the floor and charge them £20 on top of the window clean charge. Takes me about 10 minutes extra.

Remember, they'll still want it spotless (like the windows) so I can't imagine that you're going to be happy with the price that you've stated?!

Thanks ? interesting to know other folks do them on regular cleans, and wow yes glad I asked on the price ?

We do a couple every month on nursing homes and a couple in private houses , depending how dirty they get and size  , prices just for the roof would be  £25 upwards , if a one off prices start from £60 on a glass roof less for polycarbonate 

Thanks Pjj looks like it'll involve adding a good bit on cheers ?

I have one person who has the gutter facia soffit at the front of the house done every month with the windows, just price it depending how long it takes you. This small strip of guttering takes me 10 mins if that so I add on £10. I have another customer who has insides cleaned every month aswell as outsides again just charge the time it takes me. No different to if they had more windows or a bigger house

I do a lantern roof once a month another one every 8 weeks and a conservatory roof every 8 weeks all glass, £10 for a glass roof is to cheap unless you can blitz it in less than 20 minutes 

I've got one with 6 large panes, all self cleaning glass. The original clean was £70 and took an hour. She asked me on the next clean if we could work something out with the moss and panes that were dripped on. I said I can give it a ''quick rinse'' for £5. Did one pane to show her what I meant and she was chuffed. It's basically one pass over the frame, knock any leaves or moss off, quick scrub and rinse. Not going into every nook and cranny to remove every bit of cr4p. It's nearly always left with tiny black marks which I believe to be from moss, I'm sure you would recognise the stuff I mean, I don't spend ages rinsing that, one rinse and we're done. The benefit for the customer is all the bird muck and big bits of cr4p are gone each month and she will never get the green build up at the bottom of the glass again. Whole thing only takes me 6-7 minutes but you have to set expectations, show them what £6-7 buys them if thats what you wanna charge otherwise as @wezza13 says, they'll still want it spotless.

Mine are never done to 100% with every single tiny speck rinsed off, mine is a balanced clean between an acceptable job for the client and the price they pay which I fully explained to them all about about the the whole cleaning process and extra rinsing required on self cleaning glass which can be 3-4 times longer, I have done all 3 jobs for well over a year maybe more and not a single complaint and I am long gone before the glass has dried 

Mine are never done to 100% with every single tiny speck rinsed off, mine is a balanced clean between an acceptable job for the client and the price they pay which I fully explained to them all about about the the whole cleaning process and extra rinsing required on self cleaning glass which can be 3-4 times longer, I have done all 3 jobs for well over a year maybe more and not a single complaint and I am long gone before the glass has dried 
200.gif

Don't need to wait for the glass to dry if you don't clean it in the first place ?

Whole thing only takes me 6-7 minutes but you have to set expectations, show them what £6-7 buys them if thats what you wanna charge

This is actually what I had in mind yes.  I have cleaned this roof before and it is almost impossible to get it spotless, there's an endless stream of black specs of moss as you've mentioned.

I don't mind offering a cheaper quick rinse over to keep the worst off, it would probably work out more profitable (for my time) to do it that way anyway.  I'd be there for an age getting it completely spot free every time.  Like you say, set expectations and let them decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is actually what I had in mind yes.  I have cleaned this roof before and it is almost impossible to get it spotless, there's an endless stream of black specs of moss as you've mentioned.

I don't mind offering a cheaper quick rinse over to keep the worst off, it would probably work out more profitable (for my time) to do it that way anyway.  I'd be there for an age getting it completely spot free every time.  Like you say, set expectations and let them decide.
Worth cleaning one panel to show them what you mean too mate.

Yeah I'm not suggesting pretend you've done it. I'm saying just don't bother, sit at home and play Playstation all day ?
I could do with one of those days, although my wifes working the weekend so I'll hammer the PS drink beer and eat meat, then I'll be asleep when she want's owt doing ?

I clean a house every 8 weeks. He asked for the roof to be cleaned every time too. It’s supposedly ‘self cleaning’ glass.
It’s 8 average panes wide all in a row, more of a extension roof rather than a conservatory. And access to it is easy I can stand right in front of it. But not a great slope on it, bits stick to it easily.

I charge £50 altogether roof & house. The house without the roof would maybe be £35?

I’d prefer to do it once a year and charge £40 or whatever for the roof but oh well.

I clean a house every 8 weeks. He asked for the roof to be cleaned every time too. It’s supposedly ‘self cleaning’ glass.
It’s 8 average panes wide all in a row, more of a extension roof rather than a conservatory. And access to it is easy I can stand right in front of it. But not a great slope on it, bits stick to it easily.

I charge £50 altogether roof & house. The house without the roof would maybe be £35?

I’d prefer to do it once a year and charge £40 or whatever for the roof but oh well.
Good to have you back, thought you must have won the lottery and took off, I prefer a regular clean every time whether it be every 4 or 8 weeks depending on the location of the house and how dirty the roof can get.

What gets me about this self cleaning glass is how they can market it and sell it for an inflated price over normal glass and it simply does't self clean, I used to clean a large medical practice every 8 weeks with a lot of glass it was around a 2 hour job to clean the windows and the whole building had self cleaning glass, they must have paid £1,000's extra to have it fitted to every window. 

I do loads of atriums included with the regular cleans and the majority when cleaned regularly take less time than the other house windows so that’s how I price them. You will only need to go in high for the first clean or if they are one off mingers. 

Thanks for the advice guys ?

I'm supposed to be cleaning this house today, but it's a tiny bit torrential here so might leave it until tomorrow ?

I think I will offer a reduced price for a 'quick wash' and see what they want to do.  I wouldn't do that for normal windows, but I can see the advantage of keeping the worst off the roof.

If they want a super detailed clean then they can maybe arrange a special one-off.

Good to have you back, thought you must have won the lottery and took off, I prefer a regular clean every time whether it be every 4 or 8 weeks depending on the location of the house and how dirty the roof can get.

What gets me about this self cleaning glass is how they can market it and sell it for an inflated price over normal glass and it simply does't self clean, I used to clean a large medical practice every 8 weeks with a lot of glass it was around a 2 hour job to clean the windows and the whole building had self cleaning glass, they must have paid £1,000's extra to have it fitted to every window. 
"Self Cleaning Glass ". How do they get away with selling it! I doubt they tell the customer it's only self cleaning to a point when they're selling it. They should be called back the first time it gets dirty and asked for a partial refund.

I'm surprised I've never seen it discussed on any TV consumer programmes.

I find the opposite. I have a very large house every 6 weeks that has Activ glass, everything rinses off easily, never have to deal with stuck on bird poo or masses of pollen splats. I believe Pilks now call it Activ glass and have removed the ''self cleaning'' sales pitch from their products as it is very misleading. What I do find with these Conny roof's that have it is they hold a lot of moss in the seals which spreads out all over the glass in little black spots. If they haven't been done for a while you're likely to find a line of green algae at the bottom of the panes. As above this is never troublesome to remove.

Also @RWCleaning where the hell have you been!?!?

Back