Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Solar Panel Cleaning Training Course To Be Held 11th July 2015

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Status
Not open for further replies.
A renewable course sounds interesting as like you say plenty of small firms have disappeared and these systems need maintenance for sure

I was thinking of doing a renewables course. Nearly all the firms that have installed solar, bio mass etc, no longer exist.Who will service these systems?

Half of them have been sold shite they don't need with a promise to bring in twice what they'll get. Hey ho, that's capitalism.

I'm waiting for all the inverters to 'pop'. They'll be the first thing to go.

Sorry to hear about your missus and glad she is ok. :thumbsup:

She just called from upstairs by cell phone, to confirm we had adequate stock cubes.

We do.

I've got weeks of this ahead.

Bless as your missus is obviously on the mend then /emoticons/biggrin.png

She fine. Not tip top.

Let's not divert the thread.but thanks man.

Shall I intervene with something vaguely antagonistic? Get it back on track?

Hows the day job going green? /emoticons/biggrin.png[media]

That's ******* great. Stitches!!!!

Bob Marley would be spinning.....at least he'd have the wailers to help him though.

I could not find a one-man band singing all by myself /emoticons/biggrin.png

iv spoken with Ed at Narec today you phoned them a month ago for them to endorse your course and they said NO then you arsked them how you could get your course credited. And he was rather surprised to here his guys were going on your course, i can tell you now that aint happening. and i think they are looking in to it further, so more bull **** from you.
@Andy, not only can you not spell, you also cannot read apparently. I said that Narec were 'LIKELY to attend our next training course.' That is very different to your evident inference to them on the phone that 'his guys are going on the course.'

This is why I am always EXTREMELY careful about what I write on open forums. Wording is crucial because it can be referred back to many weeks or years after the event.

Even though I may feel like it inside, I never allow myself to boil over, lie or take things personally. This is an open forum, not only to it's members, but to the world. It is not my face that is my avatar, it is my company logo. What I say on here either enhances or detracts from my company's reputation. Perhaps more on here could do with remembering the same thing when they use foul language. Any of our clients can read this.

I know that this thread is being monitored by people within the solar industry and are using the attitudes of window cleaners who have commented on it, to shape how they approach the regulating of cleaning when the time for it arrives. The industry is not stupid. So as much as people think that my reputation is being damaged on this thread, AMONG THE PEOPLE WHO COUNT TO ME, it most certainly isn't. My reputation is being enhanced.

I did not ring Narec to endorse my course at all. I was enquiring about how much detail they went into for solar panel cleaning and it is true to say, as they agreed, that it was little in comparison to ours. It is more of a cursory look at cleaning as opposed to seeing how exactly to carry it out to the highest of H&S standards and how to make it a major part of your business.

I did ask if they knew of a way to get my course accredited. This is after all what most people's beef seems to be with it. I am interesting in getting it accredited, why would I not be? I thought initially that NAREC had beat me to it and got an accredited solar panel cleaning training course. It was important for me to know, because if they did, firstly I needed to be on it and secondly, my course immediately would lose a certain amount of value. I was reconsidering even going public with it.

After speaking with Narec and finding out their course was self-accredited like mine, but did not carry as much detail, I was confident I should put mine into the marketplace. This thread was started on March 2nd, just after I spoke with Narec. go back on this and other forums and you will see that I first touted the idea of a training course over two years ago and have been working on it ever since. So before you feel I have either stolen or tried to copy their idea, think again.

The conversation ended very amicably with me saying I'd very much like to attend their first course that mentioned cleaning, the one to which you referred. Narec said that they had not run it yet, nor did they have a future date because up until that point, no one had really enquired about it. But rest assured, the first course date they have, I will be on it. Also, I said about meeting up and sharing ideas about a future course, an idea they were open to.

You have chosen to involve yourself in a potential business relationship that was none of your business at all. Sowing cords of discontent for the sake of causing trouble is something that I'm sure not many forum members would like to happen to them and I'm sure is a practice they will frown upon. By doing this and admitting to it, you may have damaged your credibility and people may not be as open with you, knowing that you may well try to do the same to their business relationships. I'd be interested to hear feedback from other forum members about this.

Narec, should you be reading this, please feel free to look back through the entire content of this thread and comment as you feel appropriate. Please also feel free to call me direct to discuss this further. I'm afraid that you have been misinformed and I will be happy to discuss any possibility that we have in working with you in the future.

@Andy you have spoken about me withholding information and being coy with the truth. In light of all of the above, please feel free to share with me your client list and potential clients. The business acumen and skillset I have acquired over the years and the way that I may/may not show you with your clients may well surprise you. Or are you not willing to poke your head high above the parapet like I do? Be brave....

This is 'popcorn stuff'.
Although..........

I see it as

'A' has a big project he can't do on his own. Also the project is a bit unusual and has value.

'A' needs need 'B' X many.

Bloke A wants bloke B to at least have a vague understanding of the project, as it will cost A dearly if it's not correctly undertaken. 'Correct' is an ongoing variable.

There is a cost to B.

An amount to speculate (£240?) on the potential of receiving more work at a price that may or may not be attractive.

There's T shirts involved.

Either 'B' goes 'oh I'll give it a shot' or ' nah not for me'.

No dramas.

As a candidate for B, everything I say is biased.

I'm right though.

Not bothered about spelling.
Summed up perfectly. We are looking forward to seeing you on the day.

I had another attendee for the upcoming course come and visit me over the weekend. I had never met him before, but he teaches window cleaning courses all over the UK for local councils etc. Having seen the vast majority of the outline of what we have to say, he said it is very informative, well-presented and is now more excited than before about attending. Having this feedback has given me a boost of confidence at just the right time.

