Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

R.O problem - can you bleach them out ?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I’ve got a booster pump and run at 80psi. 

I changed the three prefilters for a fibredyne and a sediment filter at the same time. 

I flushed for about 15 minutes and got 08 from 330 then onwards. 

I’ve got a booster pump and run at 80psi. 

I changed the three prefilters for a fibredyne and a sediment filter at the same time. 

I flushed for about 15 minutes and got 08 from 330 then onwards. 
Yes I use fiberdyne also Fortunately My water pressure is good so don’t need a booster. 

Wished it turned out for me going to try the Axeon again but will get mine from Doug this time. 

Mine is only 48psi, maybe why it took so long to reach the 98%. It's unlucky you've ended up with a bad batch- unless there is some other issue with your system but I can't think what.
No all working as it should I did order and fit another flow restrictor just in case it was that, all the serial number were almost the same so was from the same batch.

I've taken all membranes and filters out and filled the rest of it with bleach to soak few hours. I'll refit everything tomorrow and see what its like

While this subject is being discussed, I have bought some new pre-filters. Pentair?? They recommended the sediment filter 1 micron, is this a good idea before I open it? I have usually had 5 micron. Many thanks in advance

While this subject is being discussed, I have bought some new pre-filters. Pentair?? They recommended the sediment filter 1 micron, is this a good idea before I open it? I have usually had 5 micron. Many thanks in advance
If you do have issues with sediment 1 micron is no good as it will allow sediment through into the rest of your R/O and may cause issues or premature failure of your membranes, @spruce will give you a much more informed reply

If you do have issues with sediment 1 micron is no good as it will allow sediment through into the rest of your R/O and may cause issues or premature failure of your membranes, @spruce will give you a much more informed reply

As he has the sediment filter he could try it. They aren't expensive. But in our area a 1 micron prefilter (in my case it was a long lasting carbon block filter) became clogged with sediment long before its service life had expired. In my case I had a 5 micron sediment filter so the carbon block was catching the smaller particles the sediment filter was letting through. So in reality both filters blocked up.

So in @Den's situation he will never know unless he tries it. If he has an R/O with a pressure gauge after the prefilters then he will see the pressure gauge dropping in time. If he has a clear filter bowl then he will be able to visually see what the filter looks like without taking it out. Confirming if its the sediment filter is done by removing it from the bowl and then trying the r/o again to see if the pressure comes up. His Fiberdyne carbon block will act as a filter for the duration of the test.

Yes I had virtually a new filter fiberdyne and replaced with another brand new fiberdyne  filter honestly don't think it was a pressure thing as soon as I reinstall the old membranes it worked much better, I had done every recommendation that you and Doug instructed also took the prefilter out as only just started to use them again as we don't get any visible sediment they are like brand new when I change prfilters which is generally monthly  but because I have few sediments filters thought I would use them up. 

P.s. Yes I have a clear sediment filter bowl. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I had virtually a new filter fiberdyne and replaced with another brand new fiberdyne  filter honestly don't think it was a pressure thing as soon as I reinstall the old membranes it worked much better, I had done every recommendation that you and Doug instructed also took the prefilter out as only just started to use them again as we don't get any visible sediment they are like brand new when I change prfilters which is generally monthly  but because I have few sediments filters thought I would use them up. 

P.s. Yes I have a clear sediment filter bowl. ?

Using a 1 micron filter isn't going to affect you in the short term. But it isn't going to improve the quality of your r/o's pure output.

I have only used the 5 micron prefilters don't think I have used the 1 micron unless that what Gardiner sent me last time.

good idea about putting a pressure gauge after the prefilters ?

As he has the sediment filter he could try it. They aren't expensive. But in our area a 1 micron prefilter (in my case it was a long lasting carbon block filter) became clogged with sediment long before its service life had expired. In my case I had a 5 micron sediment filter so the carbon block was catching the smaller particles the sediment filter was letting through. So in reality both filters blocked up.

So in @Den's situation he will never know unless he tries it. If he has an R/O with a pressure gauge after the prefilters then he will see the pressure gauge dropping in time. If he has a clear filter bowl then he will be able to visually see what the filter looks like without taking it out. Confirming if its the sediment filter is done by removing it from the bowl and then trying the r/o again to see if the pressure comes up. His Fiberdyne carbon block will act as a filter for the duration of the test.

Many thanks guys. I have no problems with my ro, I have bought these for when mine need a replacement, so I will take it back and get a 5 micron, many thanks

@spruce Do you do away with the sediment filter, when you use a fiberdyne filter.? 

Many thanks. I have sediment and carbon at the moment, my holders are the blue ones, so when I previously asked about the 1 micron, I would have to unscrew to see how they are, I don’t have a pressure gauge after my pre- filters, just one before showing me the pressure of water going in, which is 55-60 psi, I don’t use a booster pump either. Just a bit of background about my system?

I think you don’t need a sediment filter, but it will protect the fibredyne if you live in a area with high sediment. Also do systems work most efficiently at 80psi so a booster would be a good idea. Mine was about £80, worth the investment. 

I cleaned the entire thing out with bleach and by hand.

Made no difference, TDs out of the 3 membranes was down to a more acceptable 16 TDs (still very poor with new membranes) but then after going through a few cms of pipe and and empty d.i vessel it goes up to 70 tds.

I gave in and stripped the r.o into down to just go through sediment, carbon them membranes and will have to be happy with 16tds, hopefully it drops over the next few days.

Think i will just upgrade to a 4040 in a few months and bin this thing.

I cleaned the entire thing out with bleach and by hand.

Made no difference, TDs out of the 3 membranes was down to a more acceptable 16 TDs (still very poor with new membranes) but then after going through a few cms of pipe and and empty d.i vessel it goes up to 70 tds.

I gave in and stripped the r.o into down to just go through sediment, carbon them membranes and will have to be happy with 16tds, hopefully it drops over the next few days.

Think i will just upgrade to a 4040 in a few months and bin this thing.
Hopefully it will go down for you as it has for other forum members,  I had the same problem as you my run for days on end and eventually had to put the old membranes back in which performed much better I'm wondering if there is a chance that there could have been faulty batch or batches and we have been the unlucky ones. 

@spruce Do you do away with the sediment filter, when you use a fiberdyne filter.? 

Many thanks. I have sediment and carbon at the moment, my holders are the blue ones, so when I previously asked about the 1 micron, I would have to unscrew to see how they are, I don’t have a pressure gauge after my pre- filters, just one before showing me the pressure of water going in, which is 55-60 psi, I don’t use a booster pump either. Just a bit of background about my system?
As per @trevor peacock's response.

Sediment filters aren't expensive. Our water has been fine so far this year so the sediment filter has lasted the same time as the carbon block. Last year it was a totally different story.

Latest Posts

Back