Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

A bit of maintenance

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Try a local plumbers merchant some do sell them but not all, I tend to keep a small stock of anything like this that we use
Thanks, upon doing a bit more looking I can get some 15mm push-fit pipe from Screwfix if this will do the job then in my case it will actually work a lot better for me using rigid hose rather than standard hose which I was going to need to purchase initially

I thought the waste to pure was about making sure the tds removed was washed away by the % of waste water.
Have you just guessed at the 50:50 to 80:20 or is there anything specific behind the numbers?
Considering your membranes have lasted 10 years you must be doing something right.
Years ago I measured the waist to pure produced into a measuring jug I have a couple of marks on the waist adjustment wheel and just adjust it to that , might be right or wrong I don’t know ?? but always done that and only just replaced the membranes, I do give them a flush every couple of days and a bit before each fill

Last edited:
Are you saying you have a van mounted R/O that produces over 10000 litres a week and has only had one membrane for 10+ years?
Might be 450lts of pure a day, days a week = 2250lts a week
There is a picy of a twin 4040in a van in the first post here:

That's why I am asking

Are you saying you have a van mounted R/O that produces over 10000 litres a week and has only had one membrane for 10+ years?
It’s twin ro so 2 membranes and yes that’s the approximate water production per week sometimes a bit less or a bit more for around 46 weeks per year for 9 years sorry not 10 as it was all fitted new in November 2014 when I bought the Renault master .

No we fill 3 vans per day from it 1,000. 650 and 600 ltr

What you've said has just spiked my interest as I have a 40/21 on order and just made me think I might need to connect 1/2" hose to JG elbow outlets on the membrane for the waste and pure but looking online it will take days for them to be delivered ?

Picture 1 of 1​

John Guest 2x 3/8-1/2 Tube Hose Stem Fittings - Picture 1 of 1

Hover to zoom

Have one to sell?
Sell it yourself

John Guest 2x 3/8"-1/2" Tube Hose Stem Fittings​

Half inch John guest hose also fits in the push fits you know? If Doug can't help I've always used Wintecs but not sure they still sell the inserts, or the half inch stuff for that matter.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, upon doing a bit more looking I can get some 15mm push-fit pipe from Screwfix if this will do the job then in my case it will actually work a lot better for me using rigid hose rather than standard hose which I was going to need to purchase initially
There is another company who do half inch John guest stuff, hose, fittings etc... I can't bring myself to recommend them to you though. I'm sure you can work out who I'm talking about.

Yes just as you have said , my waste is lower as I choose how much to dump according to tap TDS when we are working in a very high area I find 50-50 works well at home with a low TDS I can get 80-20 , hope this makes sense ?
Yeah I got ya. I'm currently running 60/40. Having just paid my £250 monthly water bill I certainly could make my money back on the upgrade.

£3k a year water bill? I'm £1200 a year Council Tax and that includes my water rates and I can use as much as I like. ?
I don't know what else to tell you here Scottish... I live in England where we are (in some cases) forced to have a water meter. We don't have the luxury of having water rates included with our council tax. I don't mind paying my way on the water bill though, we use a lot of water and make a lot of money as a result. I shouldn't worry if they ever make you move to a meter, I can't see it would cost you much.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 10.48.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 10.48.55.png
    101.8 KB · Views: 12
I don't know what else to tell you here Scottish... I live in England where we are (in some cases) forced to have a water meter. We don't have the luxury of having water rates included with our council tax. I don't mind paying my way on the water bill though, we use a lot of water and make a lot of money as a result. I shouldn't worry if they ever make you move to a meter, I can't see it would cost you much.
Maybe that's the reason folk down south are into water harvesting. Rainwater is only 009 tds so it's all starting to make sense. I just didn't think it cost that much in water rates. Thanks for the info.

There is another company who do half inch John guest stuff, hose, fittings etc... I can't bring myself to recommend them to you though. I'm sure you can work out who I'm talking about.
It's Hepo but you need a key as well, I was looking at 15mm push fittings both JG and Hepo but Doug said that they aren't suitable or just that Screwfix or Toolstation didn't sell 1/2 inch

I have found suppliers online of 1/2 inch JG fittings, I'll set up my 40/21 over the weekend and look at what I need as Doug sorted me out with 4 metres of the 1/2 inch tubing

I don't know what else to tell you here Scottish... I live in England where we are (in some cases) forced to have a water meter. We don't have the luxury of having water rates included with our council tax
We also don't have the luxury of been given £41 billion a year like Scotland does ?

But Scotland is far less populated and has no doubt a greater surplus of water

Yeah I spotted their site. Seems like a solid option. Gardeners used to sell them but they discontinued them a while back. I have so many fittings I reckon I could knock up several systems. It's just the hose I'd struggle with.
Looks to be the best, Doug has supplied me with everything I need to get me going plus I have garden hose, but I recalled on what you said months ago about switching everything to JG fittings I think that's the best option as they don't fail were as Hozelock fittings do under pressure

Latest Posts

Back