Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin Shortage In The Uk

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Its a 450 gpd think its pure freedom i backflush every day for 15 minutes change the pre filters every 4 weeks on the dot (even if the paper filters not brown) i put the booster after the pre filters even though was told to just stick it before pre. My pal a chemical engineer put it together when i got it. He also stated when i change the pre filters disconnect from the membraines and let them run for an hour everytime.
Now i just do it religiously and thats how it sits. It does sometime goes to 003 ppm and drops down later. Your gonna think im telling porkys when i tell you ive seen it at 001 before but its true.
Maybe im just lucky or my pals good at his stuff.
It produces enough for my van 500ltrs and my lads van 400ltrs 5 days. By friday though the ibc only has about 150 ltrs left in.

I do apologise though as its 296 at tap not 396. Typed using phone and didnt realise id hit 3 instead of 2 [emoji54]

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Its a 450 gpd think its pure freedom i backflush every day for 15 minutes change the pre filters every 4 weeks on the dot (even if the paper filters not brown) i put the booster after the pre filters even though was told to just stick it before pre. My pal a chemical engineer put it together when i got it. He also stated when i change the pre filters disconnect from the membraines and let them run for an hour everytime.
Now i just do it religiously and thats how it sits. It does sometime goes to 003 ppm and drops down later. Your gonna think im telling porkys when i tell you ive seen it at 001 before but its true.
Maybe im just lucky or my pals good at his stuff.
It produces enough for my van 500ltrs and my lads van 400ltrs 5 days. By friday though the ibc only has about 150 ltrs left in.

I do apologise though as its 296 at tap not 396. Typed using phone and didnt realise id hit 3 instead of 2 [emoji54]

When you say booster what do you mean. I have a tap TDs of 367 and comes out of RO at 19 what's the best way to bring this lower?

A good working r/o membrane removes 98% of the dissolved solids in the water. The remaining 2% will be particles that are so small that they pass through the pores of the membrane material. If they pass through the first membrane then they are going to pass through the second membrane as well.

So I don't believe putting your pure through a second cycle will change anything of consequence.
Interesting, I read that the way the membrane works is that the holes are just big enough for a water molecule to fit through but nothing bigger in theory.

Obviously the membranes aren't perfect at that tiny scale as a small percentage of larger molecules squeeze through imperfections but I imagine the majority of the surface of the membrane is the gauge it is supposed to be. So even the smallest of particles shouldn't be too fine for it to stop, maybe with a higher percentage passing through than bigger molecules though.

If that is the case then the double RO should work. But if it's the case that the membranes just aren't fine enough then you'd be right, it wouldn't matter how many RO's you used.

Only way to know for sure would be to try it I suppose.

Lol the in probe sits were the membraines all meet into one line before the resin. The out probe is after the resin..

Cmon.. lol.. im no chemical engineer but even i know that in line means going into vessel (so monitoring all before vessel) and out line means coming out of vessel

Interesting, I read that the way the membrane works is that the holes are just big enough for a water molecule to fit through but nothing bigger in theory.

Obviously the membranes aren't perfect at that tiny scale as a small percentage of larger molecules squeeze through imperfections but I imagine the majority of the surface of the membrane is the gauge it is supposed to be. So even the smallest of particles shouldn't be too fine for it to stop, maybe with a higher percentage passing through than bigger molecules though.

If that is the case then the double RO should work. But if it's the case that the membranes just aren't fine enough then you'd be right, it wouldn't matter how many RO's you used.

Only way to know for sure would be to try it I suppose.

Someone on another forum once tried this if my memory serves me. It was many years ago now. I can't remember exactly what he did but according to his findings it didn't work. It wasn't something that grabbed full attention so the details have been lost in the sinkhole where my brain used to be. Maybe it wasn't done right, maybe his experiment was 'flawed', I don't know. I'm sorry, I just can't remember the details.

Of course, if you have a fully working second r/o, or even an r/o housing and membrane then the experiment could be setup using a booster pump to draw water from a container with just previously processed pure still with its residual tds, then it might be worth a try. 

I'm sure there will be a slight improvement if the first membrane isn't working as efficiently as it should.

Stoopid question @doug atkinson @spruce if i have 3 150gpd membranes on my ro and the water board have recently lowered my water pressure will using less membranes make a difference ?

They are set up so all 3 split off the same input hose and then converge back to 1 for waste and pure rather than 1 into the next one then the next one if you know what i mean (in series)

I doubt the pressure changes although the 1 input from the prefilters is split 3 ways but thought i would see what others think

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought thats how they should run Dave. Split not in series as surely that would perish membraines 1 & 2 way before the last one and also slow flow rate.
Fella that set mine up measured each bit of feed line so the are equal going in as he reckons it definitely makes a difference on purity and lifespan.

I thought thats how they should run Dave. Split not in series as surely that would perish membraines 1 & 2 way before the last one and also slow flow rate.
Fella that set mine up measured each bit of feed line so the are equal going in as he reckons it definitely makes a difference on purity and lifespan.

Mine is set up like that from when i built it but some suppliers do it in series for some reason

Mine is built from an old ro but taken apart and off the bracket and put together how i want it

Stoopid question @doug atkinson @spruce if i have 3 150gpd membranes on my ro and the water board have recently lowered my water pressure will using less membranes make a difference ?

They are set up so all 3 split off the same input hose and then converge back to 1 for waste and pure rather than 1 into the next one then the next one if you know what i mean (in series)

I doubt the pressure changes although the 1 input from the prefilters is split 3 ways but thought i would see what others think

No sorry Dave, it won't make any difference as you have more than enough supply of water through the tap to 'feed' the r/o's demand. Those Ro-Man type r/o's require very little water.

If the reduced pressure is going to be permanent, then you will have to invest in a small booster pump.

No sorry Dave, it won't make any difference as you have more than enough supply of water through the tap to 'feed' the r/o's demand. Those Ro-Man type r/o's require very little water.

If the reduced pressure is going to be permanent, then you will have to invest in a small booster pump.
I'm ordering one next week mate

Been waiting to see if they up the pressure again for winter but i think the damage was done in summer when the fixed a burst mains up the road

Never been the same since

I'm wondering if i can find the tap they used and open it back up fully

e11aa558601fdbfbeff4cff6801fd54f.jpg
bc502a4dc2f014adf5c4435d7c48efb0.jpg

Thought i would take another pic so you can see tds going in and out so you will see I've not got the probes wrong way around.
And yes creeped upto 003 but reckon it will be back to 002 when i go in to flush later today.

a

@spruce

Water board rang me back today and told me I cannot get a sewarage discount as the waste water goes down the drain to the sewerage works. I told them what u had said about being 2 systems and they said no everything gutters and all is fully connected to the sewers. 

Can't understand how some are getting this discount but I cant. Confused 

I then said what if it doesn't go down the drain, she said you can get relief if it didn't go down so may have to come up with another story as to what is happening to the water.

Think k could tell them all the water is being used to clean windows and therefore not is going down the drain ?

Thanks

Latest Posts

Back