Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Split charger or no split charger

WCF

Help Support WCF:

smearclear

I am using a Cargo split charger on a 09 transit connect van. Now having problems, battery losing charge split charger not working. (1)Has any one ever used the main battery to run pumps 4 water. (2) Also what it the best charger and (3) Is Cargo split chargers any good.

Never had an issue with one of those Durite copy VSR's tbh @smearclear . I had and still have an M Power one. The only difference I could see was the cut in cut out voltage difference.

You need to explain why it's not working. When charging the leisure battery with the van's engine running, is there an LED light confirming the unit is operational? If not, has the unit got a good earth? Is it not charging at all or is using a VSR not charging the battery enough?

Because of the reliability of these VSR's I would initially suspect your leisure battery either needs to be fully recharged or the leisure battery needs replacing.

If you don't do much mileage, then there is very little chance of the van's alternator recharging your leisure battery fully. BTW, the same applies to the van's starter battery. Both batteries only accept a recharge at a slow rate, although a starter battery can output the high amperage the starter motor requires to start the engine.

I have a 62 plate Peugeot Boxer. I have used both my M Power VSR (voltage sensing relay btw) and a Sterling BB1260 battery to battery charger. Whilst my b2b charger boosts my van's alternator charge voltage to 14.2v from 13.9v, the charge rate difference is not noticeable. 99% of our work is with a 10 mile radius of where we live, and that not sufficient travelling time or mileage to recharge my leisure battery.
I've been finding more and more that I plug my van in every night to fully recharge my leisure and van starter batteries. I just add my frost heater in the winter.

If you do a search, you will find I have made dozens of comments about leisure battery recharging over the years. I have also added a post in the DIY section.

I first had a split charger fitted to my ‘06 Transit Connect. This immediately highlighted that I needed a new alternator, as the main battery was going flat. New alternator, and problem solved. Everything worked fine. I’ve now got a ‘08 Trafic with the same split charger fitted. It all works well. But because my work is fairly local, I do have to top up the leisure battery once a month with an overnight charge. I run a surflo pump and electric reel off my leisure battery.

I am using a Cargo split charger on a 09 transit connect van. Now having problems, battery losing charge split charger not working. (1)Has any one ever used the main battery to run pumps 4 water. (2) Also what it the best charger and (3) Is Cargo split chargers any good.
I would say buy a durite relay & a noco charger, charge both batteries to full, if the main van battery goes flat quick you need a new battery..

If the cleaning battery goes flat, check the fuses on the relay, they break easy on all relays, you should also check any wiring set ups for corrosion or poorly earthed wires, NEGATIVE wires do this a lot and bleed power away from the battery when poorly attached or dirty, they may need to be cleaned or replaced...

If you really can not work it out, you can ask Sunny @ the window cleaning warehouse in whillenhall he knows everything about split charge relays, really nice chap helped me out a bunch...

Back