Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unger S-Channel Plus

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Bought a s channel, could barely use it, seems to grip the glass, changed to razorblade rubber, bit better, but still sticking to window, think the dog ear ends are maybe too extreme, when I get the chance will get the hacksaw out and play about to get it to work.

Bought a s channel, could barely use it, seems to grip the glass, changed to razorblade rubber, bit better, but still sticking to window, think the dog ear ends are maybe too extreme, when I get the chance will get the hacksaw out and play about to get it to work.
When I dog ear on standard channels I find that the bend in is absolutely critical. I find that once bent, as you eyeball it from the end there must be no distortion of the rubber. for me it works best when the channel end is barely touching the rubber. Just grab a pair of pliers and adjust in very small increments.

I'm honestly not having any problems with it, been using it for a week with the Unger soft in it. Yesterday though I noticed it was leaving residue on the glass, flipped the rubber round, better, but still leaving a bit. Whacked some Moerman rubber in it, no residue left on glass and the slip and glide was pretty damn good. Won't get much life out of the Moerman rubber but great while it lasts.

I got my free one sent from unger the other day. Only had a quick play with it but I'm afraid I just don't like the whole dogearing thing, whether it be homemade, liquidator, or splus -just don't like it. Fair play to unger for sending a load out though. Now I'm just waiting for them to mass produce the carbon fibre handles in an XL version for a proper price (£30max).

Got my free one as well, I can see what people mean when they say it feels as though it "grips" the glass.

Not a fan so far but might try and persevere with it.

Does anybody know if its better to cut the rubber in the S-plus so it is flush with the dog earring?

The channel I got sent, the rubber (like in the pics) was over hanging a lot either side o the channel where the actual dog earring is.

Does cutting it flush make the difference?

Does anybody know if its better to cut the rubber in the S-plus so it is flush with the dog earring?
The channel I got sent, the rubber (like in the pics) was over hanging a lot either side o the channel where the actual dog earring is.

Does cutting it flush make the difference?
As soon as I got mine, I chopped the rubber down so it's just slightly proud of the channel, just enough to buff against the frames without damaging them. The less rubber overhanging the channel, the better for less detailing.

No probs Cozzie. Let me know if it works ok for you :thumbsup:
Tried this today, cut the rubber dead flush with the dog earring and i've got to say I was surprised, it worked a treat to be honest.

The free one I got sent, had the rubber over hanging the sides by quite some way, took it straight out of the pack and used it as it was and didn't like it, but cutting it flush made all the difference.

The detailing was pretty much non existent and the stuff that occasionally was left was pretty minimal. The "grip" was still there but not as bad, so i'm thinking it is probably just a case of trying to wear the rubber in a bit.

The one I got sent was a 12" though, I prefer using 14", but I was impressed enough to say I will probably order a 14 one to use regularly.

I'm gonna try a razr red rubber in it in due time too, which should make it better.

I have a Liquidator as well which is doing me good at the moment but it can never hurt to have a few spares and a few more strings to your bow!

Tried this today, cut the rubber dead flush with the dog earring and i've got to say I was surprised, it worked a treat to be honest.
The free one I got sent, had the rubber over hanging the sides by quite some way, took it straight out of the pack and used it as it was and didn't like it, but cutting it flush made all the difference.

The detailing was pretty much non existent and the stuff that occasionally was left was pretty minimal. The "grip" was still there but not as bad, so i'm thinking it is probably just a case of trying to wear the rubber in a bit.

The one I got sent was a 12" though, I prefer using 14", but I was impressed enough to say I will probably order a 14 one to use regularly.

I'm gonna try a razr red rubber in it in due time too, which should make it better.

I have a Liquidator as well which is doing me good at the moment but it can never hurt to have a few spares and a few more strings to your bow!
Not sure why they don't pre cut the rubbers at a more sensible length, so they don't overhang the channel so much!

Got Moerman soft in my 12" Like it a lot, glides beautifully on the glass. Haven't tried rzr red in it yet.

I'm gonna order a 14" too, and I must get around to cutting the angles and so on....

Me and my Liquidators aren't talking at the moment :hey:

Just done it myself, totally agree. Tiny bit of grip just like my homemades sometimes did. Not keen, but better then initially thought, minimises detailng, and no bits to wear out, fall off etc.

....but I'm still sticking to normal channels./emoticons/biggrin.png

Any modded channel needs the rubber tight to the tip..otherwise it will always ride up on rubber sills defeating the object

Not sure why they don't pre cut the rubbers at a more sensible length, so they don't overhang the channel so much!
Got Moerman soft in my 12" Like it a lot, glides beautifully on the glass. Haven't tried rzr red in it yet.

I'm gonna order a 14" too, and I must get around to cutting the angles and so on....

Me and my Liquidators aren't talking at the moment :hey:
Haha, I know what you mean with the Liquidators, I was close to binning mine off because it was too temperamental but I chucked in my own cut Razr Red rubber, decided to give it one more chance and since then it hasn't given me any problems. I agree though it is rather annoying how problematic they are, but if you can get it right its not a bad blade at all.

Just done it myself, totally agree. Tiny bit of grip just like my homemades sometimes did. Not keen, but better then initially thought, minimises detailng, and no bits to wear out, fall off etc.
....but I'm still sticking to normal channels./emoticons/biggrin.png
I know what you mean, will order a 14 and just probably keep it as a spare, can see it coming in handy for some awkward shop fronts I have.

At the end of the day, its always best to use whatever you are comfortable with and what suits you, everyone's different.

Haha, I know what you mean with the Liquidators, I was close to binning mine off because it was too temperamental but I chucked in my own cut Razr Red rubber, decided to give it one more chance and since then it hasn't given me any problems. I agree though it is rather annoying how problematic they are, but if you can get it right its not a bad blade at all.
Weirdly, when I first started using the liquidator, apart from the odd technique issue, I had it working ok! Then it just deteriorated in to madness. Tried everything. Rzr red, crimping clips, straightening clips blah blah blaaarghhhh :mad:

Latest Posts

Back