Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tank outlet

WCF

Help Support WCF:

JEM

Morning all
I'm picking up a 500lt Wydale tank today I know they have a 1" BSP fitting, just after some ideas on what is the best fittings to use are, I would like to have a ball valve straight from the tank and then a t-piece so I can have an outlet to fill the backpack up occasionally, then the other T to the pump maybe with both them outlets also having a ball valve

Does anyone use JG fittings from the tank, just want it a leak free as possible with as few joints as possible.

Enjoy the Coronation!!

You only need 1 ball valve at the tank and one at the end of the second hose so you can fill the backpack easily. That's what I have.

But be aware that as the water level in your tank drops, the flow of water from the second hose also drops and can be just a trickle.

If my son is using the backpack he mostly uses the second pump on very reduced flow to fill a plastic container to decant into the backpack when it's empty.

Last edited:
To fill a BP occasionally either drop the jobs that need a BP or just buy x2 25ltr containers for around £6 each and fill those at home, I'd sooner drop the jobs

Yep I have 12 24ltr drums already so worse case can use them, just would be good to have a spare outlet that's all.

It's more the fixings I need for the tank

Seems I need a 1" male thread to go into the female thread of the tank, then I need a male thread to allow the ball valve to screw into that, so that's 3x connections so far
or am I overcomplicating it, just looking on Screwfix

Seems I need this to get started with just one outlet, then I need something to screw into the ball valve? Maybe another 1/2 male fitting with a hozelock fitting? seems like a lot of potential leaks!

fittings.jpg

Yep I have 12 24ltr drums already so worse case can use them, just would be good to have a spare outlet that's all.

It's more the fixings I need for the tank

Seems I need a 1" male thread to go into the female thread of the tank, then I need a male thread to allow the ball valve to screw into that, so that's 3x connections so far
or am I overcomplicating it, just looking on Screwfix

Seems I need this to get started with just one outlet, then I need something to screw into the ball valve? Maybe another 1/2 male fitting with a hozelock fitting? seems like a lot of potential leaks!

View attachment 28589

I too have a 350 litre Wydale tank and have recently replaced my connections from the tank as I was having an issue with a weeping joint that I couldn’t stop.

My original setup was exactly as you have listed above and my only caution for this is that I struggled to get all three of those connections tight enough and also ensure that the tap is still in an operable angle - i.e, not upside down or on an angle!

My solution to this when replacing was to use the following items from Screwfix.

Still the 1” and 1/2” bush, but then this item:

Then a very short amount of 15mm copper pipe, which joined to this item - which has an isolation valve and goes straight onto my Shurflo pump:

This has worked really well and allows for some flexibility depending on where your tank outlet is situated in relation to your pump.

Be great to see how you get on and hear your ideas as I’m always open to learning for if I need to change my system in the future.

Hope you manage to get sorted ??

Tefen 1/2" male thread to 1/2" barb branch tee.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I've actually got this on the tank (but with Hozelock connection on the end) when I bought the tank second hand but I wasn't sure if it was ok and wanted a T-to-fill backpack in the future.
I filled the tank up with 300ltrs (500ltr tank) and it seems all ok, I've also got the parts listed above from Screwfix and will fit them but I still need a male T piece to fit inside the 1/2 ball valve I got from Screwfix. So it's a work in progress until I get all the parts and when the tank is next empty!

Your solution above looks like a good one also

IMG_20230508_092309.jpgIMG_20230508_092207.jpgIMG_20230508_092455.jpg

Here's my current setup. The yellow hose goes to the tap to fill the backpack. The clear hose is divided into 2 to feed both pumps. Will find a photo of my first van where I split a single hose coming from the tank into 2 for both pumps and then onto the tap.

This setup worked fine for many years. I didn't have a ball valve on the outlet of the tank. On the couple of occasions I needed to stop the water flow, I used my vice grips to squeeze the plastic pipe closed.

