Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

My first day as a Windy!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I agree @Den
and @Chris34 We turn down several windows that we could reach with our 30 footer, we just say we can't reach. We very rarely use the 30. 22 ft does pretty much everything we're prepared to do. We don't swap poles or brushes throughout the day either, no matter what the window type unless we're doing a soapwash. In which case I'll swap to an older pole and brush. It isn't like golf or going from fly fishing to spinning where different gear is needed. Along with the cost of buying extra poles or extensions don't overlook the extra time effort and hassle involved. Keep it simple, easy and quick. Try to maintain the flow and momentum when you're working (cruise) . ?

Last edited by a moderator:
We will do awkward windows and have quite a few jobs that others said couldn’t be done but we do charge a premium for doing them I say if I have to use a 2k pole to do the job it has to be replaced when it’s worn out si it will be xx tk clean that window most are happy to pay a few arnt ???

Cheers, that makes me feel a bit better. I was considering getting an extension or 2 but you are right that I shouldn't just be buying kit to clean one window. In future I will take the laser measure when quoting ? and manage customer expectations.

Cheers.

Oh well first mistake... Well first major one. Started a job and the realised I couldn't reach a rear bedroom window as the extension was so large.
You could try standing on one of these to get the extra height:

image.png

I would say I use my hop-up at least twice a week for gaining a bit of extra height to reach the odd window, getting the ladders off the van etc... etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
We use ours sometimes for extra height as well. We also put ours on end still folded, against gates that the customers forget to unbolt. We use the leg crossmembers as a very short stepladder. It's slightly easier, quicker and lighter than the short double ladder.

We use ours sometimes for extra height as well. We also put ours on end still folded, against gates that the customers forget to unbolt. We use the leg crossmembers as a very short stepladder. It's slightly easier, quicker and lighter than the short double ladder.
When are you down kayaking ???? 

When are you down kayaking ???? 
Thurs 1st of July for a few days, based at St Just Rugby Ground. Undecided what day we'll be coming back this way. Look forward to meeting you. Wish I could join you for a few beers but since the op it takes me two evenings to get through a bottle of good ale. No worries though. Three was a heavy session for me on a good day. A hearty appetite for a good meal was always my thing and I can eat a reasonable sized meal again, so all good.  ⚓?

You don't have to reach every window just because you're a window cleaner.  It's perfectly acceptable to just say that the window is inaccessible so you cannot do that particular window.

When I first started I thought it looked unprofessional not being able to do them, so I'd say something along the lines of 'I can't currently reach that window but I'll look into getting an extension and then I'll do it at a future date'.  Now I just don't bother, I tell them straight up that to do it will cost me 200 quid in kit so it's not financially feasible to do it, they tend to understand but it's quite rare you come across impossible windows.  

If I can't reach it with what I've got then I don't want to do it.  There is plenty of work that my kit can reach.

Also don't forget the aim is to make a profit.  If you keep buying kit you'll end up like Scottish, you will spend all the profits on more kit.

I started out with 1k of kit, I've since spent another 1k on gutter vac and a few other bits but until I'm earning 40k per year I don't intend to be spending any more.  Just not needed.
Aye, I make over a grand a week but that's 6 days and spend it on stuff. I actually have a plan of action which is nearly complete. Only one thing left to buy and that's a £2k Softwash sprayer when the parts come in from Rutland Pumps. Don't have any space left to store stuff now unless I move house. I do commercial work which pays well but you need the equipment to do the job. I was listening on the radio about how to become successful and they said undertake a task even when you can't be bothered. I will give you a real answer, work 16 hrs a day monday to friday and you will become successful and sleep like a log at night, that's what I have found out. 

Thurs 1st of July for a few days, based at St Just Rugby Ground. Undecided what day we'll be coming back this way. Look forward to meeting you. Wish I could join you for a few beers but since the op it takes me two evenings to get through a bottle of good ale. No worries though. Three was a heavy session for me on a good day. A hearty appetite for a good meal was always my thing and I can eat a reasonable sized meal again, so all good.  ⚓?
Looking forward to meeting up and putting a face to the name ???

Aye, I make over a grand a week but that's 6 days and spend it on stuff. I actually have a plan of action which is nearly complete. Only one thing left to buy and that's a £2k Softwash sprayer when the parts come in from Rutland Pumps. Don't have any space left to store stuff now unless I move house. I do commercial work which pays well but you need the equipment to do the job. I was listening on the radio about how to become successful and they said undertake a task even when you can't be bothered. I will give you a real answer, work 16 hrs a day monday to friday and you will become successful and sleep like a log at night, that's what I have found out. 
who wants to work 16 hours days?thats not success its being a busy fool with no other life outside of work.......25 hours a week window cleaning and earning 50k a year is success in my little world....it leaves me with plenty of time for hobbies,family and walking the dog!?

who wants to work 16 hours days?thats not success its being a busy fool with no other life outside of work.......25 hours a week window cleaning and earning 50k a year is success in my little world....it leaves me with plenty of time for hobbies,family and walking the dog!?
If you are working for 25 hours a week 48 weeks a year at £50 per hour isn’t that 60 k per year ???

You could try standing on one of these to get the extra height:

View attachment 24950

I would say I use my hop-up at least twice a week for gaining a bit of extra height to reach the odd window, getting the ladders off the van etc... etc...
Yeah Ched, definitely get one of these, I've got one and use it all the time, almost daily.  The extra height just allows you to get closer to the window without the edge of the extension roof getting in the way.

Probably the most used tool I've got other than the pole and brush, pump etc.

My mother and father did it when running their hotel. At the start they worked non stop but a decade later they could employ and take time off. I'm conditioned to the same idea. I will work hard for the rest of the summer and then it all fits into place. The new van will have a 350l or 300l tank RO hotwater system. PW fitted at back door so easy access to reel and bin not on the pavement. 4 pieces of van racking fitted into place. 4m double ladder and roof ladder fitted into place and one section of scaffold in its own place. Exactly like a Fire Engine, everything I need will have its own spot so I don't need to go looking for it. When it comes to fruition then I'll slow down and pick and choose my jobs. Well that's the plan anyway.

My mother and father did it when running their hotel. At the start they worked non stop but a decade later they could employ and take time off. I'm conditioned to the same idea. I will work hard for the rest of the summer and then it all fits into place. The new van will have a 350l or 300l tank RO hotwater system. PW fitted at back door so easy access to reel and bin not on the pavement. 4 pieces of van racking fitted into place. 4m double ladder and roof ladder fitted into place and one section of scaffold in its own place. Exactly like a Fire Engine, everything I need will have its own spot so I don't need to go looking for it. When it comes to fruition then I'll slow down and pick and choose my jobs. Well that's the plan anyway.
whatever works for you but dont forget to enjoy the journey......you might be dead in 10 years time......

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I enjoy working and buying new equipment. Received my new Spinaclean Skyvac and poles today and I must say its fantastic piece of kit. Also received 4 roof bar clamps which are great because they are wide and come with a few keys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08XWQ9P2Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
what is your plan?as you seem to have a lot of equipment for a one man operation......dont spread yourself too thin....being jack of all trades is a headache for most sole traders....its much easier,less faff to concentrate on your core service rather than offer too many services....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest Posts

Back