Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Unlicensed window cleaners (Scotland)

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mate, just be careful. Some folk are reasonable and are happy to cause you issues. You may be best just letting it be and focusing on your own work and life. You’ve obviously had battles in your own life and well know they’ll always be another battle to wage, better not to take on extra ones. 

You're right about choosing battles and you're right about being careful, but some battles are important. I like a quiet life too. It will all be delt with 'the right way'!  :1f44d:

I cleaned some solar panels in Scotland last week. Should I have had a license?
I imagain it depends on the context. If they were stand-alone pannels and not on a building with windows, I'd say not, but I'm only guessing. 

I would ask the Licensing department of the Local Authority area you were working in. It would be down to the interpretation of the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.

I cleared a couple of houses gutters today and wfp their windows after it. I don't think you would need a license because its just a one off. I think the license is for repetitive window cleaning. fwiw

I cleared a couple of houses gutters today and wfp their windows after it. I don't think you would need a license because its just a one off. I think the license is for repetitive window cleaning. fwiw

Surley window  cleaning is window cleaning wether it’s a one off or regular clean , if you need a licence to do it then it would apply to one offs as well ?..., 

I would love a window cleaners license in England, bag head window cleaners give the professional window cleaners a bad name, if  the license came in to force in England like it is in Scotland then it would be a bonus for all of us professional legitimate businesses

The UK window cleaning license will come in to force in the next decade i can see it. but i dont really mind paying £300.00 a year for a window cleaning license. it will take away a lot of rogue window cleaners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surley window  cleaning is window cleaning wether it’s a one off or regular clean , if you need a licence to do it then it would apply to one offs as well ?..., 

A one off yes but not if you are paid to clear gutters and you drop stuff on the windows by doing so. You are only cleaning up what you have dropped on the window and sill.

I would love a window cleaners license in England, bag head window cleaners give the professional window cleaners a bad name, if  the license came in to force in England like it is in Scotland then it would be a bonus for all of us professional legitimate businesses

The UK window cleaning license will come in to force in the next decade i can see it. but i dont really mind paying £300.00 a year for a window cleaning license. it will take away a lot of rogue window cleaners.
dont be an idiot...nobody wants to pay £300 for a licence in england......it wont stop the dole boys,bag heads,etc anyway......loads of window cleaners work without a licence in scotland and have done for many years......its not enforced......

dont be an idiot...nobody wants to pay £300 for a licence in england......it wont stop the dole boys,bag heads,etc anyway......loads of window cleaners work without a licence in scotland and have done for many years......its not enforced......
If its not enforced then why pay the money ? You only pay the money if it is enforce lol

In Scotland this is a local authority matter, cops won't touch it. If, in the very unlikely event anything comes of it at all, he will most likely get a slap on the wrist at worst. And you will have made an enemy for life - especially now you've made it obvious that you're the one who's stuck him in. I get where you're coming from but it's not worth the hassle. I don't waste time thinking about the competition. Just head down, get on with doing a good job.

As for Mull, I would be building log cabins for birdwatchers to live in. Tourism on the West Coast won't be cooling down in my life time with all those Chinese and Russians visiting so my relative told me. She owns a BnB in Skye which is full up all year round.
How Covid19 changed some things we never thought possible!

Nothing, I don't like to cause harm people and moreover I don't have anything with them because I clean my windows by myself. Some months ago, I thought about calling a window cleaner company, but fortunately, I found out the best cleaning tools from window cleaning south africa  When I clean the windows I don't like when remains some marks because I like everything to be perfect and it took me a while to find the best cleaning tools. However, try to stay positive and not to cause harm.
You based in South Africa !

How Covid19 changed some things we never thought possible!
Yes, no one knows the future. They sold the BnB and moved up to Inverness. We will find that 80% of the economy will be trending down but 20% will be trending up the way. I think cleaning will go up the way but you might need to diversify by doing add-ons. ?

Yes, no one knows the future. They sold the BnB and moved up to Inverness. We will find that 80% of the economy will be trending down but 20% will be trending up the way. I think cleaning will go up the way but you might need to diversify by doing add-ons. ?
I'm trending to agree. The long term financial implications of this lockdown are still to be seen.

If the predicted 1930's depression is a result then very few will have the money to pay for window cleaning or any other add on services.

