Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Types of ladders.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Im trying to decide what ladders to get, I phoned BPS ladders yesterday, was asking about the smurf ladder, I want a ladder that does it all. What my question was asking is, can you use the middle and top section as an extension ladder by itself, without the bottom section with stabilser bar for those windows that have access issues that dont allow the wide bar to fit, answer is no.

So big dilemma for me, I dont use ladders too much, but the one I have is a DIY rated youngmans for doing windows, I prefer getting a trade ladder, thought about Titan triple that is just 10cm short of the smurf ladder, but could do gutters if need be. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Titan-Classic-Triple-Extension-Extended/dp/B005D782XM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_27?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SASN36432RYQQMZ6SPT However I like the idea of stabilser bar

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ladders fitted with ropes also have special locking mechanisms for the ladders to be raised or lowered so I can't see an aftermarket ladder rope kit if you could get one work very well. Not only that drilling any holes in the ladder to fit such a thing could alter the integrity of the ladder strength.

I’m still intrigued though so could you post the vid link you were looking at?

A pulley system that attaches to your ladder that enables you to extend you ladders with a rope, I've seen them on YouTube.

You can take only the top section off a bps ladder. I did ask if they do a conversion small stabiliser bar that could replace the larger one and guess what they said "NO as they are fitted for extra safety as standard" which makes sense.

To be honest if I can get by most I have come across to date but also have a standard 12 rung triple with an ankalad fitted for the odd one if need be. However If I don't want or can't use a ladder then I will clear the gutters out by guttervac instead also look at alternative access if need be too if something needs sorting out like replacing joints etc.

I find it just the right size for the jobs I do by ladder as I don't do taller ladder work now.

Thanks Smurf, So is a twelve rung what I should be looking for to replace mine?

My 12 rung triples are 8.5 metre and heavy

I use them for everyday window cleaning so am now used to the weight but i could imagine they would be heavy for someone who uses them occasionally

triple trade ladders are made of heavier ,thicker alloy than double trades . i.e. the 1st two sections of a triple 10 rung ladder are not made the same as a double 10 rung ladder . dont be tempted to buy a triple and think that you can use the first 2 sections for regular day-to-day window cleaning work-because swinging the extra weight around will hurt you if you are busy .

I use all 3 sections as my day to day ladders

Don't take long to get used to it

But the ankalad digs into my shoulder with all that weight on it

What is a good ladder for regular second storey window cleaning with stability so it doesn't flex much?

I have bought the BPS 12 rung x 3 combi for gutter, and the 3-way combi for inside my house to use as a step ladder to get to my loft as my old one was cheap, heavy and dangerous.

I'm not a wimp but I wouldn't like to mess around too much with the triple all day - if I end up with a round that is

View attachment 3501 iv got several LYTE trade doubles , 10 rung that my crew and i use just for regular window cleaning . these are reasonably light and i like these,they never flex . trade ladders of all makes are obviously well made

prior to getting LYTE i used youngman domestic ladders,these are very popular with 1 man windies ,i see loads of windies using these for they are light and dont flex much . downside of them theyv square rungs with very little grip pattern on the rungs -that grip wears off within 6 months and on rainy days they become lethally slippy if you get careless . id never let an employee use a domestic ladder

nearest in my photo are two sets of Lytes double 10s ,stacked on top of each other / behind them is a pole tube and behind that is a Lyte triple 10 , thats my current set up

Last edited:
The plus side with triples being used on normal houses is they don't flex at all

My 12 rung triples are 8.5 metre and heavyI use them for everyday window cleaning so am now used to the weight but i could imagine they would be heavy for someone who uses them occasionally
I guess I am pretty strong but still I do not see the point to carry too much weight around gates,houses and custys cars

If i know i don't need the ankalad sometimes i just use the top 2 sections

Downside is the section on the floor isn't quite as wide then

Back