Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

No rinsing needed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

One of the first things I remember being concerned about when I switched to wfp 16yrs ago was getting water into vents due to all the negative comments about dirt dribbling out over the clean windows.
However, I wasn't happy leaving dirty looking top frames because of worrying about vents so I started cleaning them and found I seldom had any issues at all. Any issues I did have I found ways to manage. The most common way is to clean all the frames first and then go back and do the windows after the initial flush of water has stopped.
I often wonder what customers who are watching us are thinking when they see us skip the windows on the first go around but they soon get the hang of how we're working and usually end up saying something like a new customer did yesterday - "Amazing job!"
You and I must a bit strange as apparently it’s impossible to do what we are doing according to some ??? and they arnt prepared to see for themselves that it can easily be done

I wouldn't have any issues at all if it wasn't for these jobs, I do clean them as I would any other vent and give them 100% I think the fact that I can actually see the water going inside into the window frame makes me a tad apprehensive at times it's just the smallest amount of spotting which I don't believe I'd get if they were constructed like other trickle vents,
Yeah now imagine if 50% of your work had those same type of vents... would scrubbing them more help the situation, because that's what PJJ reckons. For me scrubbing them more doesn't make one jot of difference, it's the type of vent that's causing the problem.

I've got vents that don't cause any issues... it's the problem ones that using more water to 'flush' them will not make a difference.

I had a bit of sympathy for you to begin with, as I have the rare odd problem with vents.
However you lost that sympathy by adding a boast (if true) to your post.
Something that spoils this forum.
Anyway cheer up all you lot bickering, it’s Friday ???
Sorry if it came across as bragging, there is no easy way to put it. When you're being ridiculed like your doing something wrong but can see the recommendations and the money coming in.... I just regard success as money, if you're making good money then you must be doing something right.

Do you believe yourself that if you scrubbed the problem vents you have with more water, do you believe you won't have a problem?

You can’t act like you have superior standards then not do vents as they may cause an issue
Stop worrying about £ph and clean them then wait for them to drip
Part of the job for proper window cleaning
It's not all vents, it's just certain types, plenty I have I can scrub, it's harder to turn the water off than it is to scrub a vent.

One of them is on a terraced house with two windows, if I waited for them to stop dripping then I'd be there for ages, I've tried in the past drying them and thinking that I've solved it, only to come back the next month and find a great big trickle line all the way down the glass. The water sits inside the vent and eventually trickles out down the glass.

Yeah now imagine if 50% of your work had those same type of vents... would scrubbing them more help the situation, because that's what PJJ reckons. For me scrubbing them more doesn't make one jot of difference, it's the type of vent that's causing the problem.

I've got vents that don't cause any issues... it's the problem ones that using more water to 'flush' them will not make a difference.
Taking an extra bit off time would help, I'm maybe tippy toeing around these too much after 8 years off cleaning the oldest houses.

50% of my rounds wouldn't consist of these the house builder is small time hence the skimping on better quality windows.

I personally think on the whole your wrong not giving 100% you're never going to know because you ain't got the ??to make the leap and give 100% you can't claim to strive for perfection with a microfiber cloth wiping the sills the avoid cleaning the vents thoroughly

I generally have Mondays off to recover from Sundays.
I’m having today off though as a bunch of us are off to Skamouth.
This is a massive ska festival in Great Yarmouth. Start stomping ??
Enjoy which I'm sure you will, then you'll be all tucked up in bed nursing your hangover on Monday with a packet of custard creams

For our requirements it would mean we would need Di after / before pump but when required the water would be hot so can't try it
I don't know your setup but if the flow went from tank to pump to DI to heater then you would only be putting warm water through the DI or does your return to tank heat the tank water up so much by the end of the day the tank is hot?

Take some pictures of your problem vents up close and at a distance and let’s see what they are like

It's not all vents, it's just certain types, plenty I have I can scrub, it's harder to turn the water off than it is to scrub a vent.

One of them is on a terraced house with two windows, if I waited for them to stop dripping then I'd be there for ages, I've tried in the past drying them and thinking that I've solved it, only to come back the next month and find a great big trickle line all the way down the glass. The water sits inside the vent and eventually trickles out down the glass.
I had a few problem vents on a row of terraced bungalows. They where on a busy main road and I don't think had been cleaned in years. I would scrub and blast water at them but trying to get years and years of dirt out took about 6 months. What I would do on first few cleans would be to wipe under the vent with a microfibre cloth to remove excess water (microfibre on brush). That stopped any run marks. Then I managed to get it down to scrubbing all the window and vent, rinsing it all, then flicking my brush to get as much water off it as possible, then wipe under the vent with the dry brush, lastly rinse just the glass again. In the end the vents stopped leaking dirty water as all the dirt had been removed but it did take 6 months!!
It did take longer to clean each time and took a lot of cleans to get the vents clean but on those ones I managed it!

