Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

SMASHING IT!!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

It doesn't matter how he did it to be honest, or what equity or whatever. He went out and did it. 

To be frank, spending money and leaflets is the easiest part.  Managing 12+ people and thousands upon thousands of customers and having it all stable and reliable is the real skill.

Hell, he just needs to get someone in to replace himself (pay him 50k a year)  and he could draw 100k a year for himself without doing an absolute single thing. freedom in financial terms. 

Although that's the biggest problem, having no weekly commitment to get up for ??

be intresting to know what there turn over of staff is like. most people seem drawn to window cleaning because thay wanted to be there own bosses and build somthing for themselfs.  or thay were in a corner in life and needed a low cost way of making extra money. is this kind of operation really going attract good windys who want to make a life of it being employed by another. if thay are good at what thay do whats stopping them from generating there own round over time. having there own will always pay much better than working for someone else doing it.  when ur an employee working for 8 to 10 pound an hour in life alot of what really matters is who your having to rub shoulders with all day. how decent is ur boss.  are thay someone that knows how to manage people, that can respect there workers. manageing people is an art form few people are good at. if thay cant keep hold of people that are good at the job and have to rehire unskilled people thay will lose to much repeat customers to offen.  not saying this is going to happen, just that its something that can happen to operations if the people running it are lacking the right skills in right places thay may never have had to be skilled in befor. 

It might surprise people on here that there are people in the world that have no interest in running their own business. They want to be employed. And if they can make 25k+ a year for scrubbing windows (very low stress job, no office politics, no annoying colleagues) then yes  plenty would be happy to do it. 

I get calls quite often from people asking for a job. I've never advertised.

The lad has done very well for him self, he has his own office staff and is setup properly , doing that many leaflets requires a big outlay ££ but it surely has already paid of for him lol

The lad has done very well for him self, he has his own office staff and is setup properly , doing that many leaflets requires a big outlay ££ but it surely has already paid of for him lol

He did an update to let everyone know how it went I’ll see if I can find it 

I hope he’s not talking ? and he is actually doing as good as he makes out 

E86ABC32-4823-483A-8724-F205E77130BB.png

217D4150-F687-49D3-8F9B-C9A94D0C4F99.png

I hope he’s not talking ? and he is actually doing as good as he makes out 

View attachment 16884

View attachment 16885
Of course hes doing good,, they serve over 6,000 customers ! i checked his facebook page out and hes not a billy bullshitter lol

What this guy is doing is what i hope to achieve and he gives me so much extra confidence, massive respect for the lad :)

Leaflets are good. I have had jobs come from leaflets delivered over a year ago. Some people store them not just throw them in the bin.

I expect he has a good training plan for all his new staff so they deliver the service he expects. 

You have to give him credit, takes balls, stress galore & serious hard work to do something like that. In an area where big nationals swamp work up I say fair play to him. Whilst I wouldn't advertise success like he seems to do & is fairly open about figures etc fair play to him. I can only give a tip of the hat to anybody who is successful in our game as it can be a tough slog. I would commend anybody on here that had took the leap to employ staff and has got a few vans on road. Remains to be seen if he has bitten off more than he can chew or maybe he wants to earn big and fast... time will tell.

For me personally, I'm not interested in getting rich. All I want is to earn good money, go on a nice holiday every now and again & if I get ill or injured... not have to worry about my work falling apart. If I can do that, I will be a happy man.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread just sums up whats great about this trade

if you want to earn a bit of pocket money you can,

if you want to graft you can earn a considerable amount more

if you want to earn a lot then you can but not easily!!

A supplier was telling me a while back how they fitted out 10 vans only for a finance company call them 10 months later asking if they wanted to buy all the systems back as the vans were going for auction!!!

its also full of a lot of bullshitters and not many people admit the rough times, which I think can sometimes lead people to think they are failing and doesnt help with the depression/anxiety side of it all

Lee if you read this, DM me your email address

This thread just sums up whats great about this trade

if you want to earn a bit of pocket money you can,

if you want to graft you can earn a considerable amount more

if you want to earn a lot then you can but not easily!!

A supplier was telling me a while back how they fitted out 10 vans only for a finance company call them 10 months later asking if they wanted to buy all the systems back as the vans were going for auction!!!

its also full of a lot of bullshitters and not many people admit the rough times, which I think can sometimes lead people to think they are failing and doesnt help with the depression/anxiety side of it all

Lee if you read this, DM me your email address
good point about the bullshetters.  building trades terrible for that I found.  you get one guy shouting about how he made 160 quid of a job in a day ect then others start getting jelouse and start pretending thay made 250.  truth is even if thay did make that in one day,  what thay keep quiyet about is the two days or work that got canseled the other week and thay earned nothing. then the 800 pound job of work thay did that thay never got paid for. the job thay under quoted for that ran a day and half over time which cut there earnings by the day in half. the 300 quids worth of power tools that got nicked on a site the month before.  reality is even if thay did make 250 in a day it only makes up all the lost money from all the other days thay lost out in.  

