Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Was so close to taking a fall

WCF

Help Support WCF:

happy days honey pot good

@Smurf me and my mate just laughed at each other as she laughed about me falling

she is barking mad

yeah cheers good to be 100%

Really! this one had me in stiches /emoticons/biggrin.png

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Thats a disgrace......... to laugh at someone who has fallen off a ladder.
it was when i was back working hand in sling

strangly enough 2weeks ago she got pulled off her feet by her dog and wrecked her shoulder needed operation

Talking about ladder safety, a builder from a neigbouring village was foolish enough to leave his ladder propped up against a wall whilst he did something else. It was windy. The ladder came down, falling towards him. He saw it coming and almost got out of the way, but it caught the side of his face.......made a real mess of him. Its one of my golden rules, when not using the ladder, rest it on the ground......you never know.

Talking about ladder safety, a builder from a neigbouring village was foolish enough to leave his ladder propped up against a wall whilst he did something else. It was windy. The ladder came down, falling towards him. He saw it coming and almost got out of the way, but it caught the side of his face.......made a real mess of him. Its one of my golden rules, when not using the ladder, rest it on the ground......you never know.
id a similar experience about 2 years ago , lucky enough i only got a few stitches in the back of the head . a lucky escape there smurf , would you not consider leaving the hip flask at home in the future and youd be a lot safer lol:rofl:

had thought the other day with all the wind we have been having,

had my pole fully extended resting against the wall,a woman just passed with her baby in a pram.had horrible thought if the pole slipt over the top of them

lesson learnt quickly

Yep any type of pole resting against a wall can be a risk for sure. Not only may you break the pole but can easy damage property or a person as it falls.

I've had one or two close calls so now avoid doing that. Mind you leaving stuff on the ground like ladders and poles can be a trip hazzard too if not placed out of the way for yourself and others as I've found out more than once.

Another point about ladder safety. Has anyone ever noticed when up the ladder and you cant quite reach the top of the window, you take that extra step up and you end up with your face nearly in the window, how it really disorientates you. I always swear blind that I wont climb up to that naughty step, but still find myself doing it. Must buy myself one of those tiny squeegee extension poles that are just a few inches long.

good advice that mr taytay...i wouldn't mind a bit of an extension sometimes....we are still talking window cleaning ...i will look into that ..as there have been a few moments like that just that bit too short....i had a bit of a wobble for no reason at the top of my ladder this week and i thought oops a smurf moment....they wake you up from time to time...

I don't do much trad window cleaning using ladders now as prefer wfp. But times when needing to restore plastic frames, window sills etc by hand from a ladder I find using a standoff if placed correctly gives me a much better working position sometimes on two story work as I'm not so close to the windows so don't have to leaning back. Also I've found it handy to use a short pole for the extra reach if/when required.

I'm surprised to be honest that not many UK trad cleaners use a standoff when required as can make the job easier and safer to do.

280.jpg

More pics and info here if interested on what I would say is the best most versatile standoff available for a cleaner. http://www.midlandladders.com/products/The_Ultimate_Square_Wheel_Ladder_Stay-408-25.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Posts

Back