Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Picked my new van up, advice needed

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Sorry IG. I somehow missed this one.

These C-Tek chargers are pretty good but generally C-Tek make low amperage output chargers that can be used for a variety of different batteries; starter, motor cycle, leisure, AGM etc.

But if you have a relatively flat 110 amp battery, its going to take ages to charge it at 5 amps. (at 50% discharged it will probably take 12 hours to recharge the battery.)

I have found that my bog standard Numax 10amp leisure battery charger for motor homes kicks on at 14.2v for an intial 'boost' charge and quickly drops to 13.9v. These are all safe battery charging profiles for most batteries. A flooded leisure battery can be charged at 14.6v but the same maintenance free leisure battery should only be charged at 14.2v. Its all about gassing. So if I have a flooded battery my charger isn't really charging that battery to full capacity as fast as it could.

I have found over the years that after charging/float charging my leisure battery, the alterator is still able to push some more in. That's fine for a flooded battery because my alternator charges at 14.6v. If I had a sealed battery, then that should really only be charged at 14.2v. I would expect those extra charge volts to effect battery longevity. (My Sterling batt to batt charger has seperate charge setting for AGM, lead acid flooded, lead acid sealed and lithium.)

All I can say is that in the 12 years I have had this Numax charger I haven't had a battery problem. When I had my trailer system I was replacing the leisure battery every year. I was using a car charger to charge that, but the battery was also mounted on the trailer's drawbar and exposed to the elements. So I can't say if these battery failures were down to the charger or the elements or both.
I have a habit of editing a reply, Got my new Numax battery today and put it on charge tonight as it wasn't fully charged and ready to go, using my Halfords charger on a standard setting, I had considered a Numax charger from Tanya batteries but wasn't sure and if I have a charger already I didn't want to replace something if it does the job, but I may buy one in the future had a bit of a  spend this past week

Last edited by a moderator:
@spruce I have been thinking over chargers today and so far in last 8 years of using a van mount, I am on my second Halfords charger at a cost of around £80-90, if you bought your Numax charger 12 years ago then no doubt you have paid far less than me and had greater longevity, I bought my current charger for £54.99 just over 4 years ago, so it might be due to expire so I will purchase this one https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/numax/leisure-12v-10a/ ?

@spruce I have been thinking over chargers today and so far in last 8 years of using a van mount, I am on my second Halfords charger at a cost of around £80-90, if you bought your Numax charger 12 years ago then no doubt you have paid far less than me and had greater longevity, I bought my current charger for £54.99 just over 4 years ago, so it might be due to expire so I will purchase this one https://www.tayna.co.uk/battery-chargers/numax/leisure-12v-10a/ ?
I have two of those permanently fixed in my van. They’ve never missed a beat ?

Its worked for me. I have replaced the cooling fan twice (easy purchase off Ebay costing pennies) and a new supply cable which is also available.

What I would like to have seen is a base plate but its no big deal. I purchased a couple of Torberry connectors and so have a permanent fly lead attached to the battery so I just plug the charger in as and when I need it. I'm terrible with polarity mix ups and this prevents me doing this. This fly lead is connected before my B2B charger so charges both my van starter battery and the leisure battery at the same time.

The unit comes with battery terminal clamps/clips so I can still use it to charge any other battery I want.

I also paid £67 for it from Tanya so the price has come down a bit.

They recommend this for batteries up to 165amph (its on the packaging). @dazmond got a charger from Grippa but his was a 20amp as he charges 2 batteries every night as he runs a pump, a diesel heater and an electric hose reel.

Its worked for me. I have replaced the cooling fan twice (easy purchase off Ebay costing pennies) and a new supply cable which is also available.

What I would like to have seen is a base plate but its no big deal. I purchased a couple of Torberry connectors and so have a permanent fly lead attached to the battery so I just plug the charger in as and when I need it. I'm terrible with polarity mix ups and this prevents me doing this. This fly lead is connected before my B2B charger so charges both my van starter battery and the leisure battery at the same time.

The unit comes with battery terminal clamps/clips so I can still use it to charge any other battery I want.

I also paid £67 for it from Tanya so the price has come down a bit.

They recommend this for batteries up to 165amph (its on the packaging). @dazmond got a charger from Grippa but his was a 20amp as he charges 2 batteries every night as he runs a pump, a diesel heater and an electric hose reel.
Thank you, today my neighbour has changed my electrical connections form my controller and my new power-up hd reel for 8mm ring connectors to fit on the threaded connections on the new battery, for now I can disconnect the cable a bit like the Torberry connectors from my Halfords charger so this is my current plan. 

If you could please point me to which Torberry connections to purchase for the standard terminals, it would be greatly appreciated, then I will purchase the Numax charger and do as you have done with permanent connections, without the need to remove the battery tray cover ?

Thank you, today my neighbour has changed my electrical connections form my controller and my new power-up hd reel for 8mm ring connectors to fit on the threaded connections on the new battery, for now I can disconnect the cable a bit like the Torberry connectors from my Halfords charger so this is my current plan. 

If you could please point me to which Torberry connections to purchase for the standard terminals, it would be greatly appreciated, then I will purchase the Numax charger and do as you have done with permanent connections, without the need to remove the battery tray cover ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLF-BATTERY-LEAD-RED-BLACK-ANDERSON-TORBERRY-CONNECTOR-400mm-LONG/263736348621?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57478%26meid%3D4270bdd52f124d6d9ca7957d8ee0611f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D333184170516%26itm%3D263736348621%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

It could be that the terminals aren't configured the same as those supplied with the Numax charger. Easily rectified as the sleeve will pull back and the connectors slide apart and changed accordingly. These connectors are very cleverly designed as they join together. Its impossible for me to connect them up incorrectly.

These connectors are the 30 amp ones.

I ordered 5 sets once similar to these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-x-TORBERRY-CONNECTOR-HOUSINGS-RUBBER-BOOTS-ROLL-PINS-CONTACTS-10-PAIRS/142028370044?hash=item21118cf07c:g:RL0AAOxyDgRQ9Sn1

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
But knowing @sprucehis charger will be like Triggers brush ?

I’ve had my numax chargers a few years now, just out of interest @spruce, how did you know your cooling fans were breaking/broken, and how easy/difficult are they to replace?

Thanks ?

After some faffing about and tweaks I've finally got it how I like it. Only thing now is the bigger tank and get it bolted in, which should be done in a few weeks. IMG_20190823_140942.jpgIMG_20190823_140927.jpgIMG_20190823_140935.jpgIMG_20190815_113211.jpg

Back