Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

SMASHING IT!!!!

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Clearly is doing well if he has the facility of 10+ vans on his fleet... and what do u mean things start to go wrong ? Please elaborate ?

And leaflets do work... but only if u drop them yourself ?  

Anyone can lease 10 vans.

It's making it worthwhile that is difficult

Lee doesn't lease his vans he owns them.

He was already doing well for him self long before he sold his house.He wanted to grow further but in a shorter period and that kind of growth needs a large investment.You could go to a bank and try and borrow £250k but your house will have to go up against it anyway on top of paying hefty business banking interest on the loan.As mad as it may seam to some it was a clever choice and a brave one as well which he clearly believes in and is now coming good.

Clearly is doing well if he has the facility of 10+ vans on his fleet... and what do u mean things start to go wrong ? Please elaborate ?

And leaflets do work... but only if u drop them yourself ?  

at a guess and a multiple of us

10 vans is 20 lads plus 2 spare to cover holiday and illness that would be a permanent juggling act

22 lads

you would need 1 person mopping up all the shite, (complaints random bits and bobs, quotes etc etc)

maybe a supervisor managing it all

then back end you need

2-5 people managing all of that unless he has automated it to perfection

28 people monthly overheads would be a minimum of £70k as a rough guess which means you need to do £90k a month before you see any profit then he would have his growth costs, that have enabled him to get to this stage this quickly which at a loose guess would be around £200k

(hence why he sold his house) borrowing at that level not asset backed would be 10%+ on a LTD)

just a guess but that then means he is managing a business with a turnover around £1m and all of the stress that goes with that,

Fair play to him would love to meet him for a chin wag

at a guess and a multiple of us

10 vans is 20 lads plus 2 spare to cover holiday and illness that would be a permanent juggling act

22 lads

you would need 1 person mopping up all the shite, (complaints random bits and bobs, quotes etc etc)

maybe a supervisor managing it all

then back end you need

2-5 people managing all of that unless he has automated it to perfection

28 people monthly overheads would be a minimum of £70k as a rough guess which means you need to do £90k a month before you see any profit then he would have his growth costs, that have enabled him to get to this stage this quickly which at a loose guess would be around £200k

(hence why he sold his house) borrowing at that level not asset backed would be 10%+ on a LTD)

just a guess but that then means he is managing a business with a turnover around £1m and all of the stress that goes with that,

Fair play to him would love to meet him for a chin wag
He has 1 man in 1 van. So more  like 15 people, at a turnover of 70k a month 

Last edited by a moderator:
Check his Google reviews, clearly to me things aren't all rosy and no doubt he will be as with all businesses have an ongoing juggling act, which will be way more stressful, only time will tell. 

Yeah when you look at the reviews it's not good. Been like that for sometime looking at it. 

I bet a lot of it comes down to lack of staff training/ inexperienced operators.

Check his Google reviews, clearly to me things aren't all rosy and no doubt he will be as with all businesses have an ongoing juggling act, which will be way more stressful, only time will tell. 
I noticed those reviews mate. One trip to people per hour and he would rid himself of that 2.3% average lol still i am sure he has other things to worry about but those reviews would kill me haha

I noticed those reviews mate. One trip to people per hour and he would rid himself of that 2.3% average lol still i am sure he has other things to worry about but those reviews would kill me haha

One bad review has done my head in, well I say bad I dropped a job and made them aware, but they were miffed I was advertising for work so said so in their review although I still got a 5 star rating from them so not all bad ?

Half a dozen or so bad reviews on 5000-6000 regular customers a month over 10 years isn't that bad although not good some will just moan for the sake of it.Take the most recent negative review he has they expected the con roof included with the house price and when it wasn't they leave a bad review and want to look for someone cheaper.Some will just moan in the hope of a freebie.

On the flip side there are lads near me with glowing 5 star ratings all filled out by family members and friends they probably don't even clean.Two separate lads in my town have pictures of commercial jobs they have never cleaned on their websites.

Half a dozen or so bad reviews on 5000-6000 regular customers a month over 10 years isn't that bad although not good some will just moan for the sake of it.Take the most recent negative review he has they expected the con roof included with the house price and when it wasn't they leave a bad review and want to look for someone cheaper.Some will just moan in the hope of a freebie.

On the flip side there are lads near me with glowing 5 star ratings all filled out by family members and friends they probably don't even clean.Two separate lads in my town have pictures of commercial jobs they have never cleaned on their websites.
Very true, low % of annoyed people in comparison to the people that will have been through his round. I've spoke to Lee before surprisingly laid back guy  for such a big biz

I reckon he is more than likely 85k upwards per 1 man van. 

Even after vat, staff, running costs, huge advertising & premises are taken out of the equation he will be getting a massive wedge for it and hes earned it. It doesnt matter how its done, its the fact that it gets done. It doesnt matter if he could have done it cheaper, his model has worked for him. Horses for courses and all that.

Reviews are sometimes a bit of a joke as you can have competition getting people to try to tarnish your reputation, and the obvious customers who try to mug you off and when they cant get away with not paying etc they leave you a bad review. Reviews definitely arent always a real reflection

I reckon he is more than likely 85k upwards per 1 man van. 

Even after vat, staff, running costs, huge advertising & premises are taken out of the equation he will be getting a massive wedge for it and hes earned it. It doesnt matter how its done, its the fact that it gets done. It doesnt matter if he could have done it cheaper, his model has worked for him. Horses for courses and all that.

Reviews are sometimes a bit of a joke as you can have competition getting people to try to tarnish your reputation, and the obvious customers who try to mug you off and when they cant get away with not paying etc they leave you a bad review. Reviews definitely arent always a real reflection
one employee generating 85k Gross or net,  lol thats one person generating £360 per day if you mean net the figure will more than likely be £220-£270 Gross imo

you dont get to that size and stay that size by being splash and dash, so they must offer value, granted wages will be higher

but staff only work 47 weeks a year and dont put in 100% everyday like an owner does,

Sorry but get out of the clouds, theres not a chance,

But I totally agree to everything else fair play to him.

Sorry Im not in the clouds. £330 - £360 turnover a day is do-able on a 1 man van. All depends on your work.

And yes I agree, splash and dash isnt the way to go. Still to earn what iv said a day doesnt mean splash and dash

That's certainly doable on your own, whether an employee will graft enough to do that much is another matter.
Well that is the difficult part. But if you are able to do that amount per day then its possible for an employee to do it. And they will, as long as you find the right people, give enough incentive for them to work hard it will happen. The only other thing that it boils down to is pricing. If the pricing isnt right it wont happen.

Maybe its difficult in some parts of the country due to average prices, i understand this. However in plenty of areas across the country you will get those prices.

An employee or whoever only needs to do 16 jobs per day if your average price is £20 = £320.

2 jobs per hour isnt killing your staff in terms of workload (8 hours)

Anyone can lease 10 vans.

It's making it worthwhile that is difficult

But to be leasing 10 vans you must be making plenty of £££ to be paying that rent.

There is a few companies(not window cleaners but builders etc) who have a lot of vans on lease but if it works for them then it works, aslong as there making money and profiting then thats all that matters

Some people who lease vans would never buy a van again.

i have 4 vans (1 is on lease)  , i will always have 1 van on lease, why?

Because if i need to go out of town etc i would take the lease van, this takes the strain off my other vans if that makes sense.

I look after my own vans and abuse the lease van if that makes sense ?

Back