Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Update 1st 6 weeks in.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I've 17 stops in 4 days to do 205 houses
ive got 25 jobs to clean this week.....i should be finished for 1pm on thursday.....most of them are fairly large though....i cleaned 7 jobs today  (£350 earned and worked 9am-230pm,30 mins for lunch so 5 hours on the glass)..not every day is as good as today but im just gonna enjoy it while its here!?

ive got 25 jobs to clean this week.....i should be finished for 1pm on thursday.....most of them are fairly large though....i cleaned 7 jobs today  (£350 earned and worked 9am-230pm,30 mins for lunch so 5 hours on the glass)..not every day is as good as today but im just gonna enjoy it while its here!?
First cleans and gutter Fascia cleans im Gussing mate ? 

I don’t think anyone should struggle to do £250-300 per day taking it easy , I think far to many undervalue themselves and are afrade to charge a decent price . 
99% of residential window cleaners in my area would snap your hands off for £200 for a full day let alone that amount. It would be doable on compact work but all of that is tied up on £5 - £7 fortnightly jobs round here. Everyone else is chasing the new estates and houses with conservatories on where the cheap trad guys can't do so it's a few houses here and there.

Good on you dazmond ,   posts like this hopefully will be viewed in a positive way showing what’s easily achievable rather than boasting , I feel we should all have a rough pricing structure that’s the same all over the country it would benefit us all .  To many sell themselves far to cheaply , I have just been to Price up a job at £45 8 weekly she cancelled  the previous window cleaner as he was unreliable and wanted to be paid   by go cardless and she doesn’t like that he was charging her £15 a totally unrealistic price , she said she will think about it I explained why the price was so much dearer and to be fair she accepted that £15 was to cheap but needed time to get her head around £45 ????

99% of residential window cleaners in my area would snap your hands off for £200 for a full day let alone that amount. It would be doable on compact work but all of that is tied up on £5 - £7 fortnightly jobs round here. Everyone else is chasing the new estates and houses with conservatories on where the cheap trad guys can't do so it's a few houses here and there.
That’s the whole problem no one should be charging £5-7 for anything it’s unreasonable in this day and age what does that buy you it won’t evan get you fish and chips , this is why I say we should all get together and agree that the minimum price for 3 bed semi will be xxx etc , I know it will never happen but it would benefit  us all , I don’t know a single window cleaner that earns just that figure for  a full days work . 

That’s the whole problem no one should be charging £5-7 for anything it’s unreasonable in this day and age what does that buy you it won’t evan get you fish and chips , this is why I say we should all get together and agree that the minimum price for 3 bed semi will be xxx etc , I know it will never happen but it would benefit  us all , I don’t know a single window cleaner that earns just that figure for  a full days work . 
Totally and utterly unworkable and you don't live in or know my area. If those were standard prices how long do you think it would last? It's illegal to try and enforce it and you'd have everyone trying to jump on the bandwagon as there are very few, if any, low skilled jobs that pay more than £100 a day let alone £300, so prices would be destroyed overnight.

Far better for those that are clever enough to find the better work and let those that are happy to work for less do so.

I don’t think anyone should struggle to do £250-300 per day taking it easy , I think far to many undervalue themselves and are afrade to charge a decent price . 
Going off these forums people are talking now as if 80k a year for a sole trader is normal or having  3-4vans and 500k + turnover

It isn't

The people who are doing well tend not to shout it from the roof tops.

A lot of people on these forums are LTD and it's not hard to look into their financial's and accounts and I can tell you most are telling stories.

I fully agree with you people should get the best price for their time and service and loads undervalue themselves but this industry is full of a lot of bull.

Going off these forums people are talking now as if 80k a year for a sole trader is normal or having  3-4vans and 500k + turnover

It isn't

A lot of people on these forums are LTD and it's not hard to look into their financial's and accounts and I can tell you most are telling stories.

I fully agree with you people should get the best price for their time and service and loads undervalue themselves but this industry is full of a lot of bull.
I agree with what you are saying but a lot don’t work full time or 48 weeks a year @dazmond is a classic example of this he works part time to quote him and earns 50 k per year , good priced work and compact work , is the key to this , I accept certain parts of the country are saturated with window cleaners so it will be much harder there but it’s doable look at @HWCS as an example  if ones have the drive and get out there it is easily achievable. As a sole trader 50-70 k per year is very achievable  @cleaniac is  another classic example of theses figures , some do boast about stuff I agree with you but if ones out in the effort theses figures arnt hard to do . 

Totally and utterly unworkable and you don't live in or know my area. If those were standard prices how long do you think it would last? It's illegal to try and enforce it and you'd have everyone trying to jump on the bandwagon as there are very few, if any, low skilled jobs that pay more than £100 a day let alone £300, so prices would be destroyed overnight.

Far better for those that are clever enough to find the better work and let those that are happy to work for less do so.
I know it would never happen but if it did it would benefit us all why should a 3 bed semi be charged at £5-7 in your area and £12-20 in mine ??? . If I fill my van up with diesel in your area it won’t be half the price to ware I am so why should windiw cleaning prices be so different , we are all our own worst enemies , if we all said a 3 bed semi in Newcastle will be £12 take it or leave it people would either have to pay that or have dirty windows , people would pay , @Green Pro Clean Ltd Always said he could charge the same or very similar prices all over the country with his lead generation so it can be done . 