Leaflets are good. I have had jobs come from leaflets delivered over a year ago. Some people store them not just throw them in the bin.

I expect he has a good training plan for all his new staff so they deliver the service he expects. 
I’m considering doing a leaflet drop. What kind of success rate have you had from it?

Never really measured it. It works though and if you have the time or the resources to have someone out doing it for you do it.

My leaflets offered window cleaning, fascia soffit cleaning, conny cleaning, gutter clearance, pressure wash, carpet cleaning. 

So I offered a fair few services via the leaflet which helps  lot. Most people need something at some stage of the year.

I did a sfg and garage door clean today and the woman was over the moon. First time they had been cleaned in 19yrs cause that's the age of the house. I should have leafletted the whole estate but I'm too busy to fit anyone in. I did hand the woman 5 leaflets to hand out to anyone who is interested. The job was 10miles away and I got it through Checkatrade and on Friday I have another one to do 10miles away in the opposite direction also through Checkatrade. I'm delighted with joining Checkatrade, its paid for itself in jig time.

I did a sfg and garage door clean today and the woman was over the moon. First time they had been cleaned in 19yrs cause that's the age of the house. I should have leafletted the whole estate but I'm too busy to fit anyone in. I did hand the woman 5 leaflets to hand out to anyone who is interested. The job was 10miles away and I got it through Checkatrade and on Friday I have another one to do 10miles away in the opposite direction also through Checkatrade. I'm delighted with joining Checkatrade, its paid for itself in jig time.
Aye checkatrade used to be worth while in fife but then it fell off google here and they are offering us all sorts to join

Never really measured it. It works though and if you have the time or the resources to have someone out doing it for you do it.

My leaflets offered window cleaning, fascia soffit cleaning, conny cleaning, gutter clearance, pressure wash, carpet cleaning. 

So I offered a fair few services via the leaflet which helps  lot. Most people need something at some stage of the year.
We have leafleted a lot and never had much luck with it be interested to see your leaflet and process and compare on dm as we offer the same services..

We have leafleted a lot and never had much luck with it be interested to see your leaflet and process and compare on dm as we offer the same services..
Iv personaly posted 700 leaflets so far, used a high quality card with basic details of service, with a business card also attached.  bulk of them to standard kind of houses, two three and four beds, 80's 90's estates plus one new estate. then load of terrace streets. then to some 1930s to 50s style bay window streets.  then some to mid high end area 4 to 5 bed detatched house types. and lastly droped in a high end country village. 400 grand up wards cotswold stone type village with long drives, old country houses and custom built new houses.   

70 percent droped in small to mid range,  30 percent droped between the larger 4,5 bed house areas and the high end village.   wanted to try abit of different areas just to see. so far I have had zero replies....lol  its disapointing but I knew it could be what happens. I was hoping to get the 2 percent thing to happen or maybe i might get lucky and land 4 or 5 calls, maybe even land a big one from it....

I have 300 to post still. but desided to add some more information to the leaflets befor posting these in the hope that maybe its lacking in some detail that might encorage people to call. what im liking is that it hasnt made me feel like giving up,  its made me simple want to try again only revaluating how to go about it.  to be honest from the begining I felt good old fashioned door knocking was the only way to really get it rolling, like many have said on here too. But like alot of people I was hoping to find away round it as its not somthing iv ever don befor and its a hole new thing to get skilled on and overcome. first one will be the hardest it will only get easier after that. 

Multiple times ive had lads drop off leaflets and we never seem to directly pick up from them,

ie nobody calls and says I have had this leaflet!

at a guess probs 5000 leaflets again tried door knocking new estates on a nice day and got no luck, at a guess this would be around 500 houses

I dont understand how traditional canvassors make it work,

this doesnt directly correlate to doing well, especially when things start to go wrong

Multiple times ive had lads drop off leaflets and we never seem to directly pick up from them,

ie nobody calls and says I have had this leaflet!

at a guess probs 5000 leaflets again tried door knocking new estates on a nice day and got no luck, at a guess this would be around 500 houses

I dont understand how traditional canvassors make it work,

this doesnt directly correlate to doing well, especially when things start to go wrong
Clearly is doing well if he has the facility of 10+ vans on his fleet... and what do u mean things start to go wrong ? Please elaborate ?

And leaflets do work... but only if u drop them yourself ?  

Back