I can't wait for the 25th. I hope you enjoy it and find it to be value for money whenever you can attend @SPC .

Last edited:
So this trainer you mention is going to find the time to sub from you or have you moved the goalposts again @Solar Steve?

I had another attendee for the upcoming course come and visit me over the weekend. I had never met him before, but he teaches window cleaning courses all over the UK for local councils etc. Having seen the vast majority of the outline of what we have to say, he said it is very informative, well-presented and is now more excited than before about attending. Having this feedback has given me a boost of confidence at just the right time.

I can't wait for the 25th. I hope you enjoy it and find it to be value for money @SPC .

This is how I see it. @Solar Steve wants to corner a market, he has delved deeply into solar panel cleaning. How many of us have pushed solar panel cleaning as much as him, not many I presume as we are all busy cleaning windows. Steve sees a way of becoming rich, his way is to tie cleaners into his company for a fee and training course and in return he will give you work. If you want more work then great, everyone's a winner. You make money and Steve makes money. If Steve offers you work that you think isn't enough, don't do it. Also, his course is to teach people the rights and wrongs in cleaning panels. What would happen if you were to clean a solar farm for him and you fooked up? Who would be to blame, Steve?
All in all I see it as franchising cleaning of panels. If people make money out of it then all is good.

You can't knock a trier :thumbsup:
@Tuffers thanks for the feedback.

I've had a property cleaning business for 19 years and because it is pretty much autonomous and does not require much of my personal attention, have been fortunate enough to be able to delve into the solar world without it affecting my other business.

I don't view this as being a way to be rich. For me, this has nothing to do with money. I take the money, but I don't need the money. for me, this was about having the seed of a good idea and making it grow. No one in the UK was offering solar panel cleaning that I cold find anywhere in the UK before us. I searched high and low and could not find a soul.

For me, this was about pioneering a brand new field of industry within the UK market. It was about the thrill of the chase. Could we be the first to successfully tackle 'x' job? Yes, we did those things,

1. The largest ground mount cleaning at the time: http://www.solar-panel-cleaners.com/british-gas-use-clean-solar-solutions-ltd-for-solar-panel-cleaning-at-toyota-derby

2: The largest roof mount cleaning to date twice: http://www.solar-panel-cleaners.com/solar-panel-cleaning-for-hampshire-cosmetics-anesco followed by: http://www.solar-panel-cleaners.com/solar-panel-cleaning-staples-northamptonshire

3. The cleaning of the UK's first ever floating solar farm: http://www.solar-panel-cleaners.com/solar-panel-cleaning-at-the-uks-first-floating-solar-farm

4. Cleaning over 60,000 solar panels in just 6 weeks.

There are other 'firsts' which we have in the pipeline, but I can't give away what they are!

Now though, my focus has changed away from the 'firsts', our reputation is built. Now it is about continuing to be pioneers by plowing the furrow regarding training and professionalising this new industry. The course contains material which on the face of it is inflammatory, but after we explain the stance we take, will hopefully be understood as being the best way forward.

As it stands, if someone goes under our umbrella and messes up, I carry the can. By training, we will reduce the chance of a mess up dramatically. If there are any questions, relationships have been built and ongoing, on-site information can be given to our subcontractors. It protects us and will stand the subcontractor in good stead for any further projects they look to tackle off their own bat.

Our trained subcontractors will not need to make the same mistakes we did. Mistakes that can easily cost you £240 in lost time too...

So this trainer you mention is going to find the time to sub from you or have you moved the goalposts again @Solar Steve?
Exactly right @Smurf. His teaching is not 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year, so like me, he can explore other options that seem valuable. He sees immense value in this. Not just from work that we can pass to him, but in enhancing his own company too. For £240.00, he says it's ridiculous NOT to come.

So he is going to sub for you?

Lets make this clear you are only after subs in certain areas not already covered as it's not an open house training course right?

He has a multiple van operation in the Derby area and yes, he will be subbing for us, whilst displaying our logo on his van, website and wearing our hi-viz vests. the T-shirt thing is out of the window.

You've asked this before, but we are not training two companies in one area. There is no benefit to us or subcontractors if we do that. It devalues us, their companies, the training and the much-maligned certificate.

Just curious that's all as is a pity it's not an open house no strings attached training & certified course as I think a lot more would benefit.

Of course a lot more would benefit! We certainly wouldn't though! :)

Who on earth would tell everyone everything and set up a load of competing companies for £200? Mindless businessmen maybe. Certainly not me though! :)

How many houses on average in the UK have solar panels installed just now, and what are the projections for say 2020? < Serious question by the way.

But you are allowing you subs to do just that as you said yourself they can do their own solar panel jobs too so what is stopping them setting up a rival national company or even training courses if they wanted?:rolleyes:

Of course a lot more would benefit! We certainly wouldn't though! /emoticons/smile.png
Who on earth would tell everyone everything and set up a load of competing companies for £200? Mindless businessmen maybe. Certainly not me though! /emoticons/smile.png

How many houses on average in the UK have solar panels installed just now, and what are the projections for say 2020? < Serious question by the way.
600,000 currently. There will be significantly more by 2020.

But you are allowing you subs to do just that as you said yourself they can do their own solar panel jobs too so what is stopping them setting up a rival national company or even training courses if they wanted?:rolleyes:
@Smurf the thread is about a solar panel cleaning training course, not every detail about my business plan. You know enough now to make a decision about if you wish to attend.

You'd be made very welcome on the day if you want to come along...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back