Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Resin Shortage In The Uk

WCF

Help Support WCF:

After reading this I'm contemplating setting up an R/O just in case.
My tap tds is around 47 ppm sometimes it may reach 50 .
I'm on a water meter with southwest water so am a little worried about the extra cost of production but just wondered what sort of tds I would be looking at coming out of the R/O if anyone has any idea, maybe@spruce

Sent using the Window Cleaning Forums mobile app

Ok spruce.

My resin was lasting me 6 months with a Tap TDs of around 150

BUT i did no maintenance on the R.O, forgot to flush it and didn't change filters etc so although my TDs was about 003 to start with when I changed the membrane and filters after a year lol it had crept up to 21ppm. Still it never crossed my mind as it was still cheap.

Any distributor or manufacturer has to abide by strict EU regulations and Tulsion is covered by this as we had to do loads of paperwork. I do not know if Aldex or any of the cheap resins coming from China are compliant.

With regards to the black resin sold it is pretty simple and this has come direct from a Government department - "If the product has been branded in a way that deceives the buyer into thinking they have bought a different product or one of a higher quality, then this might be a case of fraud or fake goods and would potentially be an issue for trading standards."

Tulsion cannot get involved as it is not their product.

It would have to come from a customer who has actually purchased the product and feels they have been sold it under false impression. This also includes the re-sellers as they have a duty of care to their customers under the trade and descriptions act.

Adam....it's roughly £2.92 per 1000 litres round here all in and a 1000 litres will get you around 400/450 pure.

So for somebody doing 5 days a week it's £15 per week or £60 per month extra on your bill.

But don't forget that using a double Di you still have to pay for the water you produce so double Di user would be paying around £6 per week/£24 per month plus resin costs.....surprised you live so close but have that TDS it's around 90/95 round here.

Did some work in Morley last week and was explaining to new customer how it works and tested her water and it was only 70.

Just a heads up what is causing this problem the manufacturers that produce the raw material (beads) have cut their capacity which has also increased prices. So demand is above capacity which is a global problem hence the shortages you are seeing.

Just a heads up what is causing this problem the manufacturers that produce the raw material (beads) have cut their capacity which has also increased prices. So demand is above capacity which is a global problem hence the shortages you are seeing.
So, the raw material manufacturer has cut production to increase price and improve profit, meaning people at the bottom suffer. Typical corporate decision making :banghead3:

But don't forget that using a double Di you still have to pay for the water you produce so double Di user would be paying around £6 per week/£24 per month plus resin costs.....surprised you live so close but have that TDS it's around 90/95 round here.

Did some work in Morley last week and was explaining to new customer how it works and tested her water and it was only 70.

Probably just easier to use D.I only then. 

Will have to work out which is cheaper, either pay more for resin or pay more for water, can't win

Ok spruce.

My resin was lasting me 6 months with a Tap TDs of around 150

BUT i did no maintenance on the R.O, forgot to flush it and didn't change filters etc so although my TDs was about 003 to start with when I changed the membrane and filters after a year lol it had crept up to 21ppm. Still it never crossed my mind as it was still cheap.
Prefilter maintenance is very important when it comes to your r/o. The main killer of membranes is chlorine and the carbon filter has a limited life span. Once it service life is finished it will no longer remove chlorine from the water. The chlorinated water then damages the membranes, hence an increase in your pure tds.

You have a low initial tds was your water isn't hard. As I've said before, I'm not the best example when it comes to flushing - the r/o gets treated about once a month. Our water isn't hard either. However, if your are in a hard water area, flushing is very important.

My tds is 340 and the ro gets flushed every time i turn it off for the amount of time it takes to walk down the garden and turn the tap off but since i killed my last membranes it also gets 20 minutes flush every weekend

After reading this I'm contemplating setting up an R/O just in case.
My tap tds is around 47 ppm sometimes it may reach 50 .
I'm on a water meter with southwest water so am a little worried about the extra cost of production but just wondered what sort of tds I would be looking at coming out of the R/O if anyone has any idea, maybe@spruce

I have no experience with what you are asking, so maybe @doug atkinson could enlighten you regarding this.

When our tap water is 80 our 4040 still removes the impurites from the water. TDS of pure before r/o is 1ppm.

So I have to conclude that yours will do the same. My reasoning is that your 47ppm will be made up of the same size dissolved solids as someone in a harder water area. Your membrane will remove those larger size solids, but the minute ones will pass through the pores of the membrane just the same.

However, I read once that when your tap water gets down to a very low initial tds the membrane doesn't work any more. I've never seen that from a supplier or manufacturer, it was heresay, hence asking Doug for his input. 

I have no experience with what you are asking, so maybe @doug atkinson could enlighten you regarding this.

When our tap water is 80 our 4040 still removes the impurites from the water. TDS of pure before r/o is 1ppm.

So I have to conclude that yours will do the same. My reasoning is that your 47ppm will be made up of the same size dissolved solids as someone in a harder water area. Your membrane will remove those larger size solids, but the minute ones will pass through the pores of the membrane just the same.

However, I read once that when your tap water gets down to a very low initial tds the membrane doesn't work any more. I've never seen that from a supplier or manufacturer, it was heresay, hence asking Doug for his input. 

At 47 ppm if your pressure is okay you may even get 000 ppm or around 001/2 ppm.

My tds is 340 and the ro gets flushed every time i turn it off for the amount of time it takes to walk down the garden and turn the tap off but since i killed my last membranes it also gets 20 minutes flush every weekend
I have a a high tds but have totally forgotten about flushing (not done it since purchase.
What do I practically need to do I can see the flush switch. Just want to do it right. Thanks in advance [emoji3]

Close off the hose that produces pure and open the flush valve fully and that is it

Normally flush about 20 minutes each week but i would give it an hour just to make sure you have got all the  :1f4a9: out

Last edited by a moderator:
Back