Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Removing hard water marks - could be something else?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ched999uk

I cleaned a property today (only 2nd time) and on the first occasion the owner pointed at some spotting on a window I had done, so I went back over it again and it seemed fine. This time I started on the 'problem' window and then was about to finish and go and recheck the window and owner came out and said same window is spotty again!! Unfortunately he was in a rush to go out. The window is 3 panes (2 openers and a fixed pane in the middle), it on the gable end so no leaky gutters or over flows, south facing so nasty low sun!!

It's ground floor so nice and easy access, I tried everything I had from Ubik, viakal, pink stuff and even Ciff but while it looks better it's still there.

I think it's hard water staining but I'm not sure. The weirdest thing is I also do the property next door and a single window facing the same direction also has the same marks!!

Any ideas

I have attached an image hopefully you can see the issue.
WaterMarks.jpg
Thanks for any suggestions

Is it definitely on the outside? I had a job that looked very similar to that and it was in-between the dubble glassing.

If it's on the outside we use a cream clenser and really go to town on it, other than that bleach, or some other chemicals. @Part Timer knows a lot more about this than me.

I cleaned a property today (only 2nd time) and on the first occasion the owner pointed at some spotting on a window I had done, so I went back over it again and it seemed fine. This time I started on the 'problem' window and then was about to finish and go and recheck the window and owner came out and said same window is spotty again!! Unfortunately he was in a rush to go out. The window is 3 panes (2 openers and a fixed pane in the middle), it on the gable end so no leaky gutters or over flows, south facing so nasty low sun!!

It's ground floor so nice and easy access, I tried everything I had from Ubik, viakal, pink stuff and even Ciff but while it looks better it's still there.

I think it's hard water staining but I'm not sure. The weirdest thing is I also do the property next door and a single window facing the same direction also has the same marks!!

Any ideas

I have attached an image hopefully you can see the issue.
View attachment 27473
Thanks for any suggestions
I have a couple like this and we have very soft water down hear I think it’s lime come out of the cement by the lintel, or wall that’s what I put it down to , I had new Windows put in my house about 5 years ago and my kitchen window look exactly like your picture , and that’s definitely lime out of the cement render .

Is it definitely on the outside? I had a job that looked very similar to that and it was in-between the dubble glassing.

If it's on the outside we use a cream clenser and really go to town on it, other than that bleach, or some other chemicals. @Part Timer knows a lot more about this than me.
Noticed it a lot on some of the

noticed it a lot on the double glazed houses i do too … drives ya mad

I'm no chemical expert, if Viakal doesn't shift it it's more likely to be an acid or alkali that has etched it

Yes unfortunately on the outside - I can sort of feel it.
Cream cleaner did seem to make it better but not completely remove it.
Cheers

Yes unfortunately on the outside - I can sort of feel it.
Cream cleaner did seem to make it better but not completely remove it.
Cheers
It may be best clothing the window for the next few months. IE clean as normal. Then after a few mins cloth it dry with a scrim or microfiber cloth. It will probably look better.

Ye looks like water staining. You see it more on gable ends as they are more exposed and is usually caused by the run off from cement and mortar above. Unger rubout should remove it but be prepared for it to take a while as it’s like t-cutting paintwork on a car so you have to be careful not to scratch the glass by using a soft cloth and it may also take a few applications to completely remove the staining of its deep. A bit above and beyond for just a regular window clean so make sure you charge accordingly if the customer really wants it doing although I would try and swerve it.

I’ve got this on a few jobs we do and they all are rendered on the outside! as people have said it’s defo some kind of run out from the walls that stains the glass it’s a nightmare.

I had a few that look similar to this recently on pre-handover new builds where the developer has had a sprinkler running for hours on end to water the new turf. They never gave any thought to the mess it made to the windows. Combination of Unger rub out (and a going over with a 6” Unger glass scraper, these were patio doors, that thing has saved a load of time). Got it all off but expect to be there a little while!

Fun story, did 6 new builds like that, got them spot on, then realised the sprinklers were on 4 hour automatic intervals as they came back on and ruined them again.. Doubled the invoice and buggered off home.

Latest Posts

Back