Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

One near miss to many

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Go for the bigger SLX 27....best thing I did.....got loads of new 3 storey stuff and quite a few with windows over the conservatory that none of the tradders could reach.

The 3 storey customers will pay more for the fact that you can clean them......did some today at £12/£15 a pop....3 at £15 and 4 at £12 all in same general area...moved van 100m twice and done in under 2 hours and really steady away no rush at all.

The 27 is ideal for these and over conservatories....you'll not do them with a 22.
Cheers for the advice but the SLX is just to pricey for me at the moment, i wish it wasnt but it is

You order your pole yet?
No mate, ive messaged @Alex Gardiner and asked him to give me a ring as i think i want a different combo of things that come up on the website.

Have spoke to the lad that will supply me with water and agreed a deal with him at £0.05ppl taking 375ltrs a cpl of times a month until end of Feb, so ive gotta get my ar5e into gear and do a home set up water system fairly sharpish.

No mate, ive messaged @Alex Gardiner and asked him to give me a ring as i think i want a different combo of things that come up on the website.

Have spoke to the lad that will supply me with water and agreed a deal with him at £0.05ppl taking 375ltrs a cpl of times a month until end of Feb, so ive gotta get my ar5e into gear and do a home set up water system fairly sharpish.
Good idea mate. Gardiner are cracking. Even if you don’t speak to him their entire team are knowledgable! 

Two more recommendations before I hit the hay. 

1. Get yourself a TDS meter when you order from them. This will both allow you to keep a eye on the water you are buying and also test your own water to see what it’s coming out at. I just use DI myself but it comes out the tap at 75ppm for me. 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/pure-water-systems/water-treatment/tds-ez-water-quality-test-meter-by-hm-digital.html

2. You were asking about different jet types earlier. The brush you are ordering uses Gardiner’s new capsule system. This allows you to easy swap out jets (again, video in link). Maybe a ideal to order a few different types and see what you like. You’ll get one set free with brush and you should go for 2mm pencils, but you may want to try others also. 

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/jet-capsules-quick-release-jets-for-brushes.html

Let us know how you get on!

I wouldn't have ordered 2mm jets with a back-pack the flow from 2mm jets is painfully slow and it will take an age to rinse, I would opt for the 1.4 mm jets they offer a good flow and will help with water saving, brushes are a very personal thing and sill brushes weigh a ton, for a first brush I would opt for a Super-Lite the medium mixed would be a good first brush just enough scrubbing power and can be used on leaded windows if scrubbing side to side not up and down, this is my own personal opinion form over 11 years experience.

I wouldn't be concerned about trying different jets, pencil jets will serve you well the water goes were you want it to with fans it goes everywhere, You need a decent robust brush and a Super-Lite will do the job as you will catch the window reveals, I see a good few newbies struggling at times with a sill brush and you will more so trying to clean a window above a conservatory from the side, your shoulders and arms will ache as you get used to wfp so far better to go middle of the road with kit when starting out in terms of cost and also the weight of your wfp set up. 

I wouldn't have ordered 2mm jets with a back-pack the flow from 2mm jets is painfully slow and it will take an age to rinse, I would opt for the 1.4 mm jets they offer a good flow and will help with water saving, brushes are a very personal thing and sill brushes weigh a ton, for a first brush I would opt for a Super-Lite the medium mixed would be a good first brush just enough scrubbing power and can be used on leaded windows if scrubbing side to side not up and down, this is my own personal opinion form over 11 years experience.

I wouldn't be concerned about trying different jets, pencil jets will serve you well the water goes were you want it to with fans it goes everywhere, You need a decent robust brush and a Super-Lite will do the job as you will catch the window reveals, I see a good few newbies struggling at times with a sill brush and you will more so trying to clean a window above a conservatory from the side, your shoulders and arms will ache as you get used to wfp so far better to go middle of the road with kit when starting out in terms of cost and also the weight of your wfp set up. 
Water saving is huge for me to start with as im buying my water in so thanks for the advice.

How long do brushes generally last?

Water saving is huge for me to start with as im buying my water in so thanks for the advice.

How long do brushes generally last?
As you are only doing the tops and don't have full rounds you will get 12 months + out of one mine usually last 6-7 months with around  400 jobs every 4 weeks https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-pack-of-5-1-0mm-welding-tips/ these are also a jet option moving forward although I switched from these to 1.4mm jets and use the same or less water with just the right flow

Think you'll regret getting a 22....you'll be turning work away...you won't reach a lot of windows over conservatories which is a great usp.

20180306_142011.jpg

20180306_142124.jpg

20171204_103535.jpg

Think you'll regret getting a 22....you'll be turning work away...you won't reach a lot of windows over conservatories which is a great usp.

View attachment 18089

View attachment 18090

View attachment 18091

You have to draw the line somewhere he could get a 35 foot pole but that won’t reach everything, for the type of job he will be starting out with 22 should do him ok he has been trad he’s not going to have been trading windows like that , both the pictures look like a 22 would reach to me ?.. once you get established and earning you can expand and get more and bigger poles , you don’t want to be using a huge pole for two storey 3 bed semis , to heavy and bulky 

View attachment 18089

View attachment 18090

View attachment 18091

I've found that the SLX22 has reached every window I've tried to do so far.  Including some like in the photos there, though it is often fully extended to do them (and I've got my grimace face on for the ones over conservatories ??)

View attachment 18089

View attachment 18090

View attachment 18091
Puzzled by your words and photos as it looks like you are using a 22ft pole, I am 5ft nowt and can easily reach the vast majority of windows above conservatories without issue and even the top floors on a good few 3 storey townhouses on new build estates, bottom pic I would do the window from the side if the bins weren't in the way with a angle change on the brush ?

I use an SLX 30 with 2 sections removed all day. I imagine that's 21-22ft. It's very rare I need to put the bottom sections on, I would be comfortable that a 22 would clean all the pictures above but for good measure it would be worth investing in a step ladder.
I think you must have missed were he said he ain't so good with ladders after a near miss ?

The brown frame picture is deceptive.....that's a SLX 25 and it's a tow with that....when I do first cleans I use, where possible, a CLX 22 with a turbo brush on to get the frames up to scratch first.......couldn't get to those two when I did first clean with it...maybe with a step ladder.....the bottom picture could be reached from the side with a swivel on but it's far easier working straight on where possible.

I have a few 3 stories where the 25 only just reaches on the front windows....have base of pole around chest height to reach.

I made the opposite "mistake" when I went wfp....bought I think it was 37 foot carbon composite pole which was a beast.

Back