Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Soft washing a roof

WCF

Help Support WCF:

What's the going rate for scrape and spray. Price per m2? 
We don’t charge by the sm2 I look at the total area and see what kit will be required,scaffolding,scaffold tower , amount of bio , time taken ,do  we have to remove moss from site , is it a heavy or light infestation etc prices start from £650 + expenses not Intrested in doing any roof for less . 

There's quite a few people having roofs jet washed by me and they are paying 1500 for a 4 bed detached. One of my customers paid 1100 to have just half the roof done!

I find the problem with add ons like roofs etc, I think of how much you can earn on windows on a decent day and you need to match that minimum. Hope that makes sence 

There's quite a few people having roofs jet washed by me and they are paying 1500 for a 4 bed detached. One of my customers paid 1100 to have just half the roof done!

I find the problem with add ons like roofs etc, I think of how much you can earn on windows on a decent day and you need to match that minimum. Hope that makes sence 
Yes I quite agree , roof cleaning where I am isn’t done that much , I have seen several roofs ruined by pressure washing , removing all the surface on the concrete tiles and making them porous , that resulted in the types having to be replaced  , the last couple of years in the summer months a group of pikeys have been going round walking over any roof pressure washing it and then spraying it with a coloured paint/ sealer to be fair it does  look good after but the paint  spray goes on everything!,,  we only offer scraping and either hypo wash or bio application, we have done a couple of shop roofs in a conservation area and had to jump through a few hoops but they do look good now but took about 6 months to look what I would class as acceptable that was with bio . 

I have heard all the horror stories and seen the results on PW and painting. One mob used oil based paint on front and emulsion on the back then the company got taken over and went bust. Then I seen a roof done correctly because she knew the guys cleaning and painting it. Honestly, 6yrs later and its still looking brand new because they used the correct paint and number of coats. If something is done right then it will last a long time. The cowboys can tar a whole industry, that's why it's so important to gain trust with our customers.

I can make £300 with my feet firmly on the ground, Just saying ?‍♂️
Aye, i'm beginning to notice my worth now, its only taken 54yrs. ?

What's the going rate for scrape and spray. Price per m2? 
£10-15m2 depending on amount of moss, chem used, how many times I need to move the scaffolding etc... a standard up & over I generally charge £550-£600 and I still think that’s cheap considering how much of a graft it is 

Would there be any benefit in bioside first,waiting until it starts to fall of (i don't know how long  that would be) and then scraping.You know would the scraping be easyer/faster?

Diamond - imho somewhat 10-30% maybe - lack of adhesion being the main benefit (but moss comes away easily usually anyhow) - if you left it a while... and we had heavy weather and depending on the efficacy of the bio you used and concentration etc it could make a significant dent - but I suspect you might need to respray areas where the biomass of the moss (amount) stopped the bio reaching the growth underneath...worth an experiment but expect to respray and possibly then rescrape/reclear patches also you risk the dark staining on the roofing not being cleaned in a uniform way - as the bio (which will clear the staining - depending on what you use) will not be able to reach the roof under the moss… so may even mean more work...

The majority experienced roof cleaners scrape/spray/walk away   ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Would there be any benefit in bioside first,waiting until it starts to fall of (i don't know how long  that would be) and then scraping.You know would the scraping be easyer/faster?
moss is classified as a plant so you would need your PA1 & PA6 to do it legally (sorry to be that guy) also it’ll turn to sludge and block gutters + downpipes 

? Nice one Doddy - wasn't aware of that makes sense biocides are classified as pesticides...looks like the training is straight forward is there a trainer com that you recommed ? Can the it be done online?

Oh that's cute so you reason 'cos most of the moss is scraped you're not spraying any plants....hmmm what I've just read it's the spraying the biocide (not what it goes on) is what requires the PA1?? ...right another thing to research ?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pjj a mate of mine has a roof with tiles very similar to the pic pulled of the net below and it's heavily covered in moss, I ma guessing that certain roofs and types of tiles need to treated cautiously to avoid damage when scraping or potentially loosening tiles if moss has got right in-between some of the tiles. 

resized-wilkie-heritage-roof-tiles.jpg

@Pjj a mate of mine has a roof with tiles very similar to the pic pulled of the net below and it's heavily covered in moss, I ma guessing that certain roofs and types of tiles need to treated cautiously to avoid damage when scraping or potentially loosening tiles if moss has got right in-between some of the tiles. 

View attachment 19508
Hummmm yes they are a rosemary type of tile a bit delicate , and don’t respond well to scraping as they are so small and all edges , a stiff brush works better on them then rinse down with garden hose as they hold tons of dirt on all the joints , then apply bio and wait for  results ???

Back