Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My first day as a Windy!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

weve always had the opinion that you must overdo the work effort but dont overdo the think. Many overthink and the conclusion is to go home early everytime,result in no exit strategy[nothing worth selling]  .

its not a case of work to live and all thar rubbish thats said by those justifying a huge belly as they crack open another beer. its all about balance,the work level should be just a bit higher than what youre comfortable with ,in Our opinion . 
im 50 in october.....8 guys i grew up with,one who was a very good childhood friend have all been pushing up daisies for the last 4 or 5 years,some died 10 years ago in their late 30s.....

when im lay on my deathbed i wont be saying "i wished id worked a bit harder or longer"...its BS.....

i dont drink beer and havent got a beer belly........i like lifting weights and playing drums in my spare time......

I just try and live and let live. If someone wants to do this or that then its up to them. I'm too busy focusing on my own business life to worry about anyone else. Finished that big PW job today and the customer was very happy with it. Then dropped in on a fireman mate to fit a blind for him. He said they got 1.5% rise this year but had a 7 year pay freeze so the money is ****, lucky if a fireman clears £400 a week and all the benefits have gone. Folk are working 25 year and getting out with a reduced pension so they can start their own business.

why not just use a step ladder? I love my step ladder! Every window cleaner should have one in or on their van! 
Totally agree  I brought one of these a few years ago

https://www.diy.com/departments/werner-7-tread-aluminium-steel-platform-step-ladder-h-2-12m/5010845000290_BQ.prd

I had a few jobs with extensions where I’d stand really far back with my pole fully extended. So much stain on my back and arms and messing about putting extensions on my pole. Was going to drop them as it was hassle. Then got this and there so easy and quick to do. Also great for conservatory roof cleaning. 

How's life on the glass now Ched after a few weeks of it ?

Have you refined your techniques & timings?
Cheers. Getting faster but still being thorough. Did a first clean today that consisted of half bungalow having very new windows the other old. Wow is it so much quicker on cleanish windows. I recon next time it would take me about 20 mins max which is good money wise. Not had any complaints yet, so that's good, custys have all been very happy with job, so I'm pleased with that.

Cut down on chemicals and just the odd bit of pink stuff on bad frames at front of houses or door scuffs - yes I realise that's more than I should be doing but trying to deliver more than promise. Plus making sure the fronts look very good so neighbours can see.

Had 1 custy yesterday that recommended me to her next door neighbour and lady opposite so now 4 jobs on same street!

Now have a 20m extension hose so less backpack moves and a little quicker, not massively as have to coil hose at end of job but does save a bit of time.

Slowly building customers in relatively small area - all within 1.5 miles of home. I am enjoying the work but I have yet to work in poor weather!!!

Cheers for asking mate, hope all is well down south.

Cheers. Getting faster but still being thorough. Did a first clean today that consisted of half bungalow having very new windows the other old. Wow is it so much quicker on cleanish windows. I recon next time it would take me about 20 mins max which is good money wise. Not had any complaints yet, so that's good, custys have all been very happy with job, so I'm pleased with that.

Cut down on chemicals and just the odd bit of pink stuff on bad frames at front of houses or door scuffs - yes I realise that's more than I should be doing but trying to deliver more than promise. Plus making sure the fronts look very good so neighbours can see.

Had 1 custy yesterday that recommended me to her next door neighbour and lady opposite so now 4 jobs on same street!

Now have a 20m extension hose so less backpack moves and a little quicker, not massively as have to coil hose at end of job but does save a bit of time.

Slowly building customers in relatively small area - all within 1.5 miles of home. I am enjoying the work but I have yet to work in poor weather!!!

Well done mate, glad to hear you're doing well

Glad it's going well?. You will almost certainly get the occasional complaint over time, I think we probably all do, but hopefully they'll be very rare and easy to put right. If and when try not to let it get to you too much. It all brings experience and lessons learnt.

Most of mine in the early days were run-off trails from vents, and milky frames. The remedy was to flush the daylights out of the vents on the first wash and give them a lesser wash on maintenance (watch to make sure it's not going inside the house). Leave them for a good few seconds then rinse from an inch below the top of the glass.  Milky frames : a wet finger tip pressed hard and pulled down the frame a couple of inches to see if it leaves a residue on the finger, to confirm diagnosis. A good scrub and again a rinse from an inch below the top of the glass.

You'll soon find the balance to what's sufficient to do a superb job without overkill. Then you won't believe how fast you'll get, but give it time. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh well first mistake... Well first major one. Started a job and the realised I couldn't reach a rear bedroom window as the extension was so large. Oops. An slx27 wasn't long enough as the extension was tall and garden was a bit lower. Did the rest of the job and knocked the price of top window off. Then get home and realise I had laser measure in car so I could have measured to see how long a pole was needed. Doh... Looks like the extension is about 18ft deep and about 8ft high.  Couldn't get it from side either as again too far. Custy was fine about it.

I will have to go back and measure so I know how many extensions I need!!! Any guesses?
Step ladder for extra reach

Step ladder for extra reach
You are right a step ladder would probably have worked.

I'm trying, if at all possible to stay off ladders. I'm just safer with my feet on ground ? .

I did used to go up ladders when I was young, I even remember going up a triple rope pull extension on a girder across the middle of a live road!!! Oh them were the days ? 

You are right a step ladder would probably have worked.

I'm trying, if at all possible to stay off ladders. I'm just safer with my feet on ground ? .

I did used to go up ladders when I was young, I even remember going up a triple rope pull extension on a girder across the middle of a live road!!! Oh them were the days ? 
Good old triples... the death defying days of yesteryear ??⚰?

Back