Various 072.jpg

Thanks Spruce, seeing that makes it a lot easier to work out what I need in my head!
I think once I fit the ball valve from Screwfix I'll use a 1/2 BSP plastic T like you have, then one outlet with hose to another ball valve for the backpack then the other outlet straight to the pump

This setup worked fine for many years. I didn't have a ball valve on the outlet of the tank. On the couple of occasions I needed to stop the water flow, I used my vice grips to squeeze the plastic pipe closed.

View attachment 28604
I find theses very good if you want an in-line tap on half inch hose they are 100% leak proof either open or closed used them for years .

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2508.jpeg
    IMG_2508.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 9
Sorry to divert the thread but noticed your gutter vac @spruce - well I assume it's a gutter vac? Just wondering what make and model it is?
Looking into getting a compact gutter vac and don't recognise that one so thought it might have been one I missed.
Cheers
Back in 2016 SpaceVac (then part of the SVT Group) decided that they would be a gutter vac supplier to our industry so became an exhibitor on the trade show that year organized by Mark Munro.
They were using a single motor 30 litre Vacmaster vacuum supplied by Cleva (head office in Newcastle). Poles are 45mm carbon fibre poles that push and clip together with bicycle style trouser type sprung C clips.

I wasn't at the show, but @kevinc250 was, and suggested to me that they were good valve for money. I have found mine to be pretty good, but find it's best to fill the gutter with water to make the contents sloppy. What Kevin and I didn't know that just before the show the company went bankrupt, so it took us both ages and lots of chasing to get the order fulfilled. (We complained to Mark that he should vet each trade show exhibitor to prevent something like this happening again, but he didn't feel that was his job. We eventually got our kit in dribs and dabs (about 3 months if memory serves me), but we could have lost everything. If we go to a trade show now, we will be very careful buying off the stands unless it's a recognized supplier.)

TBH it's been good and kept me off ladders, but I have decided not to advertise this as a service. I will do it for existing customers who know I have this equipment and have cleared their gutters before over the years. I don't have a generator and on investigating with the manufacturers (via Cleva) I would need a 5kwa generator to account for the start-up current draw. Out of interest, I did look at trying to find a soft start, but it never came to anything. We have a number of small businesses just offering gutter clearing, and I'm happy for them to have the hassle.

I have bought replacement filters from Cleva.

We have had a couple of letters from the council (we used to do work for the council) that we needed a waste carriers licence if we take gutter clearing debris off site. We haven't found that an issue, as the drum gets emptied in a corner of the customer's garden. What I hate is the clean-up when I get home. The flexible hose and each tube needs to be cleaned, as well as the vacuum cleaner's innards. That can take up to 40 minutes. I let the pipes dry in the garage overnight, and usually bring the gutter vac inside to dry out. What I hate is trying to get the excess water out of the flexible hose. It goes back into a string bag, so it doesn't have to be dry, but I don't want excess water dripping from it into the van.

The poles are put back into their carrier bag when dry, and they are secured by three straps across the bulkhead where it meets the roof. We did get a camera and monitor with the system, which works ok, not brilliant, so we need good light to see gutter contents clearly. I carry everything in the van, but not the camera. Gutter clearing is prearranged in advance with the customer, as I need to plug my extension into their power socket. I also have added an earth leakage plug to the kit.

If you are thinking about this, then I would look at Gutter Vacuum Systems. The single motor does work ok, but having 3 would be much better. But I can't justify spending money on a much bigger system, especially being in the twilight of my working career.

Last edited:
Back in 2016 SpaceVac (then part of the SVT Group) decided that they would be a gutter vac supplier to our industry so became an exhibitor on the trade show that year organized by Mark Munro.
They were using a single motor 30 litre Vacmaster vacuum supplied by Cleva (head office in Newcastle). Poles are 45mm carbon fibre poles that push and clip together with bicycle style trouser type sprung C clips.

