Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Upgrade to my first van and set up help/advice

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Mr Clean

Hi all, what better place to ask for some advice.

I am currently happy running back pack from my car, but I am a bit sick of lifting the barrels and filling up, ok its not to bad but just looking at ways to make things a little easier and time saving.

Looking to buy a van now with the idea of putting a tank 250-300L fitted, nothing to big. I will have also 3 or so barrels in there two.

I am not wanting an all singing and dancing van yet, so just want the following and need some advice from people out there whom have done this or know alot more than me and would be kind enough to advise me.

1) I need to find an automatic van thats in price range of 1,500-3k nothing to big your usual caddy berlingo size. Find places that sell vans in auto is harder so if anyone knows of places ot look please let me no. I drive only automatic, personal reeasons, lets say im just happy that I am driving again.

2) Water tank.  I want a 250-300L tank, will get fitted in profssionally screwed down. I only want the tank to dispense water in to my back pack, dont need the pump, batteries etc etc alot of work is across roads etc and dont like using a long hose, I have seen this tank and they guy fills a back pack up form it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iap28QWId0&feature=youtu.be  So basically just want a tank and what ever I need to make it dispense water in to my back pack from a hose.

4) Any other advice around this set up welcome. Just need to know what I need in order to get a tank in the van and secure it and how to dispense water form tank to back pack, simple operation comapred to alot here but thats all i want for now, I happy using back pack and this would save me lifting which is my main thing, plus the van I can set out my tools better etc.

Or is there any working vans being sold in automatic  ?

Thank you very for readint his and to anyone that replies, really appriciate your help and time, trying to learn as much as i can about it all, so its great to hear from people whom are experienced at all this.

Thanks again take care ?

Hi good luck finding an automatic van most are manual. I brought a Vauxhall combo last year I am part read part wfp. I don't put hoses over public footpaths so use backpack but still have quite a few where I park on drive so can use hose . If lifting is a problem go along route that you may want a van mount system in the future . 

Hi all, what better place to ask for some advice.

I am currently happy running back pack from my car, but I am a bit sick of lifting the barrels and filling up, ok its not to bad but just looking at ways to make things a little easier and time saving.

Looking to buy a van now with the idea of putting a tank 250-300L fitted, nothing to big. I will have also 3 or so barrels in there two.

I am not wanting an all singing and dancing van yet, so just want the following and need some advice from people out there whom have done this or know alot more than me and would be kind enough to advise me.

1) I need to find an automatic van thats in price range of 1,500-3k nothing to big your usual caddy berlingo size. Find places that sell vans in auto is harder so if anyone knows of places ot look please let me no. I drive only automatic, personal reeasons, lets say im just happy that I am driving again.

2) Water tank.  I want a 250-300L tank, will get fitted in profssionally screwed down. I only want the tank to dispense water in to my back pack, dont need the pump, batteries etc etc alot of work is across roads etc and dont like using a long hose, I have seen this tank and they guy fills a back pack up form it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iap28QWId0&feature=youtu.be  So basically just want a tank and what ever I need to make it dispense water in to my back pack from a hose.

4) Any other advice around this set up welcome. Just need to know what I need in order to get a tank in the van and secure it and how to dispense water form tank to back pack, simple operation comapred to alot here but thats all i want for now, I happy using back pack and this would save me lifting which is my main thing, plus the van I can set out my tools better etc.

Or is there any working vans being sold in automatic  ?

Thank you very for readint his and to anyone that replies, really appriciate your help and time, trying to learn as much as i can about it all, so its great to hear from people whom are experienced at all this.

Thanks again take care ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Vauxhall-Astravan-1-9-cdti-120bhp-automatic-6-speed-auto-crew-van-85k-miles-/153086039176

Not the most ideal van for wfp window cleaning but do-able.

You won't be able to fill a back pack that fast with a tank in an Astra. The video clip is a upright tank which is full of water. As the tank's level drops it will take longer and longer to fill that backpack.

As has been stated, automatic small Berlingo size vans in your price range are rare. In the early days of common rail diesel engines matching the engine to an auto box was a challenge. Gear changing had to be software controlled rather than vacuum and mechanically controlled. When I worked for Citroen, were told that the expensive of designing and fitting an automatic transmission to a Berlingo van (1999 - 2004) was prohibitive. Customer's wouldn't pay that.

In later years 'automatics' started to be fitted to small cars, but they weren't automatics in the true sense of the way autos work. They still had a clutch plate as per a manual transmission but used electric motors to operate the clutch. The development of 'fly by wire' computer controlled technology meant that even although you had your foot flat on the accelerator, the computer would cut fuel to the engine for the next gear change. Initially those gear changes were very slow and the hesitation between gear changes disappointing but it did improve with time.

Mercedes Benz were the first to fit an auto to their Vito vans, but they were expensive and proven rust buckets.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
something like this perhaps??
https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/vw-caddy-c20-1.9-tdi-dsg-electric-pack-1-previous-owner-fsh/1305194625

looks a good spec, Mileage isn't an issue with these if everything has been serviced on time (ours has 252k on it, my work car of the same engine has 206k, no issues with either) Can probably knock him down a bit further. Think the payload is around 700kg so for a tank in the size you're looking for would be fine.
Wherabouts in the south east are you? Might be someone who may know of one locally.

Hi good luck finding an automatic van most are manual. I brought a Vauxhall combo last year I am part read part wfp. I don't put hoses over public footpaths so use backpack but still have quite a few where I park on drive so can use hose . If lifting is a problem go along route that you may want a van mount system in the future . 
Hiya, thank you very much for the reply.  Yeah all i want is a van I can fill a tank in and fill my back pack up.

Is it easy to make an outlt where it can pump water to the back pack? Or to be honest I would not rule out getting a full set up, dont need the water making faciality as I buy my water. So dont think the set up would cost as much. I am sure i can have a system form van and a system that can fill my back pack up for the houses i can not park right out side on.

Wish i had someone local to me in north kent to have  achat with learnwhats in a van and get some help from dont mind paying someone to help of course. lol.

Alot to learn, i see many make wrong choices so thought best to come here to seek advice form pros. Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Vauxhall-Astravan-1-9-cdti-120bhp-automatic-6-speed-auto-crew-van-85k-miles-/153086039176

Not the most ideal van for wfp window cleaning but do-able.

You won't be able to fill a back pack that fast with a tank in an Astra. The video clip is a upright tank which is full of water. As the tank's level drops it will take longer and longer to fill that backpack.

As has been stated, automatic small Berlingo size vans in your price range are rare. In the early days of common rail diesel engines matching the engine to an auto box was a challenge. Gear changing had to be software controlled rather than vacuum and mechanically controlled. When I worked for Citroen, were told that the expensive of designing and fitting an automatic transmission to a Berlingo van (1999 - 2004) was prohibitive. Customer's wouldn't pay that.

In later years 'automatics' started to be fitted to small cars, but they weren't automatics in the true sense of the way autos work. They still had a clutch plate as per a manual transmission but used electric motors to operate the clutch. The development of 'fly by wire' computer controlled technology meant that even although you had your foot flat on the accelerator, the computer would cut fuel to the engine for the next gear change. Initially those gear changes were very slow and the hesitation between gear changes disappointing but it did improve with time.

Mercedes Benz were the first to fit an auto to their Vito vans, but they were expensive and proven rust buckets.

.Hi, top info! thank you. Not sure on that van. I have seen auto vans, just they have gone sold  or to far away.  I have no option really unless i go sit my manual lessons but tbh i just want to stick with auto.  MIght have to up the £££

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
something like this perhaps??
https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/vw-caddy-c20-1.9-tdi-dsg-electric-pack-1-previous-owner-fsh/1305194625

looks a good spec, Mileage isn't an issue with these if everything has been serviced on time (ours has 252k on it, my work car of the same engine has 206k, no issues with either) Can probably knock him down a bit further. Think the payload is around 700kg so for a tank in the size you're looking for would be fine.
Wherabouts in the south east are you? Might be someone who may know of one locally.

That is perfect but is semi auto i wont be allowed as oly have an auto licence, when younger it was hard for me to drive so took auto, so i need to find a full automatic van, there loads new ones but £££ I a starting out in the van set up so want to start out and biuld properly and learn.

Ideal situation would be a tank that can pump to pole and use on real, but also faciality to pump water to my back pack so i can use that, many properties i have to park on road, so both options be great.   Wish it was easy to just locate a van and fit stuff in but its not lol.  I hae biult my round by seeking advice here and done well i need a van now, I just want to take that step, im not at the DIY and whats needed for the van. so this help is great form you all.  Thank you

I am working in North Kent so anyone whom can help me or I can take a look at what i need would be great.

I would only need the delvery system and real etc, not the water making part and to start with a basic half decent set up thats not to much.
Thanks again all ?

the DSG is an auto. Most websites get confused as its one of the modern style, dual clutch, computer controlled auto boxes. But I assure you, its still the old P R N D setup with tiptronic override if you wish, but there's no clutch pedal that's for sure :1f602: . Seen those boxes called autos, semi-autos and manuals by websites like autotrader.

Back