It isn't

Looking at LTD company accounts from companies house doesn't give an accurate picture of the turnover or the profit and loss account, as most if not all small LTD companies claim exemption for full accounts and are only legally required to submit a statement of the balance sheet, and to a large extent will not reflect the cash flow position of that company. 

For example you can list liabilities down on your balance sheet from all sorts of sources.

1 the directors loan account, including loans made to a new company including goodwill transfer

2 inventory on hand 

3 depreciation, of equipment both outright owned and financed.

4 amortization (in the case of transfer from sole trader to incorporating)

5 special accounts, ie financing of equipment, can all be written down against the balance sheet for the full purchase price in one single tax year even if it takes 5 years to pay down the liability.

So you can have a company that turns over say £250k a year, made 30k profit after wages, but still be at  net loss when taken into account all the above.

The only reall way you can tell the real position of a company is if you look at the full accounts, not the filleted ones and you need access to the actual computers of the company for that. 

So stop throwing a pansy strop and grow up.

?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it would never happen but if it did it would benefit us all why should a 3 bed semi be charged at £5-7 in your area and £12-20 in mine ??? . If I fill my van up with diesel in your area it won’t be half the price to ware I am so why should windiw cleaning prices be so different , we are all our own worst enemies , if we all said a 3 bed semi in Newcastle will be £12 take it or leave it people would either have to pay that or have dirty windows , people would pay , @Green Pro Clean Ltd Always said he could charge the same or very similar prices all over the country with his lead generation so it can be done . 
The problem is that some people don't offer the same quality of service, plus they don't put in the same leg work to get custys. So what would happen is some would brake ranks and undercut as it would be easy to get work. It then starts a race to the bottom. 

We ran holiday apartments in Blackpool and you can see who invests in their business and who doesn't. There is too much accommodation and the council allow new massive hotels with zero parking, making the situation worse but they improve quality, which is good for those that invest. Those who don't invest get no trade so they cut their prices. It then starts a race to the bottom...

We really need to educate our custys so they realise that window cleaners visit their homes on a regular basis and do a great job. No call out charge etc just a reasonable fee for the bespoke service.

@cleaniac is  another classic example of theses figures , some do boast about stuff I agree with you but if ones out in the effort theses figures arnt hard to do . 
I will say that if you live in Surrey, and your working full time and turning over less than 60k a year, your doing something very wrong. 

These days I only work 3.5 days a week, and the half day isn't really evèn a full half day, I earn enough to live and enjoy life. That's it. Money no longer is my only focus, been there done that and my mental health suffered drastically.  I keep the business under vat threshold, take a modest salary both me and the missus, we pay income tax on that salary and the rest of the money stays in the business to save for  retirement in 20 years where we will formulate our exit strategy.

I will say that if you live in Surrey, and your working full time and turning over less than 60k a year, your doing something very wrong. 

These days I only work 3.5 days a week, and the half day isn't really evèn a full half day, I earn enough to live and enjoy life. That's it. Money no longer is my only focus, been there done that and my mental health suffered drastically.  I keep the business under vat threshold, take a modest salary both me and the missus, we pay income tax on that salary and the rest of the money stays in the business to save for  retirement in 20 years where we will formulate our exit strategy.
Totally agree with you Mark , keep up the good work ?

That's the point, not everyone lives in Surrey
I try my best to not get caught up in earnings on forums these days, it's just not polite conversation. However.. 

I would even say that 60k a year outside of Surrey is very much doable, my turnover fluctuates between 60-70k 3.5 days a week, not taking into account covid (down last year around 20 percent due to not doing inside cleans).

All my rounds are very compact, one house after the other. My average price is around the £30-£45 Mark.  My most highest price is £380 currently and I don't have anything less than £25 now.

And this year I have just increased my prices by 13 percent, so that going up.

I tend to clean between 8-12 properties a day depeding on size and when I do work, my full working days are normally 4.5 hours, my half days are anywhere between 1-2 hours.

Now I am not highly priced here, I'm just above average. I know some fellas charging way more than me,  so I think that 60k a year across the country should be easily achievable, not just Surrey. 

Been doing this over 20 years now, and when your youngest customer is 4 years old, and the whole road is your patch, you pretty much have the monopoly over certain areas, but it takes a LONG TIME.

That's the point, not everyone lives in Surrey
No but to a greater degree it can be accomplished all over the uk to a degree , if window cleaners are prepared to quote and do work for silly prices they have no one to blame but themselves , as I said earlier if we all stuck together it would force prices  into the 21 century , it won’t happen I know but all supermarkets all over the country are far more similar in prices fir there products than we are for pricing window cleaning , if I buy a car in Sunderland it will be a bit cheaper than Cornwall but not half the price , it’s the same with everything we are the masters of our own destiny not anyone else 

Latest Posts

Back