Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pricing driveways

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Another reason to not under price is you never know what can happen. We’ve arrived on a job this morning and the water pressure is just awful. Far too low. I did a precheck on the quote and the pressure was fine. Maybe the water board are doing maintenance somewhere else and have altered the pressure i don’t know, but this driveway is going to take far longer than it should, slow and steady. And we run the risk of breaking the pump on the pressure washer...?‍♂️ no good

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Another reason to not under price is you never know what can happen. We’ve arrived on a job this morning and the water pressure is just awful. Far too low. I did a precheck on the quote and the pressure was fine. Maybe the water board are doing maintenance somewhere else and have altered the pressure i don’t know, but this driveway is going to take far longer than it should, slow and steady. And we run the risk of breaking the pump on the pressure washer...?‍♂️ no good

Might be better with a hydrant license.

Talking to a guy PW an average size driveway today and asked him the going rate. He said about £500 but this is a friend and I'm doing it for £300. This PW cleaning is getting better all the time I thought. I would be happy with £300 a day and after 10 days I would have paid back my new PW that I'm getting.

I only use a 6.5 hp clarke from machine mart. It’s awesome, £650 ish? It does say 30 power washes a year roughly, driveways, patios & that. Made its money back in no time. Had it 3 years and will be having another
emoji4.png

I made a few large sandwich advertising boards today for when I'm powerwashing. Handy if anyone wants a quote when I'm in the area. Getting my sign writer to make me 4 pvc boards which I will fix on to them. Probably £100 for them, good to put on the pavement and acts as a barrier also.

Might be better with a hydrant license.
Talking to a guy PW an average size driveway today and asked him the going rate. He said about £500 but this is a friend and I'm doing it for £300. This PW cleaning is getting better all the time I thought. I would be happy with £300 a day and after 10 days I would have paid back my new PW that I'm getting.
In Fife an average drive wouldn't be anywhere near that, like a two car drive. People always lie about what they earn, I could get ten emails through my website ( people that specifically look me up) and if I asked for even 300 to wash only a 2 car drive I would get maybe 1 or 2 max to the point of sale.

This market is diluted by Facebook buy and sell cheap boys now, you can make a decent hourly rate up here on them but there is 100% not a goldmine there unless you had a website that was massive and offered various add ons..AND ranked highly for all cities.

In Fife an average drive wouldn't be anywhere near that, like a two car drive. People always lie about what they earn, I could get ten emails through my website ( people that specifically look me up) and if I asked for even 300 to wash only a 2 car drive I would get maybe 1 or 2 max to the point of sale.

This market is diluted by Facebook buy and sell cheap boys now, you can make a decent hourly rate up here on them but there is 100% not a goldmine there unless you had a website that was massive and offered various add ons..AND ranked highly for all cities.

Totally agree with you Chris - for me this year the price seems to have dropped. I am only getting about 40% of my quotes and the reason is - price ? A lot of door knocking going on round me and cheap prices - worst i have known for years. I have also seen a lot more guys out there cleaning as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are both right and £500 is a non starter. I'm sticking with my pricing plan which is £3 a sq metre for cleaning then re-sanding. The sand is £6 a bag and will need £50 worth on a job and throw in diesel and petrol for machine means another £50. So one is £100 before you begin. It also depends where one is working. My first job is the means where there is big houses and usually rich families. I have 5 jobs to do so I will take it from there. I will letter every house on the small estate to see if I get any feed back but I am only doing it for fun, if it takes off then so be it, if not I wont be disheartened. I will keep you all up to date when I get my PW on Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of time people get a quote and are shocked at the price. They base it on the fact they have a karcher in the garage and it's worth a hundred quid and they will do it themselves.. Then they go and try doing it and blow up karcher after a couple of hours having cleaned 10m2....

The jobs I quote and don't get most just don't get done. That's both commercial and residential. 

I had a few of those karacher washers and everyone gave u the ghost after 13 months. They are ok for cleaning the car but not meant for driveways. Karacher must make a fortune out of those washers, nearly everyone has one or had one.

I think you are both right and £500 is a non starter. I'm sticking with my pricing plan which is £3 a sq metre for cleaning then re-sanding. The sand is £6 a bag and will need £50 worth on a job and throw in diesel and petrol for machine means another £50. So one is £100 before you begin. It also depends where one is working. My first job is the means where there is big houses and usually rich families. I have 5 jobs to do so I will take it from there. I will letter every house on the small estate to see if I get any feed back but I am only doing it for fun, if it takes off then so be it, if not I wont be disheartened. I will keep you all up to date when I get my PW on Thursday.
Pricing is always better in a more bespoke fashion. No two 100 square metre drives will be the same, one can have a great run off, water supply and access the other may slope down towards the garage door (poor drainage) and have a poor water pressure...and maybe much more lichen to deal with. Drive two may take twice as long to clean or longer even though it's the same dimensions as drive 1.

Always price drives on overall time estimates or get burnt.

Back