I wasn't at the show, but @kevinc250 was, and suggested to me that they were good valve for money. I have found mine to be pretty good, but find it's best to fill the gutter with water to make the contents sloppy. What Kevin and I didn't know that just before the show the company went bankrupt, so it took us both ages and lots of chasing to get the order fulfilled. (We complained to Mark that he should vet each trade show exhibitor to prevent something like this happening again, but he didn't feel that was his job. We eventually got our kit in dribs and dabs (about 3 months if memory serves me), but we could have lost everything. If we go to a trade show now, we will be very careful buying off the stands unless it's a recognized supplier.)

TBH it's been good and kept me off ladders, but I have decided not to advertise this as a service. I will do it for existing customers who know I have this equipment and have cleared their gutters before over the years. I don't have a generator and on investigating with the manufacturers (via Cleva) I would need a 5kwa generator to account for the start-up current draw. Out of interest, I did look at trying to find a soft start, but it never came to anything. We have a number of small businesses just offering gutter clearing, and I'm happy for them to have the hassle.

I have bought replacement filters from Cleva.

We have had a couple of letters from the council (we used to do work for the council) that we needed a waste carriers licence if we take gutter clearing debris off site. We haven't found that an issue, as the drum gets emptied in a corner of the customer's garden. What I hate is the clean-up when I get home. The flexible hose and each tube needs to be cleaned, as well as the vacuum cleaner's innards. That can take up to 40 minutes. I let the pipes dry in the garage overnight, and usually bring the gutter vac inside to dry out. What I hate is trying to get the excess water out of the flexible hose. It goes back into a string bag, so it doesn't have to be dry, but I don't want excess water dripping from it into the van.

The poles are put back into their carrier bag when dry, and they are secured by three straps across the bulkhead where it meets the roof. We did get a camera and monitor with the system, which works ok, not brilliant, so we need good light to see gutter contents clearly. I carry everything in the van, but not the camera. Gutter clearing is prearranged in advance with the customer, as I need to plug my extension into their power socket. I also have added an earth leakage plug to the kit.

If you are thinking about this, then I would look at Gutter Vacuum Systems. The single motor does work ok, but having 3 would be much better. But I can't justify spending money on a much bigger system, especially being in the twilight of my working career.
Thanks very much. I am leaning towards the GVS Panther (1700 watts), as I'm quite tight on space in the van. Plus if I decide to get a geni it's only needs a small one.
Thanks for the info.

Thanks very much. I am leaning towards the GVS Panther (1700 watts), as I'm quite tight on space in the van. Plus if I decide to get a geni it's only needs a small one.
Thanks for the info.
Can highly recommend the panther. Had mine over a year now. Absolutely brilliant for the money. Only downside is there is no drain plug fitted. I upgraded to a 10 metre hose for mine. It makes life much easier.

Thanks for the info.
They were promoting a small vacuum unit of 1400 watt if memory serves me with a 2kwa generator. But as I said earlier, the manufacturer of my 'head unit' said I needed a 5kwa generator.
I had thought of hiring a 2kwa and trying it. I did look locally, and no local hire shops had any generator that size. It is really not a problem not having a generator, as I have only used my gutter vac 3 times this year. It's more of an inconvenience having to prearrange for an extension lead to be left outside for us.

Again, for me as well, space is a major problem and I would have no room for a large gutter vac in my van. Mine is fine for the odd job, but I believe you need to be serious about gutter clearing to justify the larger unit.

We do have a few local windies who now refuse to do gutter clearing and conservatory roof cleans. In the early days when I was short of work, I would take on gutter clearing for these guys as I hoped the customer would swap over to me for window cleaning as well. It really happened, so we decided quite a while back to not do these jobs for customers who had an existing window cleaner any longer.

Now we have a few guys just offering gutter clearing in our area. If my customers use them, I'm happy for them to do this.

Latest Posts

Back