I'm not going to get into the argument about cleaning or not cleaning certain types of vents. Everyone works differently and has different techniques which is great and it's good to hear about how people do things as we can all learn from each other but there is no point taking pops at each other. There are so many variables from technique, equipment, water temp etc everyone's experience will be different and we all learn how to overcome problems in our own ways but sharing problems and how we overcome them is of so much benefit to us all. Sometimes I think 'no that can't be right' on some posts and then think about it and give it a try even though I may be sceptical. Sometimes the things work other times they don't but I wouldn't say the techniques don't work just that they didn't work for me.

Weekend nearly hear so chill and have an enjoyable one.

I don't know your setup but if the flow went from tank to pump to DI to heater then you would only be putting warm water through the DI or does your return to tank heat the tank water up so much by the end of the day the tank is hot?
We don't return that much as the nature of our work is mostly constant running water and only really use it when it is sub zero. However the lower the tank gets the higher the percentage of returned water becomes so the last 100 litres or so will be above 50 degrees. The tank, 800 litres, only lasts us around 4.5 hours on this type of work.

After scrubbing the glass you then have to rinse it, I'm meaning a tool that takes away the need to rinse after the scrubbing.

I wouldn't entertain someone saying there not happy as its done to fast, its irrelevant, they have paid to get there windows cleaned, tell them to go amd check if there clean or not, if there not clean that would be the time to say something.

I dropped someone off to clean the sofits of a house before front and back, we done them by hand at the time and he only took enough scrims for one job, the neighbour ended up getting done too, I get a phone call saying your going to have to come and deal with this one isn't paying. When I got their I was told he was there 20 mins and made a big point that he was using dirty scrims. I asked the guy how long he's been standing about for? He said 10 mins, I said I dropped him off 2 hours ago and if your saying he's not been working for 10 mins then then your time frame doesn't add up. After this again it was the dirty scrims. I walked round the property with him and told him any parts of it that he's not happy with can he point them out, he couldn't point anything out but again said but he was doing it with dirty scrims. I said tbh he could do it with a soiled nappy and it shouldn't make any difference to you aslong as its done what you had asked for. Told him to have a look online for a price guide or phone around a few people to get a price then get an average based on that. Told him if what you've paid is over that average then il give you the money back. If not I expect an apology next month for thinking its me doing you here when your going to realise its me doing you the favour. He thought it was to expensive so was looking for reasons to get it down. He apologised the following month saying he basis things still on 20 years ago.
Some people ?
Your lads done a good job, the proof is in the dirty scrims and the two hours time he spent.
If people moan about pricing, i say it's not a yearly job, if you have it done every 2 years the price works out to a quid a week, that always shuts them up.

Wiping the sills with a cloth ? Ok what about the top sills I presume you don’t do them then it’s not 100% .Have always found it not necessary .Have a good weekend chaps ?

Yes it would solve the problem dirt that’s not in the vent cannot come out ,it’s not a difficult one to work out ,the reason you are getting track lines is due to the fact some dirt is still in the vent

Wiping the sills with a cloth ? Ok what about the top sills I presume you don’t do them then it’s not 100% .Have always found it not necessary .Have a good weekend chaps ?
and that's your perspective. Another person would say it's not 100%. For reference I'm not claiming to be 100%, I'm just stating why would I bother going to the trouble of drying the sills if I didn't give a sh1t about the standard of work?

Yes it would solve the problem dirt that’s not in the vent cannot come out ,it’s not a difficult one to work out ,the reason you are getting track lines is due to the fact some dirt is still in the vent
The majority of the problem vents it actually comes from the edges, so where's that coming from? It's the edge of the plastic. like the water sits actually on top of the vent and then drips down over the sides.

I'll try and remember to take a photo the next one I come across.

Maybe you need a high flow rate and work really fast, so you're not putting too much water on those windows. Then they will drain faster. Clean the vents once a year in the winter when weather is bad and then stay away from them for the rest of year. If cobwebs appear just bend the hose and brush them off without using water.

Maybe you need a high flow rate and work really fast, so you're not putting too much water on those windows. Then they will drain faster. Clean the vents once a year in the winter when weather is bad and then stay away from them for the rest of year. If cobwebs appear just bend the hose and brush them off without using water.
That's what I do ? that's what everyone is so heated up about... the not rinsing of the vents on each clean ??

Back