We don't have to look far for examples of countries that printed money to pay the workers when the country was financially bankrupt; Zimbabwe is one example.

An old workmate of mine from South Africa usually goes up to Kariba fishing once a year. He sent me a photo of 2 notes he had in his wallet. Each was a million Zim dollars (with a couple of zeros missing) and not worth one sheet on a roll of toilet paper. 

It was only the 'privileged' who could deal in US dollars as it was illegal for the common man to have them.

I've still got a 3" thick wad of notes that I ended up fetching home with me as they were too small denominations to bother with at the time. I think they were worth around 35p? It was 'only' 10,000 to the £ at the time though. I would love to visit again though, especially Kariba. Amazing place. 

I've still got a 3" thick wad of notes that I ended up fetching home with me as they were too small denominations to bother with at the time. I think they were worth around 35p? It was 'only' 10,000 to the £ at the time though. I would love to visit again though, especially Kariba. Amazing place. 
It's funny how life turns out. When Kariba was completed we drove across the dam wall. That was in 1957. I can remember being in awe at the incredible height of the wall. We lived Mufulira in Northern Rhodesia as it was then. That was the one and only time I visited Kariba.

When the family left Zambia 10 years later we ended up in Bulawayo. Kariba was too far to travel to.

For me the attraction was the Victoria Falls. I just loved that place. The last time I was there was in 1993. I was visiting my mom who lived in Bulawayo from South Africa. There is a road that runs parallel with the upper Zambezi River that goes to the Caprivi Strip with  the border with Angola. In the late afternoon the game walk across the road to go down to the river to drink. It's the most amazing game viewing time.

There was a gravel road from Vic Falls to the upper reaches of Kariba dam but I would never take my car on it as it was so bad. I'm not a fisherman so there was no attraction there for me.

I do miss the beauty of that country but it's just such a financial mess.

Many weekends were spent by us in the Matopos Hills just near Bulawayo. We had so much beauty around us there that we were in our element. But as with most things, it just didn't last.

I'm trending to agree. The long term financial implications of this lockdown are still to be seen.

If the predicted 1930's depression is a result then very few will have the money to pay for window cleaning or any other add on services.

We don't have to look far for examples of countries that printed money to pay the workers when the country was financially bankrupt; Zimbabwe is one example.

An old workmate of mine from South Africa usually goes up to Kariba fishing once a year. He sent me a photo of 2 notes he had in his wallet. Each was a million Zim dollars (with a couple of zeros missing) and not worth one sheet on a roll of toilet paper. 

It was only the 'privileged' who could deal in US dollars as it was illegal for the common man to have them.
you cant compare the uk to zimbabwe though......its never gonna get that bad over here!

you cant compare the uk to zimbabwe though......its never gonna get that bad over here!
The great depression of the 1930's effected the world including America, Britain and Australia. The only difference was it was called the Great Slump in this country. It had its routes in the Great Depression in America which quickly spread through the rest of the world and its effects lasted for around 10 years.

It started with a stock market crash in America. Britain's economy was already struggling to pay for the effects of World War I. Then, in 1929, the US stock market crashed. World trade slumped, prices fell, credit dried up, and many countries protected their domestic market by taxing foreign imports. The value of British exports halved, plunging its industrial areas into poverty: by the end of 1930, unemployment more than doubled to 20 per cent.

There are similarities between the situation now and back then. Britain economy is going to be struggling to pay for the financial situation caused by the reaction to Covid19 as are most other industrial nations.Trust me, there were many of us living in the then Rhodesia's who believed the good times would last forever. They didn't. Many economists are predicting another global financial depression equivalent to the 1930's.

Who of us would have believed it a year ago if someone said the whole world's economy based on manufacture, services and tourism would come to a stand still because of a virus? Sometimes what someone else does can have a major impact on your life through no fault of your own.

America, Australia and India's cold war with China could more than likely draw other nations into an economic conflict with the CCP. The world's economies are on a financial knife edge - all it will take is one to collapse and there will be a chain reaction which will effect many many more. Britain isn't immune to this as it is a participant of the globalization policy introduced many years ago.

It has seemed that window cleaning has been resilient to the fluctuations in the economy in the past, but past history doesn't always indicate what the future will do.

Latest